Finally Got Round To Fitting My DRL's

M1k32102

DRL's should only be on when the headlights are off, as they are too bright to be used at night with headlights. After all they are designed to be seen in bright sunlight, unlike headlights. Hopefully yours are wired this way otherwise you'll soon be stopped by the police.

Just hardwire some LED sidelights to the ignition. emoticon-0148-yes.gif

You could also diode isolate the front sidelight bulbs so your tail lights only come on by the light switch (I think the dash illumination is a separate feed anyway).

DRL's should only be on when the headlights are off, as they are too bright to be used at night with headlights. After all they are designed to be seen in bright sunlight, unlike headlights. Hopefully yours are wired this way otherwise you'll soon be stopped by the police.

They have a switching relay that turns them off when you turn the sidelights on, that was the main reason i brought these ones

Oh? Is this new rule written somewhere or just a thing the police do nowadays? Currently don't have mine relay'd up to sidelights but easy enough to do I suppose.

The law is as follows

"Make sure the lights comply with safety standards - they must be marked ECE R87

l

Only use your DRLs during the day - they will dazzle other drivers at night

They must either automatically switch off when headlights are turned on or be manually switched off when it gets dark"

Or its a MOT fail

I have a home made up set on mine which as passed the last MOT, I have made many changes to them over time as better LEDs became available. Currently I have put tinted film over them as I believe they were too bight, but having done that I say they are not as bright as some OEM systems that are now appearing on the road. The original set up did switch off when the side lights were switched on but I have since added a dipped/dim system which now dims the lights when the side lights are switched on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3EPA8b-qTI

This system passed the last MOT and I have never been pulled for them or flashed at for that matter. I know the MOT Test have changed but they can be manually switched off if needed.

Karl

I have a home made up set on mine which as passed the last MOT, I have made many changes to them over time as better LEDs became available. Currently I have put tinted film over them as I believe they were too bight, but having done that I say they are not as bright as some OEM systems that are now appearing on the road. The original set up did switch off when the side lights were switched on but I have since added a dipped/dim system which now dims the lights when the side lights are switched on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3EPA8b-qTI

This system passed the last MOT and I have never been pulled for them or flashed at for that matter. I know the MOT Test have changed but they can be manually switched off if needed.

Karl

i like that

The law is as follows

"Make sure the lights comply with safety standards - they must be marked ECE R87

l

Only use your DRLs during the day - they will dazzle other drivers at night

They must either automatically switch off when headlights are turned on or be manually switched off when it gets dark"

Or its a MOT fail

Going on them a new Fabia will fail then. They stay on with headlights. (all be it they dim, but they stay on)