Maxi dot speed indicator

I'm well satisfied with my first Skoda, it's full of new tricks but i'm stumped by the maxi-dot readout of speed in Km/h, i can't figure out how you can change it to mph. This would be more useful to me, i was familiar with a digital speedo on the last car i owned, anybody know how to change this or is it a dealer thing?

cheers

But..... If you carry out the modification as above, your car will no longer comply with the EU regulations which states that you should have an indication of speed in both mph and kph. As the speedo is only calibrated in mph, the maxidot is normally configured to show just kph. Of course, if you have the maxidot set to anything other than MFD (nav, phone etc), you won't see the kph reading anyway, so it makes a nonsense of the regulation even without the VCDS mod.

Mike is correct on this, I too have done numerous cars now :thumbup:

Chinook, you obviously have not seen this done or spoken to anyone who has had it done .... if you had than you wouldn't come out with statements that are not true.

This can however only be done (to my knowledge) on cars with maxidot, I did look on an FL Octavia without maxidot but it did not look possible.

Here is a walk through I compiled

You can remove the small KPH display and replace it with a large MPH display:

imgp6365z.jpg

However you will need both maxidot fitted to the car (as shown above) and someone with VCDS to change the country setting to Australia:

To set the country to Australia:

To change the country go to 17- Instruments and click on "Coding - 07"

17-Instruments.png

Then click on "Long Coding Helper"

17coding.jpg

Finally under Bit 4 select "70 Country: Australia (AUS)"

Longcoding-Australia.jpg

Exit this screen and you will return to the previous screen (with the current & new coding displayed) you see that the long coding has changed, click on "Do it!" all will then be saved.

Once you have made the changes with VCDS you then need to go into the maxi-dot menu:

SETTINGS

Units,

"Consu/distance" change this back to mpg (GB), mi (as it defaults to 1/100km, km),

then

SETTINGS

"MFD data" and make sure the box for Digit.speed is ticked

You can also remove the KPH display and replace it with the outside temperature:

SETTINGS

and unticked the "ALT.speed dis." box (this will remove the KPH speed and replace it with the outside temp display)

It won't do -- it's a facelift thing only! As a pre-facelift owner, you've got both MPH and KPH displayed on the speedo dial.

The facelift instrument clusters have a speedo that is only calibrated in MPH, not both as in pre-facelift.

Mike

That clears that one up then, thankyou :thumbup:

A dealer probably wouldn't, or couldn't do this for you. Not sure if it's possible with VAS.

Better off finding a local member with VCDS. There's a location thread 'stickied' at the top of the VCDS section on here.

I need to get this one done... :p What would it cost to get this done at a dealer? Anyone know?

I too doubt very much if a dealer would do this for you as Skoda could not endorse changing the cars country.

Look on the VCDS Owners Map for someone local to you to do the job, with the walk through I have posted even a complete novice can do it :thumbup:

(just make sure they save a scan of the car BEFORE doing it ..... just in case!)

I still want large display on mine but for KM would aussie work for me too allowing me to flick it to large KM via the stalk control?

No, Australia will only give you large MPH (and small KPH when activated through the MFD display)

However there are other countries available to choose from in the drop down list that use KPH such as 00 - Germany.

Longcoding-Australia.jpg

One of those may work? but I have not personally changed a car to one of them so I am unsure what other changes it makes to the car also (headlights etc?)

I too doubt very much if a dealer would do this for you as Skoda could not endorse changing the cars country.

Look on the VCDS Owners Map for someone local to you to do the job, with the walk through I have posted even a complete novice can do it :thumbup:

(just make sure they save a scan of the car BEFORE doing it ..... just in case!)

Thanks Gizmo68 and Wardy, I'll take a look.

Edited by Insight-tech

I need to get this one done... :p What would it cost to get this done at a dealer? Anyone know?

I have VCDS and have done this trick for another member - Happy to do it for you too.

I live in Wilstead (just south of Bedford) so not far.

The whole KM for Europe jsut cannot be true.

My brother drives a new mini, and his only has MPH.

If you look at Renaults etc with Digital Dashboards, they only show MPH.

The whole KM for Europe jsut cannot be true.

My brother drives a new mini, and his only has MPH.

If you look at Renaults etc with Digital Dashboards, they only show MPH.

it is true, and a requirement for type approval in the UK and has been covered many times on here in the past.

all the mini speedos I have found pictures of have both KMH and MPH on them. The renaults and citroens with digital displays have a button you press to switch between mph and kph.

There are no legal issues. You bring the small kph display back just by ticking the option in the Maxidot. You could even switch the big display to kph by selecting it in units too I suspect.

No different to civics etc which have an mph/kph switch.

• 3 months later...

Hi guys,

Recently took delivery of a new Yeti Elegance 2.0 TDI DSG 4x4 and absolutely loving it. Even better now had a few tweeks done by Jonny5ive in Leics.

J5 was able to get the digital mph display, the needles sweeping (staging), and changed the coming/leaving home lights from xenon to fogs.

J5 is a really charming and friendly guy, and I can recommend him to anyone in the Leics & surrounding area who needs to use his expertise/services.

I shall certainly be asking his advice/help in future, and hope to get to one of the meets to catch up with him and meet other charming skoda owners.

Hi to tewebacca great meeting you too - shame J5 couldn't get your octavia sorted out.

Thanks once again J5

I don't think mine shows the speed I am traveling. I have FL model but when flicking through the options I cannot find a screen which tells me my live speed. I can set a max speed warning though.

Are you referring to the small KPH speed or large MPH speed?

All cars without the KPH markings on the speedo should have the KPH display showing, if yours doesn't then maybe the "ALT.speed dis" has been unticked?

SETTINGS

and unticked the "ALT.speed dis." box (this will remove the KPH speed and replace it with the outside temp display)

If you mean the large MPH display then you are correct as this cannot be displayed until the adaptations have been made with VCDS.

• 1 year later...

Mike is correct on this, I too have done numerous cars now emoticon-0148-yes.gif

Chinook, you obviously have not seen this done or spoken to anyone who has had it done .... if you had than you wouldn't come out with statements that are not true.

This can however only be done (to my knowledge) on cars with maxidot, I did look on an FL Octavia without maxidot but it did not look possible.

Here is a walk through I compiled

You can remove the small KPH display and replace it with a large MPH display:

imgp6365z.jpg

However you will need both maxidot fitted to the car (as shown above) and someone with VCDS to change the country setting to Australia:

To set the country to Australia:

To change the country go to 17- Instruments and click on "Coding - 07"

17-Instruments.png

Then click on "Long Coding Helper"

17coding.jpg

Finally under Bit 4 select "70 Country: Australia (AUS)"

Longcoding-Australia.jpg

Exit this screen and you will return to the previous screen (with the current & new coding displayed) you see that the long coding has changed, click on "Do it!" all will then be saved.

Once you have made the changes with VCDS you then need to go into the maxi-dot menu:

SETTINGS

Units,

"Consu/distance" change this back to mpg (GB), mi (as it defaults to 1/100km, km),

then

SETTINGS

"MFD data" and make sure the box for Digit.speed is ticked

You can also remove the KPH display and replace it with the outside temperature:

SETTINGS

if this is maxi dot can it display door open etc....?

• 3 years later...

Apologies for reviving an old thread, but I'm trying to do what the original poster is. As in set up the digital speed. 

I've changed the cluster region to Australia and set the fuel consumptions figures back to mpg. The outside temp is now where the km/h reading used to be. However, when I go through the MFD settings screen, I have no digit.speed box to tick. Only the Alt.speed box, which I've both checked and unchecked, but I can't get the big zero on the main MFD screen. 

Am I missing something out ?

I've done all this via Carista and with the OBD dongle, would this be the problem possibly ?

7 hours ago, Bellwolfrace said:

Apologies for reviving an old thread, but I'm trying to do what the original poster is. As in set up the digital speed. 

I've changed the cluster region to Australia and set the fuel consumptions figures back to mpg. The outside temp is now where the km/h reading used to be. However, when I go through the MFD settings screen, I have no digit.speed box to tick. Only the Alt.speed box, which I've both checked and unchecked, but I can't get the big zero on the main MFD screen. 

Am I missing something out ?

I've done all this via Carista and with the OBD dongle, would this be the problem possibly ?

Possibly the problem, When using VCDS, it actually changing the software in the car's Gateway box, from what i know  Carista and an obd dongle will do basic diagnostics. The equipment we use at work will only do diagnostics, it can't change anything to do with software and a top of the range BOSCH system.

Edited by Ju1ian1001