How long do you keep your cars?

mr rooney

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mind expanding a little and telling us the circs?

No. Because you have the idea in your head and want the ins and outs of a ducks rear end before you are prepared to accept it.

Please have a look here at the financial ombudsman website: http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publications/technical_notes/motor-valuation.html#3

As you can see, it states why people often get confused between agreed value and insured value exactly as you have.

Please also see see this link to Lancaster's site showing what they pay out on agreed value policies in the case of a claim: http://www.lancasterinsurance.co.uk/agreed_valuation.htm

I run my cars until they become uneconomical to repair or when I think that MOT's will become expensive...

Replaced my 2002 (52) BMW 320d back in 2009 for the Scout, so that was 7 years old...

BMW320dSE.jpg

Sold my 12 year old 306 a few months ago for the vRS so that was 12 years old...

6.jpg

So now a two Skoda family, both these will be run until they die...

IMG_12975.jpg

Or I win the lottery :giggle:

Edited by silver1011

No. Because you have the idea in your head and want the ins and outs of a ducks rear end before you are prepared to accept it.

Please have a look here at the financial ombudsman website: http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publications/technical_notes/motor-valuation.html#3

As you can see, it states why people often get confused between agreed value and insured value exactly as you have.

Please also see see this link to Lancaster's site showing what they pay out on agreed value policies in the case of a claim: http://www.lancasterinsurance.co.uk/agreed_valuation.htm

Ive read both links and I admit I've never heard of it before, both relate to classic cars that don't depreciate so I would still like to know if it has worked in the real world where a car is only worth a fraction of the agreed value and did they have any problems claiming.

I have heard of a lady who had a RTC and had her car insurered for £3k but she only got £1000 because that was the market value, even though her certificate stated insurered value £3000. They pay out what ever they want.

If you declare modifications your insurance company will/can cover the cost of these so your car will be worth more than the market value. That's what i do with flux.

Luckily never had to test it though.

This thread makes me realise how often I change my cars... :(

The Yeti is a year old, and is going in March for a new one.

The Fabia Greenline II is almost a year old and going in March for a new Yeti too.

The GT-R I've only had for two and a half months.

My 09 plate Fabia VRS diesel, which is a car I really want to keep for some time as it's the last one of it's kind has also only been mine for a little less than a year.

Next year after the Yetis arrive I am determined not to buy any more cars for three years...

Loving the Yeti's ey!

Iv put aside a Yeti for my loan car tomorrow, when they first came out i hated them, now i want one!

Loving the Yeti's ey!

Iv put aside a Yeti for my loan car tomorrow, when they first came out i hated them, now i want one!

I was the same. I am now very happy with the Octy to Yeti switch which happened at the 2 years 10 months point (phew back on topic). I was planning to keep my last Octy for over three years but with yeti lead times being a bit mad I started looking in September this year so I could change next Summer. Then a Yeti in the colour and spec I wanted became available in under 2 weeks. :thumbup:

I seem to have fallen into a pattern of trading in when the warranty expires - used to be every two years but then Skoda switched to a three year warranty.

Loving the Yeti's ey!

Are you at DM Keith tomorrow Ema?

I'm taking mine in to have them take a look at the cold starting issue (just typical the temperature is now increasing :giggle: )

I had their Yeti loan car in the summer, probably sold on by now though, it was a 1.2 petrol, I really liked it :thumbup:

IMG_0832.jpg

I tend to run two cars. One for fun (currently a Nissan GTR R35) and one for general use (Octavia TDI SLX).

I tend to change the fun car when I feel like something different.

I've had this Octavia from new (early 1999) and intend to keep it until it becomes unreliable. It has only done 120k miles so it should keep going for a few years at least.

Ive read both links and I admit I've never heard of it before, both relate to classic cars that don't depreciate so I would still like to know if it has worked in the real world where a car is only worth a fraction of the agreed value and did they have any problems claiming.

But you wouldn't have problems claiming, because your agreed value would form part of the contract, and your premiums adjusted to cover it. Therefore under any circumstances where you have a valid total loss claim, you will get the amount that your insurers have been legally contracted to provide. Obviously doesn't apply if your claim isn't valid though.

If you declare modifications your insurance company will/can cover the cost of these so your car will be worth more than the market value. That's what i do with flux.Luckily never had to test it though.

Not necessarily. There are plenty of insurers who require you to declare modifications in order to accurately assess risk, but will only pay out standard market value. I'd check your paperwork and make sure you really are covered like-for-like, it's not as common as you might think...

We have no plans to sell or change our Octavia Estate ( 1.9TDI) as it is so economical & versatile - can't think of a better long term car .

Longest car ownership is 34 years ( 1971 VW Beetle cabriolet)- still have it ! . Previous longest ownership was 17 years (VW air-cooled estate - type 3 Variant - 197,000 miles). Most cars I keep for about 10 years unless there's a major improvement in later model technology that gives significant benifits. My wife's 8 year old 2003 1.9TDI Polo still gives good service without any problems ( easy 56mpg).

We have no plans to sell or change our Octavia Estate ( 1.9TDI) as it is so economical & versatile - can't think of a better long term car .

Longest car ownership is 34 years ( 1971 VW Beetle cabriolet)- still have it ! . Previous longest ownership was 17 years (VW air-cooled estate - type 3 Variant - 197,000 miles). Most cars I keep for about 10 years unless there's a major improvement in later model technology that gives significant benifits. My wife's 8 year old 2003 1.9TDI Polo still gives good service without any problems ( easy 56mpg).

WOW! 34 years! I take my hat off to you sir! That car must be appreciating in value by now?

I was the same. I am now very happy with the Octy.

I seem to have fallen into a pattern of trading in when the warranty expires - used to be every two years but then Skoda switched to a three year warranty.

Me too. First one was after a loan car from Skoda's press office made me aware of the brand so in 2003 I bought an Octy Elegance. Then in 2006 I bought another. In 2008, I bought a vRS and in 2011, another. Nothing to do with finance offers, of course... :rofl:

I run my cars until they become uneconomical to repair or when I think that MOT's will become expensive...

Replaced my 2002 (52) BMW 320d back in 2009 for the Scout, so that was 7 years old...

BMW320dSE.jpg

Sold my 12 year old 306 a few months ago for the vRS so that was 12 years old...

6.jpg

So now a two Skoda family, both these will be run until they die...

IMG_12975.jpg

Or I win the lottery :giggle:

Your cars all look very well looked after!

Hmmm...

2001 Peugeot 206 1.1LX - from when I started driving until last year (2006-2010)

2001 Honda Civic 1.4S - dire car, kept it for about 2 months! Then gave it back to my dad!

2004 Honda Civic 2.0 Type S - loved it. Bought it off my mum. Comfy, quick, handled incredibly well, no one knew what it was and I scalped a fair few unsuspecting chavs :giggle: however, petrol bills (whilst very good for a 2-litre) weren't wallet-friendly. Had her from August 2010 until October 2011.

Cue my current 2003 Skoda Octavia 1.9TDi PD130 Laurin & Klement. It's been a sod so far, but since all the major niggles have been cured I've loved it. Don't plan on getting rid of it for some time.

IMG_4899.jpg

IMG_6498.jpg

IMG_4887.jpg

octimus3.jpg

FIAT Punto........- March 2008 - August 2008 7 months (First car, learnt to drive in it)

Skoda Fabia.......- August 2008 - March 2010 19 months (Nice enough car, more time broken down than working - massive repair bills)

VW Polo........... - March 2010 - Present 21 months(Love it, can't bring myself to sell it. Completely faultess so far)

Mazda RX-8.....- June 2011 - December 2011 7 months (Massive fuel bills! Very competent car - although this took a lot of fun away as it just gripped/turned with no drama or exicetment. Not enough fun to justify the massive petrol thirst. Still maintain the Polo is more fun at half the running costs!)

VW Golf............- December 2011 - Present 1 month(Something to cheap/comfy to drive daily while the fuel savings pay to mod the Polo)

So over the 3 years I've been driving it's been an average of 13.5 months a car, although two of those are ongoing ownerships.

Edited by TriggerFish

Im 23, been driving 6 years in March.

1. Vauxhall Nova Sr

2. Vauxhall Calibra 16v

3. Vauxhall Nova gsi

4. Vauxhall Nova 1.2 fun

5. Vauxhall Nova Gsi

6. Vauxhall Nova 1.3

7. Vauxhall Nova Gte

8. Vauxhall Corsa Sport

9. Vauxhall Nova Sr

10. Vauxhall Astra Gte 8v

11. Vauxhall Cavalier V6

12. Vauxhall Vectra 1.8

13. Vauxhall Corsa 1.4 LS

14. Vauxhall Nova Sri

15. Vauxhall Cavalier Ls TD

16. Vauxhall Nova Xe

17. Vauxhall Corsa Sri

18. Vauxhall Nova Sr

19. Volkswagen Golf Gti

20. Toyota Celica Gt4 185

21. Audi A4 1.8

22. Nissan 200sx s14a.

23. Volvo 850R

24. Honda Integra DC2 Type R

25. Nissan Primera GT

26. BMW 318is Coupe

27. Audi S4 B5 Avant.

28. Volvo S40 2.0 Turbo

29. Volvo V70R Awd

30. Skoda Fabia Vrs

31. Skoda Octavia Vrs (Still got)

32. Bmw 318tds

33. Peugeot 306 Dturbo

34. Vw Golf Vr6 (Still got)

I longest I have kept a car is just over 2 years, the vRS is 18 months old now and im looking at chopping it in against an Audi S1 when they are available. I love the engine and gearbox, but I want more power (standard) and Quattro so will have to defect to get it.