yeti lights upgrade

Oilrag

On first exploration of the DRL's. Question please how do the old lamps come out...Pull?? Twist??

with fat fingers and not being able to look in nothing seems to come apart

Best advice welcomed!

Edited by mandatrix

I've attached a copy of instructions from Elsawin!

You need to twist the bulb holder about 15deg anti-clockwise and then it will pull out complete with the bulb. The bulb is quite a tight fit, but there should be enough slack wire to make the connections for the resistor

Fat fingers won't help :rofl:

HTH

Robin

Replacing bulb for daylight driving light P13W.pdf

I've attached a copy of instructions from Elsawin!

You need to twist the bulb holder about 15deg anti-clockwise and then it will pull out complete with the bulb. The bulb is quite a tight fit, but there should be enough slack wire to make the connections for the resistor

Fat fingers won't help :rofl:

HTH

Robin

Thank you for that. I will give it a try in daylight!

it would be nice to be able to get the whole unit out to see if a foglight bulb holder could be fitted at the same time as

we poor people with an E do not get any fog lamps!

I can only imagine that if you do both the fogs and DRLs at the same time you wouldn't have to panic over which pair of wires to put the resistor on because you'd be putting a resistor on both them?

If this is the case can you purchase LED bulbs for both the fogs and DRLs from this supplier?

I was thinking along the lines of a non-LED bulb upgrade for the fogs.

DRL's and Fogs are separately fed.

The Fog lamps are halogen H7 bulbs so you can upgrade them simply by installing brighter bulbs of your choice (+50%, +75%, +100%) though I understand that the originals already have the approximate light output of a Ring +50% bulb. Different manufacturers products do vary in performance, see the various car magazine reviews.

All the LED equivalents that I've seen so far don't give anything approaching the the light output of a standard 55watt halogen, let alone an upgraded one.

The Fog lamps are halogen H7 bulbs so you can upgrade them simply by installing brighter bulbs of your choice (+50%, +75%, +100%) though I understand that the originals already have the approximate light output of a Ring +50% bulb. Different manufacturers products do vary in performance, see the various car magazine reviews.

All the LED equivalents that I've seen so far don't give anything approaching the the light output of a standard 55watt halogen, let alone an upgraded one.

I have been looking for brighter (yellow) H7 bulbb without success - anyone got any links?

Watch this space Re LED bulbs for DRL's - probably 2 weeks delivery, but I'll update ASAP :thumbup:

Ordered by 'phone as website didn't want to play!

Perfect English at the other end - so I didn't have to struggle with my 50 year vintage schoolboy German! :rofl:

Website was playing OK this afternoon. Just ordered a set using PayPal for payment. :thumbup:

Johann,

Kit came with Scotchlocks but I bought some 2 piece crimp bullet connectors (think Halfords stock) as they're more secure and smaller..

E.G. http://lyxus.net/ipmv

If you follow the photo instructions I posted yesterday and wire according to the diagram above (you can't go wrong - there are only 2 wires!)

It's a fiddly job but as long as you haven't got Bart Simpson fingers, straightforward.

Using 'bullet' connectors is an interesting idea but IMHO the merits are debatable.

I agree that they are smaller, but don't they make the whole job more fiddly and you have to cut the OE wires to the bulb to fit them? 'Scotch blocks' just wrap around the OE wire and clamp the new wire (from the resistor), in place. Simples, eek!

For a self confessed novice, such as 900000, I'd suggest sticking to 'scotchblocks' but someone will more experience/skill may choose to go the 'bullet' connector route.

You have a fair point there about cutting the wires - but I really dislike Scotchlocks and the bullets take slightly less room in the light nacelle.

Six and two threes? ;)

Hello again.

Detailed (English) fitting instructions received.

http://www.benzinfab...cht-skoda-yeti/

Actually there's room for the resistor inside the light cavity!

Fitting and pics tomorrow

Fingers crossed - this looks like a result :thumbup:

How do you find which of the black cables is POS and which is NEG, or doesn't it matter?

It does matter, from my experience of LED bulbs, but you have to use trial & error.

it certainly does.

best way is to use a test bulb. connect one end to what you think is the live wire, turn ignition on and connect the other end to earth.

if it lights then this is the + wire.

if not the it's the -

if your new LEDs do not light up when you switch them on then you have to reverse the connections as LEDs are one way devices (only pass current in one direction)

Not a problem, it appears! ( unless I was lucky :) )

With the bullet connectors,did you just cut the black wires and bare the ends and twist a bare end with one of the resistor cables? If that makes sense.

I ordered a set from Benzinfabrik.de online this afternoon £56.95 including £7.00 postage and vat, using Paypal and IE which has the handy translate function, as I don't speak German.

I couldn't find any other of their LED conversion kits for the Yeti, but I dare say someone will.

A lot of people reckon that 3M scotchlocks are far better than other types, any feedback?

Anzio - yes. Tidy job as I only needed to strip 1cm on each black wire and I was also able to reduce the length of the (over long) resistor wires.

Both sides connected and worked first time - I must have been very fortunate, given what's been said above about polarity ;)

With the bullet connectors,did you just cut the black wires and bare the ends and twist a bare end with one of the resistor cables? If that makes sense.

I ordered a set from Benzinfabrik.de online this afternoon £56.95 including £7.00 postage and vat, using Paypal and IE which has the handy translate function, as I don't speak German.

I couldn't find any other of their LED conversion kits for the Yeti, but I dare say someone will.

A lot of people reckon that 3M scotchlocks are far better than other types, any feedback?

if you are going to use the scotchlock connectors i would strongly recommend putting them somewhere where they will not get wet.

because these connectors are open to the elements, moisture can get in and corrode the terminals.

if you cannot tuck them away then i suppose your best bet is to wrap them tightly in waterproof insulation tape or suchlike.

same sort of thing with the bullet connectors but the best way to cover these is with heatshrink (available from Maplin in different sizes)

if you are going to use the scotchlock connectors i would strongly recommend putting them somewhere where they will not get wet.

because these connectors are open to the elements, moisture can get in and corrode the terminals.

if you cannot tuck them away then i suppose your best bet is to wrap them tightly in waterproof insulation tape or suchlike.

same sort of thing with the bullet connectors but the best way to cover these is with heatshrink (available from Maplin in different sizes)

Thanks very much for your help. I think I will use self amalgamating tape ( the stuff TV dish installers use ) still not sure about scotchlocks or bullets.

I was having problems with their web page in loading into cart and payment,then noticed at the bottom of the page was a link to their shop on ebay Germany.

Ordered LEDs last night,dispatched today.