7-speed DSG box replacement @ 12k miles

Duane Dibley

I have been having trouble with an intermittent juddering from stationary for about 3 months now especially under load uphill or fully loaded. After a few trips to the dealer with no fault codes coming up they finally took out the box for inspection and whatever they found, SUK have agreed to a complete replacement box. Slight problem is that there arent any replacement boxes in the country. Dealer (who wasnt the supplying dealer)has kindly loaned me a car meanwhile anyway.

Mine was one of the first 1.2DSG's in the country so I hope this is a rare occurence for other DSG owners sake. Wouldnt like to be stumping up in excess of £3k when it was out of warranty.

I have been having trouble with an intermittent juddering from stationary for about 3 months now especially under load uphill or fully loaded. After a few trips to the dealer with no fault codes coming up they finally took out the box for inspection and whatever they found, SUK have agreed to a complete replacement box. Slight problem is that there arent any replacement boxes in the country. Dealer (who wasnt the supplying dealer)has kindly loaned me a car meanwhile anyway.

Mine was one of the first 1.2DSG's in the country so I hope this is a rare occurence for other DSG owners sake. Wouldnt like to be stumping up in excess of £3k when it was out of warranty.

Have a look at this, is this similar? Fresh off honestjohn's website today.

No not the same - it's a different box in the diesil anyway isnt it.

Wasnt dropping out of gear more like the judder you get when an abs is activated only you are accelerating not braking

No not the same - it's a different box in the diesil anyway isnt it.

Yes, the diesel in a Yeti is a wet clutch 6 speed, not a dry clutch 7 speed.

But looking at the link it says 7 speed, so maybe the 1.6tdi produces low enough torque that they fit the same 7 speed as the petrol Yeti gets.

They have been regularly updating the DSG boxes fitted to the Yeti, as the three letter identification code has changed a number of times, whereas the majority of the manuals have only recently had their first update with the introduction of the MY12.

Hope they can find you a box soon,

TP

They have been regularly updating the DSG boxes fitted to the Yeti, as the three letter identification code has changed a number of times, whereas the majority of the manuals have only recently had their first update with the introduction of the MY12.

Hope they can find you a box soon,

TP

Regarding the HJ article in which the drive drops out on a slope, mentioned in the link indicated above....by coincidence I experienced the same again today (it's always done it and I've accepted that it was the "protection" feature that stops excess slip damaging the clutch / es). The salient feature may be that the replacement box and the courtesy car in the feature all do it (as does mine).

I notice it because my garage is on a slight slope and the garage door isn't overly wide, so I always take care to get it right - and it's while I'm 'getting it right' that the drive sometimes drops out and the car rolls back. If you let it 'catch up with itself' (as opposed to braking and starting again) it takes up the drive with quite a snatch (today it spun a wheel as the drive took up) because today I didn't brake and stop and re-start as I usually do.

Edited by oldstan

See my post above.... apologies, I mean't to post it further back where it made a bit more sense

Edited by oldstan

Funnily enough my 1.2 dsg does the same thing, getting it investigated by the dealer when I have a service in the next month, it feels like the sort of judder you get wheel spinning a fwd car. It only occurs between 1st and 2nd and then only at low revs as you use creeping off from lights etc.

Funnily enough my 1.2 dsg does the same thing, getting it investigated by the dealer when I have a service in the next month, it feels like the sort of judder you get wheel spinning a fwd car. It only occurs between 1st and 2nd and then only at low revs as you use creeping off from lights etc.

That's exactly how mine started and slowly got worse. Good luck with it!

Might I add that I have experienced exactly the same signs/symptoms as the Golf owner as referenced to in the HJ link above.

in my case in a 1.6 diesel Octavia, which features the same dry 7 speed gearbox technology as the 1.2 TSI, though the designation may differ due to different ratios?

So far I have NOt made any progress.

I will now refer Skoda UK to the action as taken by VW Uk in the instance of this golf

Thanks

Marcus

Edited by dieseldogg

Hmmmm,

Making headway in that Skoda at Randlestown have now booked the car in for a full day to "do diagnostics" having, after I demonstrated "the glitch" and, at least from my perspective, admitting that there is a problem with the operation of the transmission.

Fingers crossed.

Hmmmm,

Making headway in that Skoda at Randlestown have now booked the car in for a full day to "do diagnostics" having, after I demonstrated "the glitch" and, at least from my perspective, admitting that there is a problem with the operation of the transmission.

Fingers crossed.

Best of luck! Hopefully you'll get it back soon.

Best of luck! Hopefully you'll get it back soon.

Getting mine back tomorrow morning. The Fabia DSG I have had on loan with much the same engine/gearbox is much smoother on take up than mine ever was from new,so fingers crossed.

Got my car back this morning - it's like a different car to drive. All the hesitatation when starting off in first has gone and that was there from day one. No juddering either. Brilliant!

great news

• 2 months later...

First annual service due soon. Re. Honest John's comments noted in Post #2 above, I too have the transmission that 'lets go' whilst creeping up an incline (in first or reverse). It will creep for a couple of seconds, then drops out of gear. You either then have to brake and restart - or, left to its own devices, it will 'snatch' or 'grab' as the drive takes up again. Must be a nightmare for car transporter delivery drivers who manoeuvre cars on to the lorries. Not terrible but annoying. Any one had any updates since the original topic?

Thanks in advance.

PS. mpg very steady at a checked 35 mpg. Never ever had a tankful calculated above 40mpg.

perhaps Im just a dinosaur but think theres more than enough electronics going on in modern cars without relying on DSG. Whats wrong with a traditional clutch and gearbox ?

Must be a nightmare for car transporter delivery drivers who manoeuvre cars on to the lorries. Not terrible but annoying. Any one had any updates since the original topic?

Have you never seen how the cars are driven and loaded onto the transporter?! They're driven like they are stolen.. probably not muh chance to creep and show this problem :)

It does sound like a really annoying "feature" though.

Good news on the replacement.

Glad to hear one dealer that has pushed for it and followed it through with SUK etc.

Phil

"perhaps Im just a dinosaur but think theres more than enough electronics going on in modern cars without relying on DSG. Whats wrong with a traditional clutch and gearbox ? "

Hardly the most helpful post of the week. Has it not occurred to you that I might actually want an automatic...or that some might even need an automatic. I've had traditional clutches/gearboxes since 1968 - I do just happen to fancy an auto. and it just happens to be a DSG in the Yeti. ...I can afford one - I want one. I've got one. I like it. There's a minor hiccup as described and I've sought advice here.

• Like 1

If Skoda offered it on my 170, I'd have a DSG. Get quite fed up when stuck in traffic, going up the box, down the box, clutch in, clutch out and shake the gear stick about.

I've had both old style autos and a DSG and they have some distinct advantages. For a long time I lived in London and for that kind of drudgery an Auto makes complete sense.

Now I'm not so often trying to make my way through hours of stop start traffic I've returned to a manual which I'm enjoying. Of course there is nothing wrong with a manual-nor with an auto.

If you hanker after the old days of little or no electrics can I recommend a '58 Hillman husky estate-should suit you ideally, sturdy capacious and versatile.

Or were you just trying to wind people up?

I've had to switch to an auto for medical reasons too. I know Mercedes have always have renowned auto boxes (proper merc's, not the A or B class) but my friend who is a well qualified main dealer car mechanic with over 2 years experience advised me that the VAG DSG is the best (excluding Merc I guess). As I need a new car really, that meant I narrowed down my search to a VAG vehicle and the skoda was the lowest price that did met all my needs. And I think the DSG offers a really good drive.

perhaps Im just a dinosaur but think theres more than enough electronics going on in modern cars without relying on DSG. Whats wrong with a traditional clutch and gearbox ?

If I drove a manual car around London, or even on the motorway down to Brighton I would get sciatica in my left leg.

Which would mean visiting my Ostiopath several times a month at £60 a time. My DSG is cheaper.......

And it will get near to 50mpg on a 60mph run.

I also can't see the point in changing gear around London. Driving is stressful enough with all the lemmings out on the roads.

Fortunately tonight they were all queuing to top up their almost full tanks at petrol stations. lol

There is no fuel shortage or strike you lemmings.......

Rant over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk