E-mail recommendations

Black-Cat

Hi folks, need a little bit of advice. Now I'm not a computer wizzkid so be gentle.

Just got my latest bill from VirginMedia and it's gone up again, spoken to customer services and there is nothing they can do apparently, therefore I intend to change them and go with Sky or Orange (wife works for the latter).

Anyway the thing I need advice on is my E-mails, obviously I'm with Virgin but I can't keep my account so need to change. Now there are quite a few different ones to choose from GMail, Yahoo, Hotmail, etc, so I'm just wondering if anyone has had any experience of changing and how easy it is and which E-Mail provider is worth going for!

Cheers in advance :thumbup:

Garry

Hi folks, need a little bit of advice. Now I'm not a computer wizzkid so be gentle.

Just got my latest bill from VirginMedia and it's gone up again, spoken to customer services and there is nothing they can do apparently, therefore I intend to change them and go with Sky or Orange (wife works for the latter).

Anyway the thing I need advice on is my E-mails, obviously I'm with Virgin but I can't keep my account so need to change. Now there are quite a few different ones to choose from GMail, Yahoo, Hotmail, etc, so I'm just wondering if anyone has had any experience of changing and how easy it is and which E-Mail provider is worth going for!

Garry

I always recommend that people have ISP-independent email, so that you don't have to change every time you move provider. I tend to recommend gmail, as it's easy to set up for multiple devices and email clients. I'm not really a fan of their webmail presentation and the way they nest convos, but I don't use it that way, so not too bothered. Yahoo, Hotmail all much of a muchness. Just avoid AOHell.

Gmail is the same email that SKY use , they subcontract it out to Google but use sky.com addresses .

DONT go with Orange , they are the worst provider i have ever come across . I run a business repairing computers in peoples homes and Orange by far are the most pain in the arse company to deal with , they make TalkTalk look good .

DONT go with Orange , they are the worst provider i have ever come across . I run a business repairing computers in peoples homes and Orange by far are the most pain in the arse company to deal with , they make TalkTalk look good .

I find that hard to believe - surely nobody could make Talktalk look good?!

Garry

why can't you just keep your virgin address? Your ISP and email can be with different providers.

I am with BT for internet but my email is with sky and apple.

Prolfe

As said further up get your own URL, this is by far the best as you have full control and if it ain't gone you can have something that is individual to you. Bit like a personal plate :-)

John

why can't you just keep your virgin address? Your ISP and email can be with different providers.

Well I did ask and was told quite categorically no! I think it's going to be a bit of a pain changing it, things like banking, online shopping, etc.

Think I'll be going with Sky as my ISP as I've got their TV package and £7.50 seems pretty good for unlimited broadband and GMAIL for my e-mails!

Cheers people! :thumbup:

Well I sorted a new account out last night with mail.com and luckily at the minute Sky have broadband free for 6 months so they'll be getting a phone call in the morning! ;)

Cheers Prolfe, might give that a go actually!

Gmail - all your base are belong to us!!

Google likes to look at your data. But tbh they probably all do it.

I've been on yahoo for about 17years with the same account (that's scary now I think about it).

I have spares at various others including Gmail, Hotmail etc. There all pretty much the same.

As well as an account for all the messages you do want to receive you should set up a 2nd account for all the junk stuff, things like websites where you must enter an address just to get a bit of information Use something like [email protected] then if any company asks for your address you can tell them without compromising your real address :)

Edited by hertsnminds

As well as an account for all the messages you do want to receive you should set up a 2nd account for all the junk stuff, things like websites where you must enter an address just to get a bit of information Use something like [email protected] then if any company asks for your address you can tell them without compromising your real address :)

Yahoo do throw away emails for this very reason.

You have your main email, then you create emails for each site. Bin any that are compromised. Works well.