Wheel wobble when braking

2001 Octavia 1.9tdi

Quite violent wheel wobble when braking softly. Doesn't seem to happen when braking hard. The wobble is felt through the steering wheel mainly, but can also be felt by the passengers as the whole car shakes.

Any advice as to what it may be is greatly appreciated.

Had a full service a few months back, this started happening shortly after. Warped brake disc?????

I'll go with warped disks, I have had this twice, and I am not a heavy/hard user of brakes. I also don't sit with my foot on the brakes when the car has stopped.

Not easy to check obviously, but does the wobble match the rate the wheel is turning at?

If it does, then could be warped or heavily corroded disc(s).

If it doesn't it could be something like the wish bone bushes going home and it's sort of boucing/juddering as the load is applied and twists the wish bone.

Tom

• 2 weeks later...

Mine does this too, had mine jacked up at the weekend to fix other problems, My mate turned up in his golf which has developed a clunk/rattle at the front so was comparing various parts of the suspension to check what has play in it, upon grabbing my front driver side wheel i found it moves alot side to side and top to bottom ( Wheel bearing?) which could cause the wheel wobble.

Mine does this too, had mine jacked up at the weekend to fix other problems, My mate turned up in his golf which has developed a clunk/rattle at the front so was comparing various parts of the suspension to check what has play in it, upon grabbing my front driver side wheel i found it moves alot side to side and top to bottom ( Wheel bearing?) which could cause the wheel wobble.

I reckon that could be the wheel bearing. Was going to say trackrod end, but it wouldn't explain why it moves up and down.

I'll go with warped disks, I have had this twice, and I am not a heavy/hard user of brakes. I also don't sit with my foot on the brakes when the car has stopped.

Could that be the problem? Uneven distribution of pad material? Sometimes people say that giving it a few emergency stops (when safe to do so) clears it?

id check your wheel bearing!! mine was like this the other week (also front drivers side) id never seen so much play in the wheel before in my life. changed the bearing and all is good again :thumbup: