"Check Deadlocks" on Engine Switch-Off

Weidehopf

My owners manual is in German (and very long!) - does anyone know what this message in the dash display panel means and how I can fix it?

thanks, Jonathan

Yeti Active Plus Edition 2011 - 250km so far and still impressed.

My owners manual is in German (and very long!) - does anyone know what this message in the dash display panel means and how I can fix it?

thanks, Jonathan

Yeti Active Plus Edition 2011 - 250km so far and still impressed.

Mine says the same thing (after 9000 km's) 'but in French'. I dont think you can turn the message off. I am assuming its telling you not to leave your kids (or anybody else) in the car when its locked.

I am hopping that after the first service it may disappear.

It is an anomaly that a lot of Yetis have. Mine does not show it at all and never have, but plenty of other people have noted it and the general consensus is to just ignore it as even with a VCDS change you can't get rid of it apparently! Doh.

The manual explanation is a little vague.

From initial reading it felt like there was something lost in translation.

I assumed there was an additional level of security I had not enabled so I pressed the "lock" on my key fob twice just in case!

But if people think its fine, I won't worry.

The manual explanation is a little vague.

From initial reading it felt like there was something lost in translation.

I assumed there was an additional level of security I had not enabled so I pressed the "lock" on my key fob twice just in case!

But if people think its fine, I won't worry.

Press lock once for dead locks

Press twice for normal locking

Thanks for that.

So just to be sure (as I am somewhat of an idiot).

One press will lock, deadbold and arm the car alarm?

Pressing twice will just lock the car?

thanks again

One press will deadlock and set the alarm.

Two press will lock and set the alarm.

Check this out by sitting in the car and lock using the remote, one press and you can not open the door from the inside, two press and you can.

One press will deadlock and set the alarm.

Two press will lock and set the alarm.

Check this out by sitting in the car and lock using the remote, one press and you can not open the door from the inside, two press and you can.

And so you learn something new every day. I never knew this. I can't imagine why you'd want to set the alarm and NOT deadlock the car? Or is there a scenario where you deactivate the alarm sensors and then lock the car so that someone inside can still get out if need be? But why lock it then?

And so you learn something new every day. I never knew this. I can't imagine why you'd want to set the alarm and NOT deadlock the car? Or is there a scenario where you deactivate the alarm sensors and then lock the car so that someone inside can still get out if need be? But why lock it then?

No, I think the point is that you should not deadlock the car if there is anyone inside, for example a child while you go to pay for fuel.This is where you should use the two press on the remote. If some disaster should occur in this scenario then it would be very difficult to evacuate the child without the having the remote.

De-activating the alarm if required is a separate operation using the switch on the B post

Edited by Lowen

Ferries will usually ask that you deactivate the alarm.

On my Octavia one press locks and arms the alarm, second press deactivates the alarm.

I'm assuming the Yeti is the same or similar. I'll find out tomorrow when we pick it up.

Here goes, I think:

One press: lock, deadlock, interior monitoring for the alarm, don't tow

Two presses: lock, no deadlock, no interior monitoring for the alarm, don't tow

One press AND first press the B pillar button: lock, deadlock, no interior monitoring for the alarm, OK to tow

Two presses AND first press that button: lock, no deadlock, no interior monitoring for the alarm, OK to tow

it would probably make more sense in a table.

The warning message on the dash means: "watch out. next time you lock the car, the deadlocks will engage if you only press once". it is a reminder that two presses isn't saved, but that you have to do it every time you lock the car.

clear as mud.

Here goes, I think:

One press: lock, deadlock, interior monitoring for the alarm, don't tow

Two presses: lock, no deadlock, no interior monitoring for the alarm, don't tow

One press AND first press the B pillar button: lock, deadlock, no interior monitoring for the alarm, OK to tow

Two presses AND first press that button: lock, no deadlock, no interior monitoring for the alarm, OK to tow

it would probably make more sense in a table.

The warning message on the dash means: "watch out. next time you lock the car, the deadlocks will engage if you only press once". it is a reminder that two presses isn't saved, but that you have to do it every time you lock the car.

clear as mud.

I have just checked and you do appear to be correct, two press does disable the the interior alarm. I have been using the B pillar switch and two press when I leave the dog in the car, seems that two press alone is OK. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

• 4 months later...

Sorry to resurrect an old thread. But didn't see the need to create a new one.

I'm getting the "Check Deadlocks" on switching off the engine. Is this normal? this thread didn't really answer the question i think.

Why does this come up, can it be removed?

Thanks

Sorry to resurrect an old thread. But didn't see the need to create a new one.

I'm getting the "Check Deadlocks" on switching off the engine. Is this normal? this thread didn't really answer the question i think.

Why does this come up, can it be removed?

Thanks

Did you read this thread?! :giggle: Or look at the link in post #5? Surely reading this thread explains it? It is just a warning to remind you that the deadlocks are automatically set every time you lock the car. So if you leave a child/person inside (and then deactivate the sensors with the button on the B-pillar and lock the car) the child/person WON'T be able to get out of the car since the deadlocks are set. Simples.

Did you read this thread?! :giggle: Or look at the link in post #5? Surely reading this thread explains it? It is just a warning to remind you that the deadlocks are automatically set every time you lock the car. So if you leave a child/person inside (and then deactivate the sensors with the button on the B-pillar and lock the car) the child/person WON'T be able to get out of the car since the deadlocks are set. Simples.

Sorry, Too early this morning. Not had enough coffee!

Just re-read it and i now understand.

Crap description in the manual though!!

Sorry, Too early this morning. Not had enough coffee!

Just re-read it and i now understand.

Crap description in the manual though!!

I wonder why VAG don't just employ someone that has English as a first language to just proof read their manuals?! Someone that actually understands cars... Would really make life so much easier for the life of said manual and countless owners.

I wonder why VAG don't just employ someone that has English as a first language to just proof read their manuals?! Someone that actually understands cars... Would really make life so much easier for the life of said manual and countless owners.

Haven't you already volunteered? :D

Maybe after your Yeti brochure inspections they are worried you are too good and will show up the other VW products. ;)

Haven't you already volunteered? :D

Maybe after your Yeti brochure inspections they are worried you are too good and will show up the other VW products. ;)

LOL English is my second language! :giggle: So I have not volunteered just yet.

They have a dedicated link to send them any suggestions about the content of their manuals. I've used it once and low and behold when the next manual came out the same glaring fault was there printed in exactly the same way as before (from the Superb manual about the folding mirrors stating you have to press button 3 to close the mirrors which mistakenly refers to the UN-lock button instead of the LOCK button. They copied it fault and all DIRECTLY from the Superb manual to the Yeti one). So they ignore the little help they get anyway. :wall:

Ooops. :blush:

Hehehe But to be honest for nearly half my life now I've been conversing and thinking in English, so English was not my first language from birth but pretty much is now. :giggle: