Spark plug change

jonny boy

Y would you want to change the plugs they are ok for 60.000 miles unless you have done this mileage

Yes, they would be on a standard car, but it is recommended to upgrade them after re-mapping.

Y would you want to change the plugs they are ok for 60.000 miles unless you have done this mileage

Because the 1.4TSI eats spark plugs. Loads of us have changed them now to find that after only 5-7k that they are littered with scorch marks etc where they have got to hot.

When mapped and running higher boost, its advisable to run plugs with a smaller spark plug gap and cooler setting to maintain a strong spark. Me personally ill be changing the plugs every 10k at the most. Ill be keeping my eyes on these plugs first to see how they are coping. If they are anywhere near as crap as the stock plugs, ill be changing them every 5k. Its only a £30 each time you do it.

So how difficult is it Si, my new plugs turned up today and i thought it was gunna be easy compared to my mazda where the intercooler had to come off lol.

Is it worth a try? did you manage without the tool you need?

• 2 years later...

I bought a vag coil pack removal tool and the coils came out easy £20odd for the tool happy days.

Anybody in Manchester area struggling can borrow it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get a tool and its pretty easy, use some common sense to remove some bits in the way :) but if youre asking what spaller.... haha

my biggest issue was the engine was slightly warm while i was doing it, so the spark plug socket warmed up, expanded and stuck to the inside of the head.

ADVICE:

try and get a 16mm skinny walled spark plug socket

gap the plugs to .55

if youre going to do this yourself, use the coil pack remover

lube up the spark plug socked with some vaseline

have a tin of lynx (or similar) with you for if it does get stuck, spray it to cool the socket down.

hope this helps.

when i took mine out the gap on one of the plugs was around 120 all electrodes were mashed. well worth doing every 10k i reckon :)

Edited by matthewl

Get a tool and its pretty easy, use some common sense to remove some bits in the way :) but if youre asking what spaller.... haha

my biggest issue was the engine was slightly warm while i was doing it, so the spark plug socket warmed up, expanded and stuck to the inside of the head.

ADVICE:

try and get a 16mm skinny walled spark plug socket

gap the plugs to .55

if youre going to do this yourself, use the coil pack remover

lube up the spark plug socked with some vaseline

have a tin of lynx (or similar) with you for if it does get stuck, spray it to cool the socket down.

hope this helps.

Don't know which plugs you used but aren't NGK BKR7EIX pre-gapped to what should be fine already? From old plug threads I don't recall people saying you need to gap them to anything else than stock gap. Just wondering...

• Like 1

They are factory gapped and thin electrode ones are all to easy to damage when gaping DIY style. 

Factory NGKs are gapped at 0.8mm. On other VAG forums people wrote about their experiences gaping their plugs to 0.7mm as being very positive with all around improvement and misfires gone. Gaping plugs is to some extent individual thing depending on your driving style. 

Factory gaps should be fine for most people. 

• Like 1

Don't know which plugs you used but aren't NGK BKR7EIX pre-gapped to what should be fine already? From old plug threads I don't recall people saying you need to gap them to anything else than stock gap. Just wondering...

I bought these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/350592387058?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

I had been suffering from quite violent missfires so I gapped mine to .55 as nothing was stated on the advertisement or the box when they turned up.

I had read that people were gapping them between .55-.65 on seatcupra.net...

imo youre an idiot (not you) if you dont check and gap them yourself when you take them out of the box...

I.e one was .75 two were .65 and one was .8 when i checked the gaps. same with countless other plugs in the past, even when i had a high comp 2t moped and it needed a fresh plug every 1500ish miles, i cant think of one which was the exact same as the one previously put in.

.55 has been fine for me and my car.

They are factory gapped and thin electrode ones are all to easy to damage when gaping DIY style. 

Factory NGKs are gapped at 0.8mm. On other VAG forums people wrote about their experiences gaping their plugs to 0.7mm as being very positive with all around improvement and misfires gone. Gaping plugs is to some extent individual thing depending on your driving style. 

Factory gaps should be fine for most people. 

if you have this tool and not feeler gauges you can gap them pretty well without actually touching the electrode. :)

you can see there he is working with an iridium plug.

I actually think that tool has a better chance of destroying a plug than old school feeler gauges - that loop can pull the electrode, bend it, crumble ceramic around if not used correctly. 

Cannot do that with a 'ol trusty feeler gauge :). That's my preference but everybody can do whatever they feel suits them of course.

That continuous circular (like a solid disc, third from the left on bottom "row") is far better than wire/wire loop ones.

I bought these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/350592387058?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

I had been suffering from quite violent missfires so I gapped mine to .55 as nothing was stated on the advertisement or the box when they turned up.

I had read that people were gapping them between .55-.65 on seatcupra.net...

imo youre an idiot (not you) if you dont check and gap them yourself when you take them out of the box...

I.e one was .75 two were .65 and one was .8 when i checked the gaps. same with countless other plugs in the past, even when i had a high comp 2t moped and it needed a fresh plug every 1500ish miles, i cant think of one which was the exact same as the one previously put in.

.55 has been fine for me and my car.

Problem is not even Skoda Main Dealer Techs check plugs gaping... 

If you are not mechanically minded and don't want/not able to do it yourself all you can do is trust the supplier. Higher end plugs tend to be more consistent with gaps.

I will be doing my plugs either before (less likely) or after Blyton Track Day. My vRS runs sweet, no misfires at all under load, just normal cold start shambles courtesy of emissions police :)

Or maybe I will just pull them to see how they are without changing them? 

I actually think that tool has a better chance of destroying a plug than old school feeler gauges - that loop can pull the electrode, bend it, crumble ceramic around if not used correctly. 

Cannot do that with a 'ol trusty feeler gauge :). That's my preference but everybody can do whatever they feel suits them of course.

That continuous circular (like a solid disc, third from the left on bottom "row") is far better than wire/wire loop ones.

Oh well, if NGK are using that tool, and recording it, for their technical training dvds they must be doing it wrong.. aha. i dont know how extreme when youre gapping your plugs, but im pretty gentle..

tbh, i did use both, feeler gaauge to double check. if youve never used the circular wire one give it a go, its a treat! started using them when i had my ped as my feeler gauge went missing and it has been great since.

Problem is not even Skoda Main Dealer Techs check plugs gaping... 

If you are not mechanically minded and don't want/not able to do it yourself all you can do is trust the supplier. Higher end plugs tend to be more consistent with gaps.

I will be doing my plugs either before (less likely) or after Blyton Track Day. My vRS runs sweet, no misfires at all under load, just normal cold start shambles courtesy of emissions police :)

Or maybe I will just pull them to see how they are without changing them? 

IMO no point pulling them if youre not planning on changing them, its a bit of a half job as it takes no longer to put in a fresh set.

thats what i mean, if you dont check them yourself youre literally relying on them being fine out of the box, which i wouldnt do.

it takes 2 seconds to check i dont see why more people dont.

mine has been fine since changing plugs, my misfire went away instantly, car has been a champ since changing them, it really highlighted how bad it was when it was standard, never mind with the box fitted!