Bring on Winter - my new 17" winter tyres

Deputy

For the last two winters I struggled with a powerful front driver on low profile summer tyres and resolved that I would be ready for another so traded up to a sophisticated 4x4 with good ground clearance and a set of Conti winter contacts......so I predict a mild winter :(

A bit like remembering to take an umbrella!

• 2 weeks later...

I've had my Dunlop SP Wintersport 4Ds on since the beginning of November and the "law of sod" has prevailed with this being one of the mildest Novembers on record. I hope we get some colder weather soon - I was looking forward to trying them out on some snowy/icy conditions.

I've had my Dunlop SP Wintersport 4Ds on since the beginning of November and the "law of sod" has prevailed with this being one of the mildest Novembers on record. I hope we get some colder weather soon - I was looking forward to trying them out on some snowy/icy conditions.

Look at it this way, by you (and thousands of other) buying winter tyres you are doing everyone a great service by ensuring we all have a trouble free mild winter. I have done my part by buying a Snow Blower - that will surely guarantee snow free winters for years to come!

Look at it this way, by you (and thousands of other) buying winter tyres you are doing everyone a great service by ensuring we all have a trouble free mild winter. I have done my part by buying a Snow Blower - that will surely guarantee snow free winters for years to come!

What about my skiing holiday ???? There is no snow in French Alps, Austria is worried about forest fires !!!

Please put your summer tyres back on, so that we can all start to enjoy winter again.

As long as it's below 12*c you'll see the benefits of the winter tyres, especially if the road surface is damp.

It's nice to see a lot of people taking road safety seriously, seen a lot of companys putting winters on their company vans which I think is a really good thing to do.

Oooh - snow blower - tell me more (perhaps photo it next to your Yeti to keep it on message :giggle: )

Oooh - snow blower - tell me more (perhaps photo it next to your Yeti to keep it on message :giggle: )

Bought it while on holiday in USA. Checked weight - just okay for British Airways baggage limit (32Kg), checked value for UK import duties - well under value limit. So bought one!! Petrol engine, 18" clearance width, clears up to 8" snow depth in one pass and "blows" snow up to 25 feet. If you want to look it up its a Toro Power Clear 418ZR - Google it to see one. No more shoveling for me - last year we had about 2 foot of snow and I was clearing the drive every day for 2 weeks, too old for that.

Bought it while on holiday in USA. Checked weight - just okay for British Airways baggage limit (32Kg), checked value for UK import duties - well under value limit. So bought one!! Petrol engine, 18" clearance width, clears up to 8" snow depth in one pass and "blows" snow up to 25 feet. If you want to look it up its a Toro Power Clear 418ZR - Google it to see one. No more shoveling for me - last year we had about 2 foot of snow and I was clearing the drive every day for 2 weeks, too old for that.

Or go to costco they have them for something like 400 quid. Last winter everyone in our street was out with snow shovel for a few hours every day trying to keep the road clear. We were seriously thinking about clubbing together to buy one.

In the end the council sent round a jcb to keep the streets open

That is absolutely the dogs. I certainly struggled to clear the drive last time. I think that the record was five times in one day. :o

I'd honestly buy one if only to annoy the neighbours. Shame that the postage would kill it.

in view of the temps should I remove my nice new winter tyres & re-fit the summers..........temp when I took the dog out at 7.00a.m. was 11.2 degrees. :S

Official Met office 30 day longterm weather forecast for the UK:-

Weather patterns predominantly from the west,with periods of rain and strong winds.

Temperatures above normal for the first part of Dec.

Later in Dec temps around normal with chance of overnight frost and possible snow on hills.....

My half worn summer tyres will be staying on for now, with some good Allseasons in time for next winter.( I erm.....think.)

Or go to costco they have them for something like 400 quid. Last winter everyone in our street was out with snow shovel for a few hours every day trying to keep the road clear. We were seriously thinking about clubbing together to buy one.

In the end the council sent round a jcb to keep the streets open

I bought it from Home Depot (like B&Q in UK) in Delaware so no sales tax. Cost me $359 which is £230. Good deal I think - even if it works in keeping snow away!