vRSy's Mk2 Fabia vRS project and build

vRSy

Seems no different to when i t was stock. Still hit 45+ on motorway at 75 leptons, and 35-37mpg around town. If i start booting it it drops to around 22-25mpg.

oh and i forgot, then engine mounts and another service will be getting done. 15k on the clock and its had 3 services and god knows how many oil changes now lol.

Nice one mate! It's absolutely quality!

You pull off and it's not as instant as the fabia then after 1 second it's OMFG lol! Coming out of a round about and floor it and it just goes round the corner un like a fwd car lol

• 2 weeks later...

Ill get back to you with that, I need to get a new dyno run. Haven't got the car at the moment. Its in Milton Keynes having a few bits and bobs done.

New intercooler, engine mounts, valve springs (maybe) and some other small non power tweaks such as another service. I'm out the country again until march but it should all be complete then.

• 4 weeks later...

Speaking of fords, they want to hurry up and get the Fiesta ST out. I wonder how that will compare since Ford have had nearly 2 years more development time over the current breed of hot hatches.

I'd be tempted to chop in the Fabia for one of them depending how they go.

It's bound to be fantastic. It'll handle great and go like stink !

That intercooler is a lot bigger than the standard one and looks very well engineered.

I think the problem with new Fords is that the engines are designed for economy and not performance. My 150bhp 1.6 Ecoboost is fairly potent but should be a bit more nippy once remapped. That is when funds allow for it :(

I think Ford are going to put the 182bhp version of the 1.6 Ecoboost engine in the Fiesta ST. In a light car like the fiesta and the engine being super light, it should be very quick with a remap. :devil:

• 2 weeks later...

Put your hands in the air if you need a new power steering/steering rack!!! oh just me then.

Got APR to have a look at a small knock that occured on tight low speed left hand turns. But since dropping it off, the power steering has now completely gone and needs replacing.

Nope not good at all.

The cause from what I gather is the steering rack. It started a small low speed knock only noticable when on full lock turning left. I noticed it a couple trackdays agao, but we could find nothing loose or failing. I had a go in it on saturday to see what it felt like and it was unreal. Steering is absolutely solid and really hard work to turn to the right, however turning it left its hard for about 1/3 of a turn before the resistance disapears altogether.

Heres the big issue. Research with dealers and parts suppliers show that this is a frequent occurance on many Fabias and similar platforms, resulting in steering racks being on back order everywhere. So again, im currently without my car again.

My issue with this is i do alot of trackdays(albeit no where near as many as i would normally do considering ive spent 346 days of the last 730 days out of the country where the car hasnt been driven. Normally i look at upgrading the parts, but thats not a possibility and since i wanted to strip the car out and use it as a pure trackday car at a much higher level ive had to rethink my plans. Its bad enough wandering if its going to start misfiring and burning oil again, let alone now thinking about the car snapping steering racks. its just not an enjoyable experience owning this car. Its the only car ve modified that reacts this way, all my previous ones have been so much more durable.

Im expecting to be away again soon, so over the next 6-12 months the car will be getting 100% stripped back to stock starting with the easy bolt ons. I'll sell the car with the stock turbo and miltek downpipe and APR stage 2 purely as i dont have a "road legal" OEM downpipe to revert to stock 100%. Ill be getting something alot more track focused, possibly a Clio RS200 i think. Slow in a straightline but ultimately able to take the abuse i want without breaking a sweat and still make me smile. Plus it doesnt need £2k of chassis mods to handle well out of the box.

The good news is, my car should be complete power wise before this happens. I just dont think ill be taking it on track again which is a shame because ive enjoyed it.

Mods to sell:

Tarox B30 6 Pots BBK with nearly new 323mm discs and 1000 mile old Mintex M1144 pads.

17" x 7" Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2 lightweight alloy wheels c/w new Federal 595 RSR 215/40R17 semi slicks

H&R Front and Rear ARBs.

VWR Springs

Vibratechniks side-engine and lower dogbone mount.

Pace Products Intercooler and Radiator

VWR Intake

OKADA Plasma Coilpacks

Devils Own Water Mathanol Injection kit

Braille lightweight battery

LOBA LO270 Turbo

OEM decat downpipe

I have an idea of what i want for each or even for the lot in a single sale. I'll let you all know when im ready to do it. Before then though, there are a few more tweaks happening that will maximise the turbo and setup and mapping.

• Like 1

Ill be getting something alot more track focused, possibly a Clio RS200 i think. Slow in a straightline but ultimately able to take the abuse i want without breaking a sweat and still make me smile.

My 197 stays at the dealer more than I drive it. My most recent problem with it is, not was because its still in the workshop since January 20th, complete clutch actuation mechanism failure. Taking that car to a track day was the worst idea ever. The heat migrated from the brakes to the clutch master cylinders through the brake fluid and ultimately melting them. I have to add that I did not face ANY brake fad or drove the brakes to boil.

This is the most recent problem. If you want to know more let me know.

The car is made out chocolate but it is glorious to drive.

Edited by waool1988

• 5 weeks later...

Useless post alert: where did you get the vwr coils from mate. the ride height complimented the car well and need to get the car off skates

Im about 10 miles north of Elgin right on the coast.

In other news

Apparently my car will be finished early next week, typically Im not in the country, ill be in Dubai working. Turns out it was the rack and pump that had failed. All replacement parts are now sourced, so just a few small things and all should be sorted. The car will begin the dismantling process as soon as I get it back. Form an orderly queue gentleman.

Have you found a suitable replacement for it? I wouldn't mind the new Focus ST next year and a simple remap gives nearly 300bhp with no other mods needed. Been in one of these remapped and they are rapid! Easily quicker than my Octy VRS at Stage 2+ and out handled it too.

Im about 10 miles north of Elgin right on the coast.

In other news

Apparently my car will be finished early next week, typically Im not in the country, ill be in Dubai working. Turns out it was the rack and pump that had failed. All replacement parts are now sourced, so just a few small things and all should be sorted. The car will begin the dismantling process as soon as I get it back. Form an orderly queue gentleman.

Where abouts north of Elgin mate?

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2