South Wales Meet 2012

Waplord

UPDATED 2/4/2012

After the stonking WSM meet, i've decided to try to get together a welsh meet in 2012

so far i've come up with this as a route/ideas (subject to change at the moment)

Saturday April 28th 2012 Saturday May 12th 2012 <------ Date Changed

People who need to drive up can stay in the Travelodge in cross hands as long as you book way in advance its only £19-29 for a room for the night

start off from the travel lodge at 9.30am SA14 6RD

then head to Llandeilo a nice fast rural road to a very very old welsh town, stop off for ice cream quickly if anyone wants one from http://www.heavenlychoc.co.uk/

Then take the road to Llandovery when we get to Llandovery, we take the A4069 to Brynamman, now this road there is a thread on the forum detailing it, its quite the epic road for driving on but be warned take it steady in parts unless you and your car can survive a rather large drop.

From here we'll head through the welsh countryside to Pontsticill Reservoir, take some Photos have a little look as its quite amazing looking.

Then head to Cardiff bay for a spot of lunch (chinese buffet ok for everyone?) and the obligatory nose around at all the Doctor who stuff and take photos by the Torchwood locations there.

A short drive up a rather boring road I'm afraid to have a nose around St Fagans the welsh life museum, free to get in £3.50 to park emoticon-0101-sadsmile.gifhttp://www.museumwal...stfagans/visit/

Then a short drive down to Barry Island for the Gavin and Stacey fans amongst us, currently looking for somewhere to stay down, looking at caravan parks or hotels etc at the moment.

thats just some ideas i've come up with what do you people think?

here's a google map link to the route so far http://g.co/maps/vx2up

-------

Getting here:

we'll meet up and start off in the Car Park of the Crosshands Travelodge, it has a petrol station next to it that sells all fuel kinds (including super Mr Sharky ;)

For those traveling just follow the M4 to its end in wales, take the bypass which is straight over the roundabout towards Crosshands, follow the bypass to its end and its first left behind the Total garage.

Accommodation:

For those traveling on the Friday night im suggesting the Crosshands Travelodge if that is full when you try to book (it's never full) if it is full there is another Travelodge just a couple of junctions up the motorway.

For the Saturday night accommodation im currently looking where is going to be suitable.

Can everyone who's planning to stay over please tell me then with an idea of numbers i can see where is going to suitable for staying.

1. Mr and Mrs Wap

WHOOOO im off!!!! will skip the chinease buffet-but like you said im sure i can find something at cardiff bay that i will eat!! ands barry as last place is good for me-then its not too far to go to get home!

1) Waplord

2) MissPiggy

thats what i thought those who are coming from england its not too bad as its a lot closer to the Severn bridge or the m50 depending on which way people are coming.

fo me tis back along bridge! done the route from here to barry before!!!

I'll be up for this. I'll try to book the day off as soon as I can. Wouldn't mind adding the Penderyn road in somehow. The first section I used to do regularly but the Cardiff bit I think I've only ever driven once

looks good.. can we have definate confirmation of the date though please before I commit?!

28th April 2012

thanks, I would need to book well in advance, and dont want the dates randomly changing like they have before! lol..

oh, and the 28th is my birthday by the way ;)

1) Waplord

2) MissPiggy

3) Babs

4) Neo_vr

5) MartynVRS

6) Devonutopia

7) Sharkrider + Blackand white (staying 27th and 28th in travelodge)

I would like the 28th but if thats not convenient then it could change just don't want to get it any closer to easter or the school easter holidays as the roads around here become a nightmare then and i also don't want to hold it too close to WSM which is at the end of march, so i don't really think the date can move much.

Just to advise people staying over with a long journey I'm suggesting the cross hands travel lodge friday night but on the Saturday night with the route planned I'm trying to sort out somewhere in Barry for everyone to stay, a caravan site etc like in WSM possibly. Got Mrs Wap working on this at the moment.

Due to Castle Combe i've amended it and updated the first post i hope this date is ok for everyone? weekend before is the bank holiday which unless you like sitting in your car for long periods not moving i don't suggest we hold it the weekend of the 7th!