MPG

beerok

Hi all,

Not been in my Superb for long ( approx 5 months) I find the car a pleasure to drive. Very nice bit of kit.

There has been alot on here regarding how small the fuel tank is for such a big and luxurious car which is one thing I find frustrating ! :wall:

but.... I have noticed a disappointing MPG return too.

At best I get 42mpg on a run but knocking around I would say mid 30's. I think this is appalling to be honest!

Does anyone else find the same?

Its a 170bhp DSG.

Thanks for any replies given!

Beerok

At best I get 42mpg on a run but knocking around I would say mid 30's. I think this is appalling to be honest!

Its a 170bhp DSG.

I drive a 170 CR TDi DSG twindoor and over 55,000 miles have recorded an average of 46.814. My commute to/from work is mainly A roads and Motorway with very little stop/start sections. Around town at weekends the MFD shows mid 30's. Quite often see high 50's after a run to work om the MFD, but it over reads by about 8-10%.

I think for a car of its size the fuel consumption is very good.

Hi all,

Not been in my Superb for long ( approx 5 months) I find the car a pleasure to drive. Very nice bit of kit.

There has been alot on here regarding how small the fuel tank is for such a big and luxurious car which is one thing I find frustrating ! :wall:

but.... I have noticed a disappointing MPG return too.

Its a 170bhp DSG.

Thanks for any replies given!

Beerok

I've had my 125 TDI DSG Elegance wagon for just over 2 months and have done 5000+ Kms. This has been a mixture of local driving and long trips. the overall average fuel consumption is 43.46 mpg (6.5 L/100km). The MFD shows the overall average to be 47.88 mpg (5.9 L/100km) which would indicate that the MFD is about 10% greater that the actual consumption.

On long trips, ie 650kms of mainly highway driving, the MFD shows an average of 54.32 mpg (5.2 L/100kms). Here in Australia I drive with the a/c on all the time so I consider the economy I'm getting more than satisfactory. Also I don't drive slowly, I like to use the torque of the diesel engine for quick overtaking.

I bought the Superb to replace my 5 1/2 year old Toyota Prado, 4 Litre V6 petrol, which averaged 18.3 mpg (15L/100kms), so you can probably understand why I'm pleased with the Superb. It's also very comfortable on long trips, 7 to 8 hours. My wife has cyst in her spine and finds the Superb much more comfortable than our Mercedes CLK350, and she didn't even like the Superb before I bought it!

Happy motoring

Ozipete

Edited by Ozipete

My 170 CR DSG has now travelled 18,303 miles of mixed urban driving with comparatively few long journeys.

During that time it has used 443 gallons (2,013 litres) of fuel, an overall consumption of 41.33 MPG.

Best tankful was 49MPG, worst 37MPG.

For the size, weight and comfort of the model, I think that this is acceptable. :)

Ray

The superb is a big unit. I get 42-43mpg out of my 170DSG with a mixture of driving and not really trying to go for economy.

I think this figure is very respectable for such a car. I am sure you get better economy out of a 1.6cr and 1.9pd but they don't have the same torque and ulimatley right foot response.

I came to my superb from a c class merc diesel which only managed 36mpg at best.

My 170CR is a manual and has done18K miles which is mainly good A roads and motorways, light traffic and very little town driving.

Average consumption over the cars TOTAL mileage is showing 46.4MPG.

Best tankful was 50.1 MPG over 569 miles - January 2012

Worst was 43 MPG over 492 miles - March 2011

On a trip to Germany in December travelling at mainly 80ish in crap wet weather with 4 adults saw an average of 46.5 MPG over 450 miles (I am happy with that)

I do find I tend to get 2-3 MPG more whilst on winter tyres (due to a narrower 205mm tread?)

What I have noticed is your speed makes the biggest difference in MPG: for every 5 MPH I do over 65 MPH I tend to 'loose' 5 MPG

The MFD trip reads around 10% optimistic as std (mine is spot on now, thanks to being calibrated with VCDS)

Although not a direct comparison, I've had my 140CR for about 2 months now has been averaging about 43MPG. This is a mixture of roads throughout my day and I'm not frugal by any means.

You can view the details in my Fuelly account below

I drive an 11 plate 170 DSG - you can see my fuelling records at Spritmonitor.de.

Most of my driving is fast single carriageways - so the average is about what you'd expect for that.

I did do some knocking about on urban roads in December - the fuellings on the 19th and 26th, where I got around 41 MPG, are both from predominantly urban driving, with a little bit of fast dual carriageway.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Just to give an update.....

I put £30 in last week and its just coming the red again.

£30 @ 138.9p per litre

160 miles covered

33.68 MPG Ave

All according to torque cars MPG CONVERTOR

Disappointing! :doh:

I'm an in-town driver. Will report my 140 CR MPGs when get the car hopefully in April.

My current 00' toyota corolla 1.3 petrol returns 29mpg purely in town, 44mpg on motorways (70-75mph). Have achieved once 52mpg on a purely a-road trip (55mph average non-stop!). Since mainly in town, average in the last three years was 33-35mpg.

Will be extremely happy if the 140CR can beat this in the future, considering the Superb comfort!

Every MPG comparision thread is being started by a diesel owner. Isnt there anything else thats important for your car?

Probably because most people buy a diesel for the better fuel consumption :think:

More MPG with no less driving appeal - with the right diesel engine, they may not sound as nice as a petrol engine, fuel is dear enough as it is without wasting it unnecessarily by buying a less efficient engine.

As I said in another post back in August 2011 about my Superb Elegance CR170 DSG:

I did a brim to brim mpg check on 1540 miles around the time of a holiday in Northumberland in June/July 2011.

Half the mileage was motorway cruising, to and from, with the cruise control set around 78 mph and with driver, passenger and a boot load of luggage. The rest was travelling on local roads with just 2 up.

My brim to brim calculation was 47.5 mpg. That makes no allowance for speedometer error, but even if that was 10% it would still give a figure of around 43 mpg.

For such a large, heavy car, with the performance offered, and frequently used, I feel this is a very good result.

Thanks for your replies.

Firstly, YES I did buy a diesel for fuel economy!

Second, it does seem mine is worse than most.

I think i will have to check it out and get it looked at.

I'm just wondering if a re-map may help ;)

Averaging 41.62 mpg (actual) with my 4 month old CR179 4x4 estate with a mix of rural, motorway & city driving including about 30 miles with caravan. I have noticed that mpg drops noticeably for about the first five miles until the engine is fully warmed up when air temperature falls below about 5C.

In comparison my BMW 5 series 2.5D estate averaged about 34.5 mpg with the same mix of driving.

Chris

• 4 weeks later...

I keep reading about using VCDS to improve economy....what is it and does it make any difference?

John - from Kent

On the older pre PD engines (at least) you could adjust the timing with VCDS to improve economy, what I think you are reading however is not improving the economy but calibrating the trip computer to show a more accurate MPG reading??