Can i remap (only just got it)

hitlist

Hey i have had my 1.2tsi for about 3 monthes now and am wanting to remap it, the only thing stopping me is i dont know if they can find out and void warranty. The only other thing am not to sure about is if am going to keep it after the 3 years or go for the vrs (or wat ever they have out at the time) and if the remap would affect this.

Hope this reads ok

Thanks

Aaron

A remap IS detectable and could void the warranty for the part it uses (ECU) and any parts it works with (engine etc) IF it can be proved that it contributed to a component(s) failing. If you are worried in any way then I wouldn't do it.

Do remember though that a decent remap will work to the parameters of the engine and shouldn't cause any issues.

A remap shouldn't really affect the resale value of the car.

You could always use a TMC tuning box that you can unplug for trips to the dealers.It doesn't alter the ECU at all and works by modifying signals back to the ECU. I have run one for 4 months/3K miles without a problem. Delivers a bit more performance (125PS + 225NM) and improved economy if you don't boot it. Declared to my insurers and added £35 to my premium.

Yep go for Tuning box which you can take off for trips to dealership.

they are good enough tbh, perhap if fatbloke has one who could post a link for it so you can have a look.

I have been wondering the same thing and started a thread about it in the Performance section (I would link it but I am technologically challenged!). Got similar answers, however I did find a Skoda Dealer offering the Revo remap and contaced them, they claim that the skoda computer will not detect the remap and the warranty will be fine, rereading it though he may have refered to the system which records all work completed rather than a diagnostic machine connected to the ECU. If something does go wrong with the ECU then they or Revo would cover that.

If I go ahead I will get something proper in writing to confirm it is not an issue and that they would honour any warranty work.

Hmm the tuning boxes look like the way to go but as you say a remap would be better. Now on the link you added on there web site it say my 1.2tsi 86hp would go to 120hp, This is over the normal 25% that insurance companys like. How much of a diffrence does it make and how much more on insurance do you pay?

Thanks

Aaron

however I did find a Skoda Dealer offering the Revo remap and contaced them, they claim that the skoda computer will not detect the remap

iirc techie who is a VAG technician at a dealership said they can detect them. I think what our dealer is doing is ignoring them.

iirc techie who is a VAG technician at a dealership said they can detect them. I think what our dealer is doing is ignoring them.

Whether or not they can be detected is debatable, although I'm not going to dispute what Tech1e can or cannot see

However I had a really bad misfire problem on my 2011 vRS Octavia. After 7 visits, several diagnostics by the dealer and Skoda technical, they replaced the fuel pump, MAF sensor and spark plugs all under warranty

Problem now fixed.

I have Shark stage 1 (although map was reverted back to original using STS when visiting the dealer), and neither the dealer or Skoda technical said beep. So either not detectable or not bothered, either way it was all fixed under warranty.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not entirely convinced about the tuning box.

If Skoda thought there was an issue with mapping, I'm sure they would trip you up somewhere.

After all, look at the installation video for the TMC tuning box. Using screwdrivers, prising plugs apart and moving pipes, cable looms etc will bound to leave some form of tell tale signs.

Whether or not they can be detected is debatable, although I'm not going to dispute what Tech1e can or cannot see

However I had a really bad misfire problem on my 2011 vRS Octavia. After 7 visits, several diagnostics by the dealer and Skoda technical, they replaced the fuel pump, MAF sensor and spark plugs all under warranty

They are of course detectable, its just some dealers ignore them.

The ECU has a flash counter, and each time its flashed / mapped its incremented by a value of 1. Then there is the ECU checksum which is based on the contents and the map itself.

A dealer can also overwrite the map should a software update to the ECU be required.

I have installed mine and removed it and it looks exactly the same as it did when it came out the factory

You must be extremely careful then.

I've had 3 tuning boxes in the past and am very careful to replace everything in the same order, but the box requires power and there's always signs on the battery terminals that 'somethings' been on there.

The point I'm making is that if they suspected that a car had been remapped and wanted to prove their point, there's ways and means.

Hmm the tuning boxes look like the way to go but as you say a remap would be better. Now on the link you added on there web site it say my 1.2tsi 86hp would go to 120hp, This is over the normal 25% that insurance companys like. How much of a diffrence does it make and how much more on insurance do you pay?

The graphs for the two states of tune show that the 85bhp has boost reduced over 4k-rpm to create the power difference, up to then the torque (and hence power) is only about 10% down. It's a similar trick that VAG did with the 150 and 180bhp 1.8T engines.

all this about being detectable by equipment is irrelevent anyway.. my fiat was mapped at 4k, and they never "detected" it with the plug in computer, but the first time the tech drove it after replacing a wheel baring, he said "so, when was it mapped then?" lol... they drive them all the time, and will know what is mapped and what isnt :thumbup:

You must be extremely careful then.

I've had 3 tuning boxes in the past and am very careful to replace everything in the same order, but the box requires power and there's always signs on the battery terminals that 'somethings' been on there.

The point I'm making is that if they suspected that a car had been remapped and wanted to prove their point, there's ways and means.

The TMC box I have does not need a power source, it doesn't need to be connected to the battery.

I think any dealer would honestly find it very difficult if not impossible to prove it was on there

They are of course detectable, its just some dealers ignore them.

As I said I'm not arguing if they can or can't be seen, just that all my work was carried out under warranty, and the type of work they undertook would fall under the problems that may occur if you had a remap.

Interestingly the contents of the diagnostic readings were also sent to Skoda technical HQ, as the dealer was not able to solve the problem after a few visits. They also didn't remark on the remap.

The dealers may think to ignore the remap, do the warranty repair and SUK will reimburse them the £500 (guesswork could be any amount) or tell you cos you had a remap you will have to pay £500. In this situation I'd go to an independent garage to get it done for £300 (estimate). At least by ignoring your remap they definitely get £500.

Hope that makes sense lol.

As I said I'm not arguing if they can or can't be seen, just that all my work was carried out under warranty, and the type of work they undertook would fall under the problems that may occur if you had a remap.

Interestingly the contents of the diagnostic readings were also sent to Skoda technical HQ, as the dealer was not able to solve the problem after a few visits. They also didn't remark on the remap.

Nothing on a diagnostic report would detect a remap unless we recorded actual boost and/or timing figures etc and sent them and they were compared to standard. More test plans to do just that are appearing all the time and when ODIS goes online (our new diagnostic system) it will check for ecu updates when a car is connected, send off the ecu file data to check for an update, this will also check for foreign file data etc, have seen a possible warranty void notification on an Audi, it's a way off I think for Skoda but we will get it sooner or later

Nothing on a diagnostic report would detect a remap unless we recorded actual boost and/or timing figures etc and sent them and they were compared to standard. More test plans to do just that are appearing all the time and when ODIS goes online (our new diagnostic system) it will check for ecu updates when a car is connected, send off the ecu file data to check for an update, this will also check for foreign file data etc, have seen a possible warranty void notification on an Audi, it's a way off I think for Skoda but we will get it sooner or later

when I had mine serviced and requested the update file for the misfiring, she said "when he plugs it in it will automatically check what s on there and check for updates, then update if ness..."

sounds like it was just gonna go ahead and check my map anyway ! ;)