Continental SportContacts

jonny boy

I don't think the conti's can cope with the power. I keep spinning the front tyres with traction control on, getting out of my work junction. The car does feel a bit slidey (to use the technical term) on the conti's, although i am only on 1000 miles at the mo, so maybe too early to judge.

When my tyres need changing i will be getting Uniroyal Rainsport 2's, i have fitted the exact same size tyre as the VRS to one of my old A-Class Mercs. Had the 17" AMG's fitted, the grip was excellent, and the ride was much improved, can be quite harsh on the A-Class. Mine was lowered and had sport suspension aswell.

My mind is made up, superb value tyre too.

2 months in, all is well with Moshi the green VRS - love it!

Would it be OK to fit 215 17 45 to the standard 17" rim?

I'm thining 45 profile in future 'cos the roads around here are shocking emoticon-0149-no.gif

It will be tight in the rear wheelhouse...

The left one got worse clearance then the others.

Tried 215/50 and they where constantly scraping...

Guess that 215/45 will scrape alot when your hitting speedbumps :-(.

Using 215/40 and no problems with that...

sent from the real deal

Legally you can do it...

Cons

You need to carry a can of Tyreweld or similar along with ur spare tyre..

I'm not sure if it would increase the risk of snap oversteer, which is ok on the track, a fookin nightmare on the roads??

Why do you need the tyre weld as well as the spare?

But the spare, at least on mine is a different size to the alloys, hence the limit on speed when running on it.

Rolling circumference will still be the same on the space saver example, but not on the 205/215 example above...that is why you get a speedo reading differential.

Different overall diameter front and rear will cause the ESP to operate inconsistantly, it's calibrated to run with four evenly sized tyre diameters.

Cheers

Lee

It will be tight in the rear wheelhouse...

The left one got worse clearance then the others.

Tried 215/50 and they where constantly scraping...

Guess that 215/45 will scrape alot when your hitting speedbumps :-(.

Using 215/40 and no problems with that...

sent from the real deal

Is that on a standard suspension or is your car lowered ?

Mine is lowered, so it's something to think about. :wonder:

Thanks for the info.

In this months issue of Evo car mag the conti contact sport3's came out top on there annual tyre test so confused with what people say on this thread.

I've never used them so can't comment. I have used rainsports2's and they are good but chew up badly if you drive hard on the track.

In this months issue of Evo car mag the conti contact sport3's came out top on there annual tyre test so confused with what people say on this thread.

I've never used them so can't comment. I have used rainsports2's and they are good but chew up badly if you drive hard on the track.

I have the conti sport contact 2's, the 3's are much better?

Did you lift off the throttle just before you lost the rear? Sounds like you did, and induced snap oversteer..great fun on wide airfield's, scary on public roads!

Seen this happen before to a guy in a Toyota Glanza... Never seen someone look so terrified on a road in my life! Tight public roads are definitely not the place you want lift off over steer! :|

Edited by frobb

Did you lift off the throttle just before you lost the rear? Sounds like you did, and induced snap oversteer..great fun on wide airfield's, scary on public roads!

The speed limit is 50mph for this stretch of the road, on this roundabout I normally take my foot off the accelarator approaching and put my foot down coming off. The rear end moved sideways on the roundabout, took me by surprise, thought i was gonna crash as i've never experienced this before, i've been on this road for years but it was my first time on sport contacts in the wet.

edit: looking at uniroyal rain sport/expert or falkens next as these contis are bloody expensive (and not great in the wet)

Edited by fabia55

The speed limit is 50mph for this stretch of the road, on this roundabout I normally take my foot off the accelarator approaching and put my foot down coming off. The rear end moved sideways on the roundabout, took me by surprise, thought i was gonna crash as i've never experienced this before, i've been on this road for years but it was my first time on sport contacts in the wet.

edit: looking at uniroyal rain sport/expert or falkens next as these contis are bloody expensive (and not great in the wet)

The other question is what was the temperature?

In the dim distant past I owned a SportKa with Pirelli PZero Neros on which in the dry or the wet drove like it was on rails.

Until, that fateful night, mid December when I took a roundabout at the same speed as ever and the car decided to go straight on rather than turn. Jumped the kerb and damaged the suspension and blew a tyre and cracked an alloy. Not a icy road, just cold and not yet gritted.

That's why I forked out for winter tyres this year, and don't regret it even though we haven't had snow.

H

They can't be as bad as the Dunlop "shiteemax's"

Tempted to do a massive burnout just to waste away the tyres and put something a bit softer on them. :giggle:

Edited by apmaman

A tyre I have used before and trust are Toyo T1-R. Very good road tyre both wet and dry, and a good price. I would have no hesitation putting them on my car again.