4X4 in snow - ESP on or off !?

Fabpreza

Can someone with good experience of driving a 4x4 Yeti for a while advise when its best to switch off the ESP button and when it isn't? No-one seems to be able to say definitively !

Background is that I've owned loads of 4x4 estates and a few modern SUVs including the 170 Yeti I have now. It seemed good in France but there wasn't that much snow around at the time.

The only problems I've ever had in snow have been:-

1)My 4x4 Octavia was a nightmare on rutted motorway snow with ESP on - switching it off made a huge difference.

2)Generally terrible braking on normal summer tyres, but at least with the Yeti I could stick on the off-road / hill descent a couple of times this year.

SO, in say 3 or 4 inches of snow (tomorrow morning !?) would you leave the ESP on or turn it off?

SO, in say 3 or 4 inches of snow (tomorrow morning !?) would you leave the ESP on or turn it off?

You can't turn ESP off. Only ASR. Normally you don't have to turn it off. You will notice then you need to turn it off. The ASR light on the dash will light up all the time and the car has difficulties to go forward. I only had to turn it off once. But I was going uphill in 8 inches of snow.

You can't turn ESP off. Only ASR. Normally you don't have to turn it off. You will notice then you need to turn it off. The ASR light on the dash will light up all the time and the car has difficulties to go forward. I only had to turn it off once. But I was going uphill in 8 inches of snow.

OK thanks. My Mk1 Octavia 4x4 was dangerous with ESP/ASR on (opposite-lock steering need on the M1 motorway!)but my Mk2 Octavia Scout was fine - I guess from what you say, they have developed the system again from the Scout to the Yeti?

I will push no buttons unless I fancy some downhill descents !

Thanks

In snow the haldex 4wd system works better with TCS off; torque transfer is more progressive and the car is easier to control (and keep in mind that ESP is still there for your safety)...

Edited by KoJoTe

I tell you what, you do it your way, and I'll do it the way I've been trained to drive 4x4's......99% of the time the computer reacts quicker and knows better than my human brain.

Everything left turned ON!

(Oh and I presumed the OP meant the TCS button!)

In snow I would also have the offroad button on all the time, it is not just for descents, but modifies loads of stuff including the ABS, TCS, ESP etc. you should not be doing more than 20mph in those conditions with winter tyres, and much less on summers in my experience. Have another look in the manual for what the offroad button does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tell you what, you do it your way, and I'll do it the way I've been trained to drive 4x4's......99% of the time the computer reacts quicker and knows better than my human brain.

Everything left turned ON!

(Oh and I presumed the OP meant the TCS button!)

Absolutely definitely +1 to leaving it all on :thumbup:

This is my 3rd winter of Yeti driving in the snow and it seems highly capable of sorting things out for itself.

Absolutely definitely +1 to leaving it all on :thumbup:

This is my 3rd winter of Yeti driving in the snow and it seems highly capable of sorting things out for itself.

+2, except if you get stuck in the really deep stuff and need to spin all 4 to dig out. BTW, the off-road button does not help in snow.

I would say the offroad button does help in snow, specially for stopping as the ABS program is modified and allows the wheels to lock a little so you can build up a wedge of snow and stop quicker.

I would say the offroad button does help in snow, specially for stopping as the ABS program is modified and allows the wheels to lock a little so you can build up a wedge of snow and stop quicker.

Also in this camp having tried driving the Pat Monster on both winters and those daft 17" summer sports tyres in fairly heavy falls of snow. There is a noticeable improvement in traction.

TP

This is what I thought while test-driving a dealer's 4x4 Yeti fitted with summer tires on a shoulder covered with fresh soft snow about 4-6 inches deep. It almost didn't brake at all. I tried turning offroad mode on, then - ASR off, but that made no noticable difference. I know that it is very important to have proper tires for the ABS to work properly on slippy surfaces. But still, it seems very strange to me that offroad mode didn't change anything. I'm going to explore this deeper as soon as weather conditions allow.

Edited by briskycat

Last night coming down a steep hill I decided to stop. First off with the offroad button on Hill Descent was working and you could feel it braking on each corner. So I just pressed the brake. You could feel the ABS cutting in, but you could also feel the wheels locking and creating a wedge of snow.

I'm glad I asked the question now in the first place ! :smirk:

Seriously though it sounds like we all need some practice with this specific model of car, with the various assistance combinations available. As I mentioned, I've owned lots of different four wheel drive road cars with just one truly scary drive in all those years as a result, and that was with ESP on. Other than that my only issues have always been about stopping rather than getting going!

I get the downhill assist routine through the off road button as it really did work abroad a few weeks ago - so I'll put that on if I think there's a risk of running away in ice coming to a junction etc.

Re ASR (my mistake that it was an ESP off button), if its just about traction control, why do they bother giving you a button to switch it off on a 4x4 ?

Based on very limited experience I'd say leave the electronics to do their work. If conditions are bad use the off-road button.

Down hill on ice gravity and co-efficient of friction will in the end decide what happens-winter tyres will improve the odds but sheet ice is decisive.

Heading down our track this morning (see my other thread about going to get a paper) I pressed the offroad button, engaged first and took my feet off the pedals. I steered, the technology did all the braking as and when necessary. Not a single slip/skid, though I could hear/feel individual wheels being braked/released etc (especially at the steep hairpin bend). Back up again, engage first and offroad button (even in dry conditions there are only 2 places on our hill where second gear is appropriate) good steady pressure on the accelerator and again the car did the work. :thumbup:

My Yeti doesn't have the Off Road button, however on the way home from work this morning I tried it with the TCS button on and off. Whilst it might be fun driving around tail happy with it OFF it felt far safer and more comfortable with it ON.