Daytime running lights

Just got my 2011 Octavia VRS last week. Probably being a complete clown, but can someone tell me if and how you switch off the daytime running lights. The owners manual doesn't seem to make sense

Thought they were a legal requirement for new cars to have them fitted but not a leagel requirement to use them.

This is the case, I maybe should rephrase that to "They are now required to be fitted to new vehicles after Feb 2011 and come on with your ignition."

Be seen be safe. Simple. If you don't like the yellowish light, upgrade to led. I always drive with some sort of front light on, had these activated on my pre f/l to save the cost of headlight bulbs. Brilliant feature

G

Be seen be safe. Simple. If you don't like the yellowish light, upgrade to led. I always drive with some sort of front light on, had these activated on my pre f/l to save the cost of headlight bulbs. Brilliant feature

He's got a VRS so has LEDs anyway. Edited by Neily03

if u have maxidot, then u can deactivate them under "Settings -> Lights & Vision"......

be57de99.jpg

but as the others said, better to leave them 'active' - for safety and legal reasons.

Edited by JR RS

No, DLR's are NOT a requirement on the FL Octavia.

The Octavia had type approval before the new rules were introduced, so they can be switched off via Maxidot or VCDS if you don't have Maxidot.

It is only new cars requiring type-approval that MUST have DLR's from February.

No, DLR's are NOT a requirement on the FL Octavia.

The Octavia had type approval before the new rules were introduced, so they can be switched off via Maxidot or VCDS if you don't have Maxidot.

It is only new cars requiring type-approval that MUST have DLR's from February.

Correct, any new model introduced, existing models, even if a new car dont have to have them

Edited by Stuart_J

At the moment in the Uk it is not a requirement to use daylight running lights, but because the legislation that is due to come in they have to be fitted to all new cars. However in Austria DRL have been banned as it has been shown there that accidents increased when DRL were used. It is essential therefore that there is a means of switching them off if you are planning to dive through Austria. As other answers to your query have stated they can be switched off via Maxidot.

Hmmm... picked up my new car May 2011.. Doesn't have DRL's?

As said in thread.

Octavia FL was type-approved before the DRL law came into play which means no Mk2 FL Octavia will ever HAVE to have DRL's.

Any vehicle that requires type-approval now, so Octy 3 for example will need to have them, unless the rules are changed.

Hmmm... picked up my new car May 2011.. Doesn't have DRL's?

Hummmm!!!

Does your foglamp have to bulbs, one (nearest the grill) is your foglamp light.

Other bulb is for DRL

If you have maxidot you could have it on the lighting menu to turn on

If not, go back to the dealer and make them program the dawm thing

If not also, get soemone with Vag-com to do this (among other things)

Thanks to Austria for ensuring some choice remains for those like me who find them too "in your face". I'd hate to have to access the lights themselves to deactivate them, but I would do that as a last resort if they couldn't be programmed out. If they were less about style and a had a consistent brightness between brands (i.e. not super bright or like Citroens') i'd be less bothered. As you can tell I find them an unneccesary distraction.