Economy Drive

Benjiman

Around my area the roads are very hilly and up and down... My best is 67.5mpg over about 70 miles- was pleased I even took a picture! :p

What remap did you have to find a big difference in economy?

Shark remap, Pd160, K&n, Milltek Turbo back with decat. Did tyre pressures that morning too - prob helped a little also!

I've measured computer against actual before, and it's fairly accurate over a distance. :thumbup:

I thnk the biggest win was drafting those lorrys - even with a 2 second gap it makes a hellofa difference!

Using the trip computer, it just made the car better throttle response :)

Your trip computer will be way out now then. the normally ECU knows how much fuel it's injecting, and that's how it calculates the MPG. Those chips fool it into throwing more fuel into the cylinders without the ECU knowing about it, so it thinks it's injecting less that it actually is.

Only way to work out MPG correctly is calculating it brim-to-brim method.

The best tankful average I've had was 57.8 mpg. It was done Easter last year, Folkestone to Home with a slight detour to Gravesend, 316 miles. It only cost me £30 in Fuel (25l). :thumbup:

Using the trip computer, I've had much better mpg for much shorter journeys though.

Number two is where it's at as number one is pants.

On my car at least - number 1 is current trip average and number 2 is average since it was last reset. So there shouldn't be any difference between them if you reset both at the same time!

I went up to the Mull Rally in October and achieved this:-

DSC_0520.jpg

I fuelled up at Carlisle and while filling up, i pressed on the button in the filler neck to get as much in as i could.

272 miles later, i couldn't believe my eyes when i pulled up at the ferry, the fuel gauge was still reading nearly full!!!

I did 600 miles that weekend and put £60 in at Carlisle on the way back down,fuel light came on at about Lockerbie. Alright i didn't hold the button over for the full fill up, don't know how much more i would have got in if i had, but i worked it out at 63mpg overall.

My "Holy Grail" is 400 miles to half a tank. Obviously using the "vent" method.

200 miles without the gauge moving is easy if you fill it up using the vent method :)

After that the gauge plummets, 668 is my best to a tank.

I "vent" the tank every time. Over the last 27000 miles my average is 63.1MPG and this is pen and paper calculation not computer readings. My fuel gauge is never start moving before 240/260 miles. The best tank so far is 801.3 miles before I've chickened out giving me 69.7 MPG. I don't know how big is the tank with "venting" but the most I ever put in was 54.12 liters (11.92 gallons) From low fuel warning light and bell I've driven 58 miles once but I will never do it again :D Overall this is fabulous car and 60MPG is "walk in the park" :D For the last 20000 miles I never covered less than 700 miles on a tank of diesel. My Fabia is TDI 100 PD not a vRS.