Clutch slipping! Help please!

Just had a remap a couple of days ago, producing roughly 170bhp with 300ft/lb torque. When I give it some in the higher gears my clutch slips. My car is roughly on 88,000 if I replaced my clutch will this problem still occur? Or should I invest in a uprated one? If I put my car back to standard will the clutch hold out? Or has the damage been done? Your help will be much appreciated briskodians!

Cheers, Kieran

Adjust your driving style if you can't afford to replace it yet.

Mine also started slipping after mapping at 86k....Now at 101k it's no worse, I still thrash the hell out of the car.

Drop a cog and rev your car. It won't bite ;)

Does the traction control light turn on whilst the clutch slips ?. I am having similar problems at 60000 miles after a remap. I have a feeling its the flywheel also as the car vibrates at idle.

If the TCS light is flashing and cuts the power, that's your wheels spinning and not the clutch.

Clutch slip is revs rising, but speed not - then it probably bites and off you go again. TCS doesn't kick in as that only measures the rotational speed of the wheels. If the clutch is slipping - little or no power is being applied to the wheels.

Thanks for all of your replies. So my car should be fine if I keep it below a certain rev range whilst driving. And if I decide to keep the remap then it looks as if I will need a updated clutch? Would a PD160 clutch from a Ibiza do the job? Or will I have the same problem. Thanks once again!

Kieran.

Thanks for all of your replies. So my car should be fine if I keep it below a certain rev range whilst driving. And if I decide to keep the remap then it looks as if I will need a updated clutch? Would a PD160 clutch from a Ibiza do the job? Or will I have the same problem. Thanks once again!

Kieran.

No, keep the revs high. Don't change gear to early when booting it.

Techniclutch get very bad reviews all over the web. A lot of people have found that they're standard parts, but painted. They'll tell you it's "uprated", but no detail as to how, or what the benefits are. I wouldn't touch them with a bargepole, personally.

Oh, and the PD160 Ibiza Cupra uses the same clutch as the PD130 Fabia vRS, and the PD150 Leon Cupra, as far as I'm aware. The torque on a standard PD160 is still well inside the ~300ftlb rating for the OEM clutch.

I've only had my map a couple of days and before that I couldn't notice my clutch slipping at all. As soon as I had it mapped the clutch started slipping straight away, I'm just worried that if I opt for a OEM clutch then the problem won't completely go away, and it will start to slip again 5000miles down the line. I've also noticed that a couple of people have gone for the Sachs clutch upgrade then had problems with the original flywheel, juddering and knocking. I really can't afford to buy a complete clutch kit with flywheel. Trying to work out what's the best option!! Thanks everyone for your help and guidance, guess the decision making is up to me now. :(

^^^^ what Matt said

i've had a 177bhp 300lb/ft Jabba map on my car for 70,000 miles and it's just passed a total of 111000 and never experienced any clutch slip.

As said avoid booting it low revs (this puts the most strain on the clutch) and it'll be fine.

It could also be a massively spikey map which is dumping huge amounts of torque on the clutch in one lump.

Where was the mapping done?

I can never understand the point of having all the torque if you can't use it.

Even with a uprated clutch and flywheel I dont find myself sitting at 1500-1700rpm then booting it tbh. I tend to drive it much more petrol like, but then I have a nice smooth map so that helps.

Whilst on the topic of clutches. Will the pd100 be ok on the standard clutch after a remap? Also is the clutch on the pd100 the same as the vrs? :/

I *think* you can use the G60 flywheel or whatever they use on the 5 speed boxes. I`d still expect the OEM one to cope with a map, but as pasty says, its a lot to do with the map. Nice and smooth is the key!