5 days & 580 miles later...

Hi all,

I picked up my new Octavia VRS TDI from DM Keith Leeds on Thursday with 6 miles on the clock, so after a few days getting to know it here's my thoughts...

Firstly the pickup 'experience'. We arrived at DMKs at more or less bang on the pre arranged time, Gareth was ready and waiting with all the relevant paperwork, offered us a cuppa and got me to sign the registration form so it could be taxed while we went through the boring stuff. It was my first new car experience so some of it seemed a little bewildering but Gareth explained all and kept me reassured.

Then he popped off to fetch it from round the back and pulled into what I'm assuming was a space they'd created round the front of the dealership... Stunning, gorgeous, lush Race Blue paintwork with bright blue sky greeted me as I walked outside and spent the next ten minutes looking at every panel, wheel and interior - the black VRS leather looked ace and smelled great! :wub:

Lastly he went through a few obligatory things, showed me the maxidot which unfortunately displayed 'fixed' servicing, a slight oversight but quickly corrected the following day (we had other engagements).

So, my first drive was a nervy few miles getting used to the size (from an Octy 1 Estate), bonnet length, seat position etc but thoroughly pleasurable - apart from the bloody rain starting! :swear:

I obviously took it very steady with the tight new engine, but even without trying you can tell it'll be potent when running in is complete... So, clearly not happy with just going home to drool at it, I dropped the missus off at work and went for a drive to Shell (not the closest one;)) for it's first fill up.

Over the weekend I've popped out in it at every opportunity, washed it, and filled it up for the Monday 180 mile commute.

It (being a VRS) feels remarkably well planted and balanced - I haven't started chucking it around but when cruising around 60 on a country road it's lovely, not quite the same as my Beemer but then it's not meant to be.

I'm VERY happy with it and feel my decision to buy has so far been the right one - long may this continue! :D

BTW, MPG since pickup is around 46, but this morning's commute was over 50 (most at 80ish on cruise control) so seems like its starting to loosen up.

My running in consists of not going over 3k for the first 600 miles, 3.5k to 700, 4k to 800, 4.5k to 900 and then normal driving with the odd spirited drive... The manual almost suggests this but what do you lot think?

Sorry, no pics yet as I've been too busy driving or it's been chucking it down!

Cheers, Jim.

Edited by Jim1556

Good to hear you're loving your new toy! :thumbup:

I haven't ever had the joy of picking up a car fresh out of the wrapper as it were but know how exciting picking up any new car is. I come across like a 7-year-old at Christmas whenever I pick one up.

Hopefully your entire time with the VRS will be just as good, if not better. It is a truly excellent car.

Similar experience to you, picked up my Octavia Estate 4x4 last Monday from Benfield Harrogate with 7.5 miles on the clock. John had it ready, went through all the paper work and how every thing worked on the car. Very pleased with the service and information I got. After 6 days, now have 655 miles on the clock, went to see my son in Cardiff for the weekend, so did a nice 500 mile round trip. Motorway all the way, took it easy though and did not go over 60 mph, trip reading showed I got an average of 61 mpg.

I did see it when it got delivered to the dealer, with it's wraps on, looked even better when it was ready, nice and shiny; it felt great when driving it off the forcourt, nice and steady. Just a few more hundred miles to do before towing, do not want to rush it. The Octavia will be getting a good run in September, going to the Czech Republic on holiday, so taking it back to it's birthplace!!

Edited by Yorkshire

Need pics!

Don't run it in! Let the oil warm (past 75C on maxidot oil temp) then drive it through as many gears as you can up to the red line. This beds the pistons in better resulting in more power and less oil consumption (I have put 0.5 litre of top ups in in 25k). May seem strange but it works and plenty of info on the net to back it up....also backed up by my qtr mile times of 0-60 in 6.98 seconds (although i have DSG and launch control helps!)

Fixed servicing wouldn't have been an oversight as they all ship on variable so they must have changed to fixed prior to delivery hoping you wouldn't notice - a seemingly common trick employed by dealers.

I haven't ever had the joy of picking up a car fresh out of the wrapper

It's my first time! Only due to redundancy, new job in March (thankfully). I've driven many newish hire/company cars but none compare to buying your own, I got a great deal through Forces Direct but I believe you can get similar off Drive The Deal - £16k for the petrol, plus I plan on keeping it for 5-10 years.

More than doubled my biggest transaction ever though, felt very weird!

Motorway all the way, took it easy though and did not go over 60 mph

I dunno how you did that, painfully slow! Good to see your taking it steady though, my rev counter was under 2.5k at 80 in 6th so I was happy doing it.

All good so far!

Need pics!

Don't run it in! Let the oil warm (past 75C on maxidot oil temp) then drive it through as many gears as you can up to the red line. This beds the pistons in better resulting in more power and less oil consumption (I have put 0.5 litre of top ups in in 25k). May seem strange but it works and plenty of info on the net to back it up....also backed up by my qtr mile times of 0-60 in 6.98 seconds (although i have DSG and launch control helps!)

Fixed servicing wouldn't have been an oversight as they all ship on variable so they must have changed to fixed prior to delivery hoping you wouldn't notice - a seemingly common trick employed by dealers.

Well it's nearly 600 miles old so I'll be building up to the redline over the next week... But I reckon if that was the best way to bed it in, it'd be common knowledge and in the owners manual?

0-60 in what? :o Holy f*ck! Standard? DSG or not, that's effing quick for a Diesel! Nice! What was your qtr though?

WRT the servicing thing, Leeds have a good rep AFAIK so would be surprised, but with cars being ever more reliable these days I suppose dealers need another revenue stream...

Well it's nearly 600 miles old so I'll be building up to the redline over the next week... But I reckon if that was the best way to bed it in, it'd be common knowledge and in the owners manual?

0-60 in what? :o Holy f*ck! Standard? DSG or not, that's effing quick for a Diesel! Nice! What was your qtr though?

WRT the servicing thing, Leeds have a good rep AFAIK so would be surprised, but with cars being ever more reliable these days I suppose dealers need another revenue stream...

15.492 qtr mile. Totally standard B) People don't believe me (mostly petrol owners!) but did 2 runs and near identical results and its in black and white on theresults.co.uk to prove it :giggle:

It is pretty common knowledge but manufacturers wont put that in the manual just in case as some numbnut would rev the nuts off it before the oil has warmed up etc. all engines are bench tested anyway so will have been sat on the redline for a good while anyway!

WRT servicing - i have heard bad rep about DM Keith on here?? of is it only particular branches? Live nowhere near so may have overlooked the details!

15.492 qtr mile. Totally standard B) People don't believe me (mostly petrol owners!) but did 2 runs and near identical results and its in black and white on theresults.co.uk to prove it :giggle:

It is pretty common knowledge but manufacturers wont put that in the manual just in case as some numbnut would rev the nuts off it before the oil has warmed up etc. all engines are bench tested anyway so will have been sat on the redline for a good while anyway!

WRT servicing - i have heard bad rep about DM Keith on here?? of is it only particular branches? Live nowhere near so may have overlooked the details!

Awesome qtr! You need a GoPro video cam, Youtube is your friend! ;)

The only thing I found said only a sample are tested and would suggest that procedure is for race engines that aren't expected to last: http://www.lazymotorbike.eu/motorcycles/breakin/

I heard a few bad things about Leeds, but that was from threads a few years old, recently they seem to have upped their game and I've been quite happy with the service...

I haven't ever had the joy of picking up a car fresh out of the wrapper as it were but know how exciting picking up any new car is. I come across like a 7-year-old at Christmas whenever I pick one up.

i remember the day i went to pick mine up from the dealer - it was in the showroom floor, "under wraps". we did the unveiling 'ceremony' with the dealer manager present ;)

156.jpg

Over the years I have been very lucky to own many nice new cars, and I have found that when they are new as above let them warm up and just drive them normally.

Even now I still get excited getting a new car :) Can't wait to get ours some time in March.

i remeber picking up my fiesta ST brand new out the wrapper. it is an awesome experiance. especially because i had it picked up on the 1st of march so was one of the very few 08 regs on the road. was well chuffed.

I was sooo excited when mine was nearing collection! Mine was delivered to the dealer at 9am on a Monday morning, they rung me to say it had arrived, I was there by 0930, and then told them I was collecting that afternoon at 4.30pm, they didnt like that idea, but agreed, I was back there at 3pm pacing up and down and watching them do the PDI!!!!

Sad or what!!!

Then I walked round the managers office and helped myself to a load of goodies from his little 'customer collection goodie cupboard!!!'

Edited by james_19742000

I was sooo excited when mine was nearing collection! Mine was delivered to the dealer at 9am on a Monday morning, they rung me to say it had arrived, I was there by 0930, and then told them I was collecting that afternoon at 4.30pm, they didnt like that idea, but agreed, I was back there at 3pm pacing up and down and watching them do the PDI!!!!

Sad or what!!!

Then I walked round the managers office and helped myself to a load of goodies from his little 'customer collection goodie cupboard!!!'

A little eager then? ;) I was counting down the days too, great experience!

Mileage wise it's my new commuter and as such will be doing around 500 miles a week when I start my new job...

I didn't get any goodies... :(

Edited by Jim1556

I picked up my Octavia vRs 2 weeks ago, and I was also very excited getting a new car. It was an Approved Used Car 4,000 miles on the clock. It has leather interior, front and rear parking sensors, heated front seats, electric sunroof, full spare wheel etc, things that you would have to pay as optional extras. It is even in my favourite colour anthracite grey. I'm always very nervous driving cars that don't belong to me, and stalled the engine twice when pulling away, as I found it has a very short first gear.(I'm also a woman driver lol) But now I feel like I've been driving it for years, very smooth drive, great pulling power and I love it!

Edited by Tigger25

A little eager then? ;) I was counting down the days too, great experience!

Mileage wise it's my new commuter and as such will be doing around 500 miles a week when I start my new job...

I didn't get any goodies... :(

Yes just slightly! No goodies!!! Whattt!!! So, no flowers for the wife? No top up oil in a snazzy case etc??

Yes just slightly! No goodies!!! Whattt!!! So, no flowers for the wife? No top up oil in a snazzy case etc??

Right it has become apparent the 10p keyring I got was not as good as some nor the light on with no range having to put first load of diesel in at an inferior station, not enjoying my new car but being left to think will I make it and where the hell is it!!!!! :thumbdown: :wonder:

Jim1556 Good stuff on the new motor enjoy the new car smell. I got mine last March and as it will in 3 years still going to feel like a new car to me! Mine was a first new car too and the cheeky crafty bugger wanted me to make full payment more or less as I came threw door before I even saw car..... and also the fixed servicing (followed by lying to me about it coming out of factory like that until I said lets look at sticker in boot) B) .

Gutted on redundancy at least its given you a nice new set of wheels and billy bonus on the new job lined up (wish I was in your shoes).

Utter failure on your part to still not have any pics of it up here and especially because its in the only true VRS colour!!!! GET THEM UP PLEASE!!

Finally - Enjoy(but only after pics posted).

Right it has become apparent the 10p keyring I got was not as good as some nor the light on with no range having to put first load of diesel in at an inferior station, not enjoying my new car but being left to think will I make it and where the hell is it!!!!! :thumbdown: :wonder:

Jim1556 Good stuff on the new motor enjoy the new car smell. I got mine last March and as it will in 3 years still going to feel like a new car to me! Mine was a first new car too and the cheeky crafty bugger wanted me to make full payment more or less as I came threw door before I even saw car..... and also the fixed servicing (followed by lying to me about it coming out of factory like that until I said lets look at sticker in boot) B) .

Gutted on redundancy at least its given you a nice new set of wheels and billy bonus on the new job lined up (wish I was in your shoes).

Utter failure on your part to still not have any pics of it up here and especially because its in the only true VRS colour!!!! GET THEM UP PLEASE!!

Finally - Enjoy(but only after pics posted).

Hmmm, where to start, Gareth at Leeds didn't ask for payment until we'd inspected the car, and when I asked about fuel he said they'd put 10 litres in as part of the pre delivery inspection! I guess some dealers are better than others! :) Incidentally the car will be living on Shell fuel as it's MUCH better than supermarket sh1te... Sticker in the boot?

I asked for redundancy as it came with 6 months notice and a substantial (to me) payout. The new job is at the same place, with the same people, same building but a different boss and different uniform - easy transition with a month off in between to relax! ;)

REALLY sorry about the pictures, I'd love to, but while the weather is crap, it's getting covered in road muck and not having chance to wash it properly (just a rinse with a pressure washer) I'd rather not put pictures up that don't show it looking amazing!

Rest assured as soon as I get chance to do it properly, pictures will be up! :D

PICS, finally - albeit a wash and rinse instead of a proper seeing to and using my crappy mobile:

http://thumbsnap.com/Tvym8boT

http://thumbsnap.com/4RCBDl3N

http://thumbsnap.com/8gjBSmVv

http://thumbsnap.com/ANO6alge

http://thumbsnap.com/eq1Gd342

Why the bloody hell is it so difficult to upload images? On Pistonheads I can upload straight from my desktop even though it hosts them on thumbsnap! :swear:

Sod it, I've given up... 'Can't use that image extension on this board!' ARSE!