yeti lights upgrade

Oilrag

I was sent one of those plates which has now gone to an engineering company in the Black Country, for them to have a look at and possibly modify. However the one I had was for 2 lights, as an odd number is illegal in the UK.

Agreed :thumbup:

I'm still reluctant to go down this route at the moment, as the "bolt through the bumper" bracket also bolts through the front panel and involves a fair amount of dismantling to get the fixings in place. I guess if I lived in a more remote area it'd be higher on my to do list, but round here there really isn't a great deal of need (or opportunity) to use the extra lighting. Mind you, it would have been great to have 'em whilst getting around the island between my duties on the Mull Rally last month!

Edited by speedsport

SS,

I,'ve got another little project on the go at the moment that doesn't look like it will need any dismantalling, so watch this space!

Now you've got my attention Graham!!! :yes:

Cant wait.

John H

Ah, thanks for that. It's a post that I must have missed. I'll give it a try tomorrow (gently - as it says!)

So, how did it go? I am asking, because one day in the rather distant future I may be following the LED path :)

Watch this space Re LED bulbs for DRL's - probably 2 weeks delivery, but I'll update ASAP :thumbup:

Ordered by 'phone as website didn't want to play!

Perfect English at the other end - so I didn't have to struggle with my 50 year vintage schoolboy German! :rofl:

Watch this space Re LED bulbs for DRL's - probably 2 weeks delivery, but I'll update ASAP :thumbup:

Ordered by 'phone as website didn't want to play!

Perfect English at the other end - so I didn't have to struggle with my 50 year vintage schoolboy German! :rofl:

Great - looking forward to hearing and seeing results before commit.

• 2 weeks later...

+ 1 :thumbup:

+2 for sure!!!!! I really, really like this.

Another upgrade I'd like which will be difficult I guess and / or look tacky is to put additional indicators where some people put DRLs on the little airvents in the lower bumper. On many a car now (and I think especially the Yeti), you simply cannot see the indicators at night in the glare of the headlights. I have a nasty roundabout near my house were everyone from the one direction just drives straight over the painted circle without even slowing down. I have to turn right there alas and ALWAYS have my one hand ready on the horn and the other ready on the main beams as 9 times out of ten they do not see the Yeti indicators at night. It should be law to have them at least 300mm away from a main light source (especially of they are Xenons).

Bulbs have landed this morning.

Very well packaged - but no instructions

Had a very quick fiddle and connected one up using bullet connectors - wow! Brilliant white light - only problem is that I seem to have the dreaded 'bulb out' warning :(

Two leads on the resistors - one brown, one yellow and two black bulb leads....perhaps I wired the resistors wrong way around?

Really pressed for time - I'm already on my 3rd Public Warning from 'er indoors as we're out for lunch !

I've mailed Benzinfabrik for instructions.

Will keep you all posted!

When I (briefly) tried using LED bulbs in the rear tail lights, I found they were sensitive to polarity + or - .

As your LED bulbs are working but resistors are not, I'd suggest you switch the wiring on the resistor ......

........... after lunch. ;)

Bulbs have landed this morning.

Very well packaged - but no instructions

Now that is just stupid!!!! They can make a bilingual flyer in 30 minutes and print one for each box easy peasy..... Not rocket science. Maybe your box just got missed? I hope they send some sharpish. I would like this mod too but I'm not too bright (:giggle: ) with car electrics moi.

Hello again.

Detailed (English) fitting instructions received.

http://www.benzinfab...cht-skoda-yeti/

Actually there's room for the resistor inside the light cavity!

Fitting and pics tomorrow

Fingers crossed - this looks like a result :thumbup:

Job done and wow!

Pics tomorrow in daylight.

Resistor is fitted as a 'bridge' across both LED bulb wires - see attached.

Helps if you have child size hands :)

post-20455-0-28571800-1322237259_thumb.jpg

Job done and wow!

Pics tomorrow in daylight.

Resistor is fitted as a 'bridge' across both LED bulb wires - see attached.

Helps if you have child size hands :)

Congrats. Top notch. :thumbup:

Wiring makes sense as the job of the resistor is to 'resist' to compensate for the lower resistance of the LED bulb (compared to the OE bulb).

Here we go folks - all done and dusted!

Total cost for 2 sets (one has just been dispatched Special Delivery to another lucky Briskodian) was £95 all in.

Fitting took <1 hour and I used 'bullet' connectors to link in the resistors rather than 'Scotchlocks'.

It helps if you've got small hands!

Might need to investigate an upgrade for the fog lamp bulbs, which now look decidedly 'yellow'!

If you contact Benzinfabrik.de they speak very good English and take Paypal over the phone.

post-20455-0-64619100-1322301074_thumb.jpg

post-20455-0-54035100-1322301090_thumb.jpg

post-20455-0-17843600-1322301120_thumb.jpg

post-20455-0-93076400-1322301135_thumb.jpg

post-20455-0-40689900-1322301155_thumb.jpg

Looks great Merlinman. But these connectors you mention? Did it come with them? Or is this something you need to buy extra and know what you're doing to get right? For someone without car electric knowledge this all looks terribly complex if you have no idea what you're doing...

Looks great Merlinman. But these connectors you mention? Did it come with them? Or is this something you need to buy extra and know what you're doing to get right? For someone without car electric knowledge this all looks terribly complex if you have no idea what you're doing...

Johann,

Kit came with Scotchlocks but I bought some 2 piece crimp bullet connectors (think Halfords stock) as they're more secure and smaller..

E.G. http://lyxus.net/ipmv

If you follow the photo instructions I posted yesterday and wire according to the diagram above (you can't go wrong - there are only 2 wires!)

It's a fiddly job but as long as you haven't got Bart Simpson fingers, straightforward.

I can only imagine that if you do both the fogs and DRLs at the same time you wouldn't have to panic over which pair of wires to put the resistor on because you'd be putting a resistor on both them?

If this is the case can you purchase LED bulbs for both the fogs and DRLs from this supplier?