How much are you young drivers paying for insurance?

DanGum

Hey peeps,

Im after some advice, im in abit of a dilemma with regards to car insurance. Early this year i had an accident and had to claim, thus loosing my no claims bonus (im 21 so this was a big blow :( ) Im dreading renewal due to me having a claim against me and owning a modified car.

I been doing quotes online and the likes of elephant/bell/admiral are all giving me quotes for around the £1600 mark which didnt seem that bad if im honest (12 month policy) Modifications declared of course.

If i went for the 10 month policy with elephant it was £1340 which is better but obviously cover doesn't last as long but i do get a years no claims bonus early.

Do you think its worth me doing the 12 month or the 10 month policy?

Any help always appreciated.

Cheers

Dan

Check the terms and conditions of the no claims bonus as they are never quite as honest when you look into them usually its 10 months= 1 years no claims with that company then you need to take a full years pollicy then change to another insureer then your back to 1 year NCB.

yeah its a no claims bonus accelerator policy. there handy!

i pay £260 a month! LOL

im 21, 2 years ncb. 5 points (CD10) and a heavy claim.

luckily, when i get my fabia vrs.. my insurance is dropping to 93 quid a month.

try aviva directly (online) they smashed quotes i got off admiral by about 400 pound!

iv never looked into the 10 month policies but i might for next year.

im in the same boat as you, i had 4 years no claims untill some idiot in a fiesta come round a blind corner and hit me, claiming 50/50 which some how got approved :doh:

i now i pay £1500 for my octy vrs, which isnt too bad i dont think...it would of been about £800 if i still has NCB though :/

Pretty sure it's valid anywhere. emoticon-0148-yes.gif

However (I'm 20, so paying a small fortune in insurance!), I found that the 10 month ones were more expensive long term. I'll try to explain:

Imagine you're 18, and you've got 1 years license, and 1NCB - insurance is £1,000.

Now imagine you're 18, with 10 months license, and 1NCB - insurance is £1,200.

The same thing keeps going on for a while - the 2months LESS license costs more than you'd save for getting the NCB sooner. I worked out that the 2 months extra license saved me about £200 on one quote (2y 10m vs 3y), whereas having an extra NCB saved me a wooping £20!

Now I know that Admiral/Bell/Elephant stop asking for months once you've reached 3years, but until then it's worth bearing in mind! Also, if you've got the policy to renew at around the same time you passed your test, it will make a difference.

So in short (from my findings) NO, a 10 month policy is NOT cheaper in the long run! My view is they wouldn't offer it unless they gained somehow - after all, insurance firms don't care about the customer!

Sorry if that's a bit rambly/confusing, but I'm tired!

Easy way to try it - get a quote now, then get one as if you were a year/10 months down the line, and see which works out cheaper - waiting 12, or 10 months. For me, it was always the 12 month option.

I had a similar thing, i did the fast track NCB scheme, complete nightmare (my own fault) the first 9 months was around £800 then the second year was £600 but the third year was £2400 and when i asked for my NCB because i didnt want to renew there was small print stating i had to have 3 consecutive 9 month policies to receive 3 years NCB. So in short i left the company with 18 months clean driving but zero NCB.

Stick with the 12 months tbh, for 2 months is it really worth it? No. Also if ideally you want to time your insurance if possible.

Just after a birthday.

Just after you passed your test.

I found a Fabia VRS went from £1500 to £700 by turning 21, having a full 2 years since I passed my driving test and having that extra NCB (2 years turned to 3).

Try and keep that in mind when you do your renewals etc.

Word of warning with bonus accelerator programmes. Insurers will not accept a NCB thats longer than the period you have been driving for or the date you turned 17 if your lucky.

Well they would'nt for me anyway. But it has saved me literally thousands.

I had a 6 month policy after passing which gave me a 1yr NCB. After the 6 months the company offered me a 12 mth policy with a 2yr ncb. So I would get 3yrs NCB from 18 months of insurance. They were by far the cheapest after the first 6 months because no other company would accept my 1 yr NCB. After the 18 months the company would not touch me because I was at uni. This left me not yet 19 with 3yrs NCB. I waited a couiple of weeks till I was 19 and could use the 2yrs of my 3yrs NCB with Tesco and ended up paying just £340 for a 12 month policy which was mad at the time with mates paying £1k+

I've still got 6yrs NCB at 23 despite not passing until I was 17 and a half, being banned for a year and rolling my first car. Lol.

My 1st car was insured 3rd party F&T and worth hardly anything so I recovered it myself and then scrapped it, then paid a nomianl fee for 'upgrading' to a Corsa 1.2 on fully comp.

Tip: My insurer knocked my premium by over £200 for being a member of this site, they do modified aswell.

BTW what I did could easily bite you in the arse if you need to claim, so be careful.

HTH

Hello fella, I've just added my 17 year old son to my policy so he can learn on the roads and so I know what a problem it is for getting a decent price. Have you thought of joining a motoring club and looking at the benefits they offer. The CSMA for example offer discounted insurance through Frizzel/Liverpool Victoria Insurance. It may be worth trying to get a quote that way.

CSMA do offer good deals, breakdown cover is ridiculously cheap as I remember, but you need to be a civil servant or related to one to join, I think, so not open to all.

Discounts I have seen through many of these clubs isn't generally anything better than you can get by goong online, but always worth a try.

One thing I have heard of young drivers doing is getting a policy which restricts them to certain times of the day, not sure if all companies do this but foklore says they get a reasonable deal by doing this.

Not sure if the requirement to be a civil servant applies any more :no: but I'm sure they'd put you right if that was the case. Good luck either way.

You have to work for, or have worked for, a Department or body that once was a Government Dept, so any thing from BT to Post Office to Welsh Assembly or British Nuclear Fuel, etc.

Relatives can join but only close ones (sons or daughters)

I am on their national Motoring Committee, and one other.

You have to work for, or have worked for, a Department or body that once was a Government Dept, so any thing from BT to Post Office to Welsh Assembly or British Nuclear Fuel, etc.

Relatives can join but only close ones (sons or daughters)

I am on their national Motoring Committee, and one other.

We'll that's cleared that uncertainty up :D thanks Llanigraham

I remember when my Son had the Fabia and looked at the 10 month policy, not all insurance companys would honour the NCB, as he found out. He now pays the full 12 month, my youngest is on the Fabia insurance with his Mum, 2nd driver. We know he is not building his own NCB, but he is able to drive and is gaining experience, at this moment in time which enables him to get work.

Hey peeps,

Im after some advice, im in abit of a dilemma with regards to car insurance. Early this year i had an accident and had to claim, thus loosing my no claims bonus (im 21 so this was a big blow :( ) Im dreading renewal due to me having a claim against me and owning a modified car.

I been doing quotes online and the likes of elephant/bell/admiral are all giving me quotes for around the £1600 mark which didnt seem that bad if im honest (12 month policy) Modifications declared of course.

If i went for the 10 month policy with elephant it was £1340 which is better but obviously cover doesn't last as long but i do get a years no claims bonus early.

Do you think its worth me doing the 12 month or the 10 month policy?

Any help always appreciated.

Cheers

Dan

In your scenario it's fine, if you do the 12 month one the policy works out to be £133 a month, the 10 month one is £134 so your not being penalised by taking out a shorter policy and you get your 1 years NCD early (which is fine to claim with other companies... I worked for Elephant/Bell/Admiral and had a 10 month policy which I took to another Insurer no problem) The NCD letter just states '1 Years No Claims Bonus' not '10 months no claims bonus'

22yrs old, driving 5yrs, 0yrs ncb

1 fault claim in 2008

1 fault claim in 2010

DRINK DRIVE ban in 2007 for 12months,

sp30 speeding ticket in march this year 3points

and careless driving (not sure of the code) but another 6points last month.

Insurance £563 per annual. (paid annually to avoid ridiculous 20% interest charge)

on my Felly 1.6 with suspension mods advised.

already checked quotes for vRS estate, insurance goes down to £504.

now if thats not reasonable then i don't know what is.

next year my dr10(drink drive) and first fault claim come off my license

Yes BossFox, i know it's very cheap considering the risk i look like on paper.

TBH The company agreed a company car for me before i got the 6points for careless driving. so i'm okay.

they only go 3yrs back on my driving history though, so all i have to notify them is 1 fault in march 2010 and an SP30 in May this year.

i will advise them of the 6 points for driving without due care and attention once i get the car.

i am in the process of appealing to the police to get it reduced to 3points as the officers where employing underhand tactics to catch me out. (traffic cops, so all on video, and i'm pretty sure i've got a case against them)

It can vary quite a lot depending on your area.

Check here to see what your postcode is rated at:

http://www.motorcarinsuranceuk.co.uk/post-code-ratings.php

I noticed a big difference in the last few years now I am 25. We are paying about £450 for both of us (my partner is slightly older at 28) through direct line.

I have never paid over 1k though... but I also have never had a powerful car either! lol

Phil