The car thats surprised me the most...

stugolf

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really, the difference is night and day to me...

GolfvsPolo.jpg

Polo GTI has chromed exhausts (not on your pic). Golf GTI has an ariel (not on your pic). Golf GTI doesn't have the below brake lights to my knowledge. Same boot opening points. Same alloys(!). Same rear window design, same

Really, the difference is night and day to me...

I did not mean that they looked the same from the back, quite the opposite actually, they look so much the same that only their badges at the back make a difference... Have a look and maybe the days starts to look like the night!

That's the Golf

GolfGTI.jpg

And that's the Polo

Resized330x235_L0R11A.jpg

OR maybe its the other way round, I can't tell for sure :giggle: ...

Seriously now, it's an unbelievable copy/paste, all the lines are the same. But that's just my point of view. If somebody is hapy with their car then that's all that matters...

Edited by newbie69

Give me an A1 with Xenons, leather seats, slightly better MPG/road tax and BOSE system and I'd do a swap :thumbup:

You do see quite a few A1s on the road now, mostly driven by tweedy ladies in my experience. The Audi for people who can only just afford one.

I'm not sure the better mpg and tax outweigh the difference between the vRS and the 26K tricked out asking price for an equivalent A1 - and the flappy paddles are STILL an extra!

Nice car! Lovely seats. See that you've got the RCD510 (Bolero), which is something missing from the Fabia.

Having spent time in both the Polo and the Fabia, I have to say the Polo has a nicer interior with better quality material, but whether that justify the extra cost is a more personal view. One thing VW has yet to offer is a Polo size estate GTI, so if you want a little hot estate then Skoda is definitely for you. Another thing is the "mean green" colour, love that colour! Having said that, I would be happy having both.

Edited by My_Yeti

We ( that's me and the missus) when selling the superb2, had a look @ several other marques, BMW 1 series, Audi a1, seat Leon / Ibiza, the c30

The BMW was utter trash no room in the back at all the engine although 2.0 litre was numb, the A1 was a real ugly mug and ride was like sitting on a pile of bricks plus too expensive really over priced, the seat was made of the cheapest plastic I've ever seen, the Volvo was the best of the litter but again no room in the back ( ok if you've no legs) but ok it's a coupe build quality way better than the previous lot, so I Plummed for the fabia's yes I bought 2 of them and generally very happy , although they will both go next year when the lauretta gets launched, so the 60 plate will be going before it's done 10k :(. , love it too bits but I rarely keep a car for more than 2 years, just love the smell of new car ;)

You do see quite a few A1s on the road now, mostly driven by tweedy ladies in my experience. The Audi for people who can only just afford one.

I'm not sure the better mpg and tax outweigh the difference between the vRS and the 26K tricked out asking price for an equivalent A1 - and the flappy paddles are STILL an extra!

Fair few A1's down here as well. Not many TFSI though.

Oh yeh the cost is no way close to being justifiable for an A1. But if you included the options I listed, I'd swap my Fabia for it :yes:

Always loved the C30, the engines are unfortunately linked to Ford which means there not very refined and the 1.6 d and petrol engines are a bit gruff. with the D5 or T5 they really are very good, and they have possibly the most comfortable seats available short of maybe a maybach!

and yes i have actually sat in a Maybach 62!

Edited by Sonner

just been doing the Audi configure thing for the A1, i checked the technical data for a averagely specced 26k 1.4tsfi engine and bby god Audi thinks it the will do a whopping

227MPH!!!!!! not KMPH but MPH,

The technical data also suggests the baby Audi has a 60 litre fuel tank!!!

more realistic data is a 0-62 time of 6.9sec and a combined mpg of 47.2.

if you don't believe me please try it!

http://configurator.audi.co.uk/controller?next=summary-page&mandant=accx-uk

unladen weight 1265kg so a good 50kg lighter than the fabia

Edited by Sonner

Been well documented Skoda weigh their cars with passengers and fuel and maybe even some luggage so it's what it's really like in the real world. I've already had some A1 drivers driving like they have a point to prove. Just last week coming home from work I overtook one on a 40mph dual. He did everything to keep up and weave though the traffic to catch me and then sat on my bumper. We then joined a NSL road where I stuck it into 2nd and slowly accelerated to see if he kept with me and he did. I then buried the throttle and a couple of paddle changes later he was well behind. Had the same thing in my old vRS with Mini drivers

well the Polo 3dr GTI apparently only weighs 1194kg so over 120kgs lighter than the Fabia, i find it hard to imagine hoe they make it so much lighter.

I would think maybe VAG twist the figures a little, but if the POLO is geniunely that much lighter it would explain why it has a 0.4secs quicker 0-62 time.

Oh well.

Whilst regardless of price i would always chose the fabia over the POLO and it's samey looks and defo over the Audi A1 and the image that comes with it!

BUT i do sure envy the options lists, i like that you can tart up the A1 interior for £100 with some metal air vents,

and even at £700 i would certainly spec the BOSE sound system if it where available. at £1000 i wouldn't get the leather but if it where skoda priced at more like £600-700 i would consider that also.

I think leather seats, a nice sound system and some extra shiny stuff on the dashboard would tart the Fabia up nicely. though it would put it in direct price comparsion with the Polo then.

Edited by Sonner

I'll take my vrs over the GTi.....because you can't get the GTi in green! :) haha!

Polo GTI is a very very nice car mate, and being scottish, I love the Tartan seats :p

I'd have one if it were the same price but as everyone else states, you got a cracking deal and new, they're few and far between being even close to the same price. I could have specced every extra and probably still been cheaper to buy the VRS :rofl:

and the A1....RIDICULOUS!!!! and it's absolutely hideous! 2 vrs's for the price of 1 A1.

Hi Guys I recently purchased an almost new Polo GTI 1.4TSI its white with some nice bit of kit like parking sensor's and touch screen DAB radio, cruise etc, done over 1000miles in it last week visiting Cornwall and the car was.... flawless

When I bought the car I didn't expect it to wow me as much as it did, I bought it for more of a practical purpose with my head rather than my heart as it wasn't modified and had a decent amount of space inside and was nice and new so hopefully would be reliable.

My background is mainly dubs (S3's, Cupra R's included) with a 911 thrown in so had my fair share of 200+bhp cars and I am surprised that the Polo is probably the best and one of the quickest. All I've done to it is remap so probably around 210ish bhp and it really is a rocket ship thanks to the 7 speed DSG box and the supercharger keeps the boost going from tick over with the turbo taking over at 3.5k to the redline and I certainly think it punch's well above it weight. Its quiet, comfortable and very well built and with the XDS diff handles well too.

What has impressed me most is the economy, I put £130 of V Power in and got just over 1000miles on that which is almost as good as any diesel, plus £110 a year to tax isn't to shabby.

So for the overall package its surpised the hell out of me and I don't think within a budget I would want another car in the near future as it does everything really well.

I did have a brand new Fabia VRS on order but it was just taking far to long so I found a lovely Polo Gti for sale, I love the Fabia just as much as the Polo and I know it woul've surpised me just as much as the Polo

Some pics of my car:

SAM_1080.jpg

SAM_1077.jpg

SAM_1083.jpg

SAM_1075.jpg

SAM_1071.jpg

In my eyes the best looking car out of the four, I just p/x my VRS, in the 9 months I had it, no one said thay liked it soon as its gone every one tells me how ugly it was, however I loved it

In my eyes the best looking car out of the four, I just p/x my VRS, in the 9 months I had it, no one said thay liked it soon as its gone every one tells me how ugly it was, however I loved it

At the end of the day though, it's not ugly, it's just different. I love my VRS because it's not so run of the mill. It's not like every other hot hatch. It stands out in the crowd. I phone up admiral the other day about my policy and had a 15 minute chat with the guy on the phone about the VRS! (he also told me he was snooping around here sometimes so if your kicking about mate, pipe up! haha)

And who gives a **** what others say about it, you bought it because you like it, end of. :)

Nah i bought my MR2 to get women, and it worked tbh, nothing better than taking a date for a spin in a convertible, especially at my age alot of the girls i had dated had never been in a convertible sports car. once i bagged a long term girlfreind i sold it. it did it's job and moved on to another young lad who will probable get loads of 'clunge' in it

Nah i bought my MR2 to get women, and it worked tbh, nothing better than taking a date for a spin in a convertible, especially at my age alot of the girls i had dated had never been in a convertible sports car. once i bagged a long term girlfreind i sold it. it did it's job and moved on to another young lad who will probable get loads of 'clunge' in it

:rofl: Love it!

I used to have a MK1 Golf back in the day, was dropped to the deck and had the back seats removed a false floor and a massive strut brace, local rumour was it had a "bed" in the back, well lots of girls were intrigued to see it!

The real reason was for weight saving but I wasn't going to argue!

Edited by stugolf

Really? You specificly bought a car to get women and that worked??? How do you do that exactly?? Drive along the street and roll down the window or.....???? :rofl:

Or was it more of a "Hi i'm Sonner, i've got a sports car ;) " kinda deal? :p

I have noticed the green machine attracts a fair bit of attention though, but maybe not so much used for pulling! hahaha!

You don't need fancy posessions to pull ;) they just help! :D haha!

oi dieseldogg, it's a girlie car so of course it attracted girls kinda.

but yes Frobb was right it was kinda "hi i'm Sonner, I've got a convertible sports car(and my other car is a Porsche)"

and it didn't pull the women just helped.

It's not necessarily the car they like, but it makes them think i'm sucessful and some of them like the acceleration too.

it's much better on a 1st/2nd date to turn up in a Sports car than it is my little blue 1998yr felicia is it not!?

though often by the 6th date i've bored them to death with car talk and they get out>... :-(

not my GF though, she just takes it all in, believe it or not... She actually said it's a turn on when i talk cars to her, makes her horny apparently! defo a keeper i thought

Edited by Sonner

oi dieseldogg, it's a girlie car so of course it attracted girls kinda.

not my GF though, she just takes it all in, believe it or not... She actually said it's a turn on when i talk cars to her, makes her horny apparently! defo a keeper i thought

haha!! Dude, TMI!!!!!!

I can see where your coming from though! :p haha!