motorway speed limit question

I was driving on the m4 today and there were 50mph signs (black signs with 50 and Orange flashing lights), I have always assumed they are advisory and needed to have red circles to be mandatory. I continued to do 70mph whilst passing a mobile speed camera on an overhead bridge, was I okay to do so or I'm I at risk of receiving a lovely speeding ticket?

Cheers guys, merry Christmas.

I also believe that speed limits aren't mandatory unless they're red circles. But you'll get better advice off the Pepipoo forums, and if you get a NIP in the post then run through their NIP wizard and see what it recommends.

You'll be fine. Only a red circle gets you a ticket. The red circles are now *very* obvious on the M4 east of the Brynglas tunnels with the variable speed limit. Alternating amber = advisory only. Once had a moment with a BMW in the outside lane slowing down to 50mph as I continued on at 70mph, so there's clearly a lack of understanding on these.

E.g....

Variable_speed_limit.jpg

I was asked a similar question on one of my driving tests - I said "advisory speed limit" - the examiner didn't seem to like that - I had to explain that I would of course slow down! I passed!

a BMW in the outside lane slowing down to 50mph as I continued on at 70mph

You do know it's Christmas today, not April Fools day? BMW slowing down to the appropriate speed limit, yeah right... ;)

• Like 1

As already said- Red Circles are mandatory but the black ones are advisory. There are stretches of the M6 and M42 in the West Midlands now with the variable limits! They also have cameras hidden behind each gantry and do average speed tickets!

As already said- Red Circles are mandatory but the black ones are advisory. There are stretches of the M6 and M42 in the West Midlands now with the variable limits! They also have cameras hidden behind each gantry and do average speed tickets!

And the limits actually make the traffic flow better.

They don't do average - just spot measurements.. Only the Yellow cantilever type have Home Office Type Approval to do average apeed enforcment.

And they're not on every gantry (well, the boxes are on many), the M6 only had 2 enforcement gantries at time of comissioning, unlikely to have had more installed due to the level of infrastructure required. Trust me, I was there when they installed them :thumbup:

And yes, speed needs a red ring to be enforcable.

Merry Xmas ;)

Just to add, I don't want people thinking I was an idiot for doing more than the 'advised' speed. In my defense it did seem like it was there for no reason, perhaps from spray earlier in the day.

Because they are just advisory the people controling them seem pretty slow and changing them, so often they are saying 50 mph when its clean and fine to do 70. :thumbup:

The same system is being introduced around the M25 also.

Whilst working as a Field Service Engineer, one of thirty,

MANY had tickets for average speed breaking, even the smart ones who thought changing lanes part way through would do the deal

The problem is doing 300/400 miles a day, you could end up after a week having four infringements and thus Banned, loss of employment and fines

What I do find very unfair, is the penalties dependant on where you live

Live in one area, you get the points you are banned and lose your livelyhood, your home and usually as a result your family all for three points

Whilst in another area the similar person gets to pay a fine and take a speed knowledge course

SO one area £60 fine another area £250k fine

National

I was asked a similar question on one of my driving tests - I said "advisory speed limit" - the examiner didn't seem to like that - I had to explain that I would of course slow down! I passed!

Yep did miss out that it's not a case of ignoring the advised speed limit, more taking it on board and continuing at a speed that is safe for the conditions, and view of the road ahead. In the absence of further info, what does an advisory speed limit mean?! Could there be debris in the road? Could there be a queue/accident/roadworks ahead? If you begin to think about what it could be there for, then you're a safer driver than someone who outright ignores them.

You do know it's Christmas today, not April Fools day? BMW slowing down to the appropriate speed limit, yeah right... ;)

I was surprised too. Perhaps they ignored the limits before and have now used up all their mates to pin the points on, and are desperate to keep their license. They saw that big speed camera sign, 50 lit up, and nearly sh@t their pants because they don't have a clue what the signs mean.

i have been caught out by an average speed zone however i got away with it i was doing 70 and missed a sign that was flashing saying 50 in a red ring, the next gantry i noticed realised my mistake and slowed down to 35-40 to compensate for the missed sign, thankfully me holding up the lay by (opened as a 4th lane) didn't last long as i hit the back of the cue after 30 secs and was stationary for about 5 mins! my average speed was about 10 haha B) B)

They don't do average - just spot measurements.. Only the Yellow cantilever type have Home Office Type Approval to do average apeed enforcment.

And they're not on every gantry (well, the boxes are on many), the M6 only had 2 enforcement gantries at time of comissioning, unlikely to have had more installed due to the level of infrastructure required. Trust me, I was there when they installed them :thumbup:

And yes, speed needs a red ring to be enforcable.

Merry Xmas ;)

That's correct, very few of the ones on the 42 and m6 have cameras behind them and those that do flash and do an instant speed as they are just gatso's.

The average append ones look like CCTV cameras, point st the frin of your car, not the rear and are bright yellow.

I've know a couple of people up here in Cumbria activate the ones on the A66 next to bass lake, they do work.

Whilst working as a Field Service Engineer, one of thirty,

MANY had tickets for average speed breaking, even the smart ones who thought changing lanes part way through would do the deal

The problem is doing 300/400 miles a day, you could end up after a week having four infringements and thus Banned, loss of employment and fines

What I do find very unfair, is the penalties dependant on where you live

Live in one area, you get the points you are banned and lose your livelyhood, your home and usually as a result your family all for three points

Whilst in another area the similar person gets to pay a fine and take a speed knowledge course

SO one area £60 fine another area £250k fine

National

A little trade secret for you, if you get caught speeding by about 4 cameras in one day you will get 12 points added to your licence but only 3 of them will count towards a ban, hence why you hear about people still driving with something like 20 points on their licence. If they're a few days apart though then no such luck.

I agree it's where you live as well which is rubbish, you just have to hope the force subscribes to the driver improvement program.

• Like 1

In the absence of further info, what does an advisory speed limit mean?! Could there be debris in the road? Could there be a queue/accident/roadworks ahead? If you begin to think about what it could be there for, then you're a safer driver than someone who outright ignores them.

And of course the sigh could be on simply because no one had switched it off - like one on the M1 southbound some years ago - we clocked it on for months ,day and night .

• 2 months later...

Quick question about speed cameras on the M25. I was driving through them earlier and one of the cameras flashed but not the one above my lane and, even though there were other cars around, none were level with me at the time. Would this just be a random flash or would it have clocked the person in the lane below that camera??