Is DPF really an issue for in-town drivers

Dear all,

I'm considering a 140CR TDI Hatchback and will test drive one on Saturday.

However after reading through DPF problem topics I'm little hesitant. My driving profile (time % not mileage %) is 80% in-town (30mph 80% - 40mph 20%) and 20% out of town, 10k to 12k per year.

Shall I get a 1.8TSI or 1.4TSI instead? The 1.8 has similar price as 140CR Hatchback, so the 140CR will definitely have a much lower 3-year cost (around 1500 pounds less according to Whatcar) and is still preferred.

Can the DPF problem be solved by driving out to the city bypass for 15 minutes once a week?

Edited by redbuta

My now sold PD140 DPF DSG spent Monday to Friday doing a 1 mile each way commute, and only every other weekend it was taken on a 20 miles or so drive. My car was fine and never saw the DPF light in 2 years of owning the car.

Wow good to know. Thanks.

BTW, I'm normally gentle driving when engine is cold, shift gears when reaching 2000rpm. Shall I be more aggressive and change at 2500rpm on these DPF ones?

My now sold PD140 DPF DSG spent Monday to Friday doing a 1 mile each way commute, and only every other weekend it was taken on a 20 miles or so drive. My car was fine and never saw the DPF light in 2 years of owning the car.

Just had an idea to make it safer: Whenever feels the re-gen is on, going home around the city bypass (14 mile trip including 20 min 40-70mph roads) rather than through city centre (3 mile trip).

This will add around 100 pounds fuel bill each year, but will ensure a low mileage driver like me can enjoy the good economy and strong residue of a diesel car. After all, the amount of ash accumulated in the DPF is more related to the mileage. If the active-regeneration can be complete each time to turn soot into ash, there should be little problem for us. I believe gentle on the pedal when engine is cold will help reduce soot, although surely the colder the engine the more soot will generate.

I have a variety of driving but most is less than required to get the engine warm and the DPF working.

As a result I tend to get that really annoying judder at around the 1500 RPM mark - I think this is exacerbated when the DPF is a bit clogged and the car needs a thrash to sort it out.

Do bear that in mind.

Thanks for this tip.

So will a 15 minutes motorway session clear this problem when it happens?

I have a variety of driving but most is less than required to get the engine warm and the DPF working.

As a result I tend to get that really annoying judder at around the 1500 RPM mark - I think this is exacerbated when the DPF is a bit clogged and the car needs a thrash to sort it out.

Do bear that in mind.

Thanks for this tip.

So will a 15 minutes motorway session clear this problem when it happens?

Best solution, I've found, is to stay in low gears for longer. Keep the revs higher.

Should this be done on a dual-carriage way without having to stop/start during the process?

I find it better on A roads eg: 40mph in 3rd gear for a few hundred yards and then 60mph in 4th etc etc. Anything with the revs well above 2500. Dual carriageway would work less effectively as you'd either be making loads of noise - 70 mph in 4th or driving too slowly and cause a hazard.

My Ovtavia PD TDI Vrs mainly runs around town. I find using low gears all the time, 2nd.or 3rd around town helps and I always fill up with BP's finest Derv.

A can of JML DPF cleaner every service also helps, So far No problem, had the Car 18 months and seen the light on the dash maybe twice.

Thanks all for the useful tips. It's not a problem then, I'm close to a few mile-long 40/50 quiet roads.

How much will this dent the MPGs if driving in town with 2nd and 3rd gears? Can you still achieve low 30s?

I'm going to try the 140CR tomorrow. If it's a similar smooth ride as the 1.8TSI at low speed while overtaking on motorways reasonably well, I'll get it.

Thanks all for the useful tips. It's not a problem then, I'm close to a few mile-long 40/50 quiet roads.

How much will this dent the MPGs if driving in town with 2nd and 3rd gears? Can you still achieve low 30s?

I'm going to try the 140CR tomorrow. If it's a similar smooth ride as the 1.8TSI at low speed while overtaking on motorways reasonably well, I'll get it.

Crikey. You should manage 30mpg whilst driving like Lewis Hamilton. I get 45 and don't exactly hang around when the opportunity arises.

I am in Central London and am fairly new to an Octavia. Don't use the car to commute, but even with fairly light use at weekends have had DPF light on several times in recent months. I have needed to drive up M11 to Harlow and back to clear it. Last week DPF, Glow Plug and Engine Management Lights came on in quick succession, car went in limp mode. £180 to have forced regen/get car back on the road.

We are faced with sale of car for a petrol or removal of DPF. I certainly regret getting a diesel.

Sorry to be negative! Otherwise fantastic car!

Edited by kbrokenshire

Hello,

Sorry to hear that.

How long have you got the car? Was this due to the soot not cleaned properly by active regeneration in the DPF? Or other problems caused by DPF? Or was it something else?

Argh!!! This DPF thing is really giving me some headache. Thought Diesel was a straightforward choice as I'm not interested in 0-60 figures... Just want a relaxing and smooth car with good economy from A to B trouble free.

I am in Central London and am fairly new to an Octavia. Don't use the car to commute, but even with fairly light use at weekends have had DPF light on several times in recent months. I have needed to drive up M11 to Harlow and back to clear it. Last week DPF, Glow Plug and Engine Management Lights came on in quick succession, car went in limp mode. £180 to have forced regen/get car back on the road.

We are faced with sale of car for a petrol or removal of DPF. I certainly regret getting a diesel.

Hello,

Sorry to hear that.

How long have you got the car? Was this due to the soot not cleaned properly by active regeneration in the DPF? Or other problems caused by DPF? Or was it something else?

Argh!!! This DPF thing is really giving me some headache. Thought Diesel was a straightforward choice as I'm not interested in 0-60 figures... Just want a relaxing and smooth car with good economy from A to B trouble free.

Hi there,

We have had it about 4 months. To be fair, about 4 weeks ago i had fuel injectors replaced (Skoda have recalled some VRS's) and from what i have read in some cases it has caused issues. Its just been soot build up.. but again from the forum it seems that it is more of an issue with the PD engines that had the DPF retro fitted. The exhaust doesn't get hot enough to burn it off. Obviously every individual will have their own experience's of the DPF, with their own driving pattern's, but for us it just hasn't worked out. I dont want to get rid of the car and like you want the benefits of better fuel economy. I'm leaning towards getting the DPF removed and then keeping it for the long term.

You may well find the feedback of CR Diesels drivers to be very different.

All the best...what ever you decide!

Thanks! Good luck with your DPF problem fixing.

I'll see how it drives tomorrow. Two weeks ago diesel was my choice. After tried my colleague's 1.8TSI estate, and considering my own driving profile, petrol is an equally good option.

Edited by redbuta

I drive my Greenline Estate 6 miles to and 6 miles from work (max speed 40 for 1/2 mile but mostly 20-30) with longer trips some weekends.

Had the car since Nov and no problems (or warning lights) so far!

Edited by DH- Leeds

Tested it today. Smooth, quiet, comfortable. Ordered hatch SE, looking to get it in April!

Gear ratio is different to the 1.8tsi, 3rd gear at 30mph gives 1700rpm. Seems 1st is normal, 2nd and 3rd are very long.

I have a CR140 DSG. I drove 15,000 miles last year, with too high a proportion, about 3/4 around South London. Not had any issues with the DPF so far. I notice it regen occasionally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Administrators

I did 80 miles a day over A/B road. Saw my dpf once in Wicklow, it stayed on, finally going out after I got home at Sheffield via 4 hours with the RAC scratching his head...

Faulty sensor.

Not seen it since and doing less milage now.

So I guess I'm saying, it can be an issue but once in 40k and actually a duff but related part.

I'm going to petrol next time, had a smoker for 4 years now... seem to fill up just as much as when I had a 1.8T...