Yeti boot floor conversion

ejstubbs

Hi Dominic

No, the parcel shelf foes not fit, with either space saver like I used last year or the full size tyre I'm using this year. I have looked for a second hand one but they are a little on the scarce side at the moment. I would cut a slot in it so that the tyre poked through.

Not checked to see how much they are new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Mike, not too sure what i'll do yet but I really would prefer to have the spare upright. I think you loose too much space when its under the floor.

Dominic.

Another alternative that I have used is a 16 x 3.5 ET25.5 VAG wheel, part No.1K0 601 027S with a 135/90/16R tyre.

This combination is the correct diameter spare for either the std. 225/50/17 or the 215/60/16 wheel.

The advantage is that it takes up far less space than the 195/60/16 spare and the finished floor level is 4" lower than the boot lip.

The new boot floor is made from 6mm MDF and rests on the tyre in the middle and on the MDF sides as shown in the photo.

Spare%20s.jpg

Another alternative that I have used is a 16 x 3.5 ET25.5 VAG wheel, part No.1K0 601 027S with a 135/90/16R tyre.

This combination is the correct diameter spare for either the std. 225/50/17 or the 215/60/16 wheel.

The advantage is that it takes up far less space than the 195/60/16 spare and the finished floor level is 4" lower than the boot lip.

The new boot floor is made from 6mm MDF and rests on the tyre in the middle and on the MDF sides as shown in the photo.

That looks good Lowen but why oh why did you not just spend an hour extra on all this work and paint all the wood black?!?!? It really looks very peculiar having wood in a modern car - and NOT on the dash! :giggle:

Thanks for all this Mike. Seems the best solution to the spare wheel problem (a big issue here in Oz where you can be a LONG way from a tyre dealer when you get a flat). Skoda should take note. All they would need to do would be to put a small recess in the floor to accommodate a full size wheel standing up, so that it fits under the parcel shelf.

Can I ask what the part details were for the boot floor filler, floor and rubber mat? Where did you get them and what did they cost?

That looks good Lowen but why oh why did you not just spend an hour extra on all this work and paint all the wood black?!?!? It really looks very peculiar having wood in a modern car - and NOT on the dash! :giggle:

emoticon-0140-rofl.gif The only time you see it is if yo lift the boot floor to get the spare out. Painting it all may be phase II of the job but paint's not cheap you know emoticon-0102-bigsmile.gif

Phase II, make one out of Black Ash :giggle:

You done a good job there though. :thumbup:

I think a very dark or black wood stain would work well and quicker and give a more satin finish.

How often will you see it anyway, Hopefuly Never!

• 2 weeks later...

Spare%20s.jpg

Hi Lowen

Great idea - I'm about to take delivery of a Yeti Greenline S and this is all the info I need. No worries about appearance - on top will be a boot liner and a scruffy dog.

Second hand Spacesaver plus tyre to the above spec typically about £60 + delivery (who wears out a Spacesaver?) - jack I'm not sure. Fixing to floor - can't be that impossible.

Quotes to duplicate the Spacesaver option from my dealer started as approx £260 for parts now unbelievably £700 to fit (not a misprint)!

Quotes to duplicate the Spacesaver option from my dealer started as approx £260 for parts now unbelievably £700 to fit (not a misprint)!

Then your dealer is telling you a load of rubbish:

Spare wheel kit, inc jack,wheel brace, boxes, floor and spindle part No 5L0071108

The kit is around £100.

Steel wheel part No 8P0601027 (5L0601011A), and you need a 195x60x16 tyre as well.

The wheel is around £45.

If you have a Torx set you can easily fit it yourself!

Edited by Llanigraham

I just been quoted

£136 for a complete wheel/tyre

£120 for the toolkit and boot floor

Fitting time quoted 40 mins. £700! a quick calculation says your dealer charges labour @ £1050 per hour. even £70 is too much!

Edited by RickT

Then your dealer is telling you a load of rubbish:

Spare wheel kit, inc jack,wheel brace, boxes, floor and spindle part No 5L0071108

The kit is around £100.

Steel wheel part No 8P0601027 (5L0601011A), and you need a 195x60x16 tyre as well.

The wheel is around £45.

If you have a Torx set you can easily fit it yourself!

Hi Llanigraham

Thanks for info - I now need to check that the 'Greenline' boot floor has the standard fixing points. I did appreciate that the £700 was just a sloppy way to avoid the question.

Hi Llanigraham

Thanks for info - I now need to check that the 'Greenline' boot floor has the standard fixing points. I did appreciate that the £700 was just a sloppy way to avoid the question.

There are fixing points are where the rear boot carpet goes under the rear seat carpet. They are fixed down with some sort of popper. You lift them up, and the rear boot carpet/hardboard thingy is located on a 'pin' about 5mm high. That holds the rear carpet thingy in place once you have located them over the pins. (obvious when you look - I hope)

Then there are the threaded pins, 2 or 3 on the nearside for the long box on that side and 2 on the offside just behind the rear seat for the small box. Then the rear boot floor is fixed throughout the 2 boxes using torx screws and bolts.

There are fixing points are where the rear boot carpet goes under the rear seat carpet. They are fixed down with some sort of popper. You lift them up, and the rear boot carpet/hardboard thingy is located on a 'pin' about 5mm high. That holds the rear carpet thingy in place once you have located them over the pins. (obvious when you look - I hope)

Then there are the threaded pins, 2 or 3 on the nearside for the long box on that side and 2 on the offside just behind the rear seat for the small box. Then the rear boot floor is fixed throughout the 2 boxes using torx screws and bolts.

Hi RockHopper

Thanks for all the info - it appears that 2WD Yeti's need a slightly different part no 5L0071108A quoted price £120 inc VAT

'My Dealer' Listers Coventry claim there is no such kit - only individual parts - perhaps for £700 those parts would be gold plated? Will I be using them to service my new Yeti?

• 1 year later...

Sorry to butt in but I am getting my Yeti soon and I noticed most people remove themiddle rear seat,

would it be practical to put the full sized spare between these seats using a frame to clip into the

existing seat mounts?

Sorry to butt in but I am getting my Yeti soon and I noticed most people remove themiddle rear seat,

would it be practical to put the full sized spare between these seats using a frame to clip into the

existing seat mounts?

??  I've had mine out twice in three years. Most 99,9% of Yeti owners keep the seat in the car and I've never seen another Yeti (apart from mine, the twice I did it) with the central seat removed.

But if you want a dirty ugly bit of rubber as a Great Wall of China between the rear seats, I guess its up to you. :happy: Just remember in an emergency stop the inertia in that wheel will require VERY sturdy supports lest it end up on your dashboard or worse, whacking you over the head.

• Like 1

I kept it out for a while, but my rear seat passengers missed the bit in the middle and said it wasn't as comfortable. Also stuff in the boot can make its way forwards if not secured properly, and face it, how many people secure stuff they chuck in the boot?

So mine went back in. Never to come out again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk