URGENT! Aargh! lost locking wheelnut key

Things going from bad to worse here!

After destroying my scout's engine on friday I wanted to put its snow tyres onto my wife's leon as that's the only car we've got at the moment. She's due to go into labour any day now so need to have the leon as good as poss in this weather. To add to the problems I've got atleast 100 miles to drive tomorrow for work so need to get this sorted today!

Went to swap them last night and found that I've now lost my locking wheelnut key! I always keep it in the ashtray but it's not there...

How can I get the wheels off? Presume I won't be able to drill them as they're hardened steel - TPS and garages aren't open on a sunday. What can be done?

thanks in desperation

a

Probably needs those hammer on, mangle-up, reverse threaded lokcing bolt removal tools. Usually only had by garages. :(

Sounds pretty daft, but best solution is to try and think back to where you left that damned locking key! Looked everywhere? (or did you commit the cardinal sin of leaving it on the key once fitted, and then drove off?....I did that once and the key was still on the bolt *phew)

Sorry to hear about your problem! I have nearly left mine lying on the side of the road once, in fact, you have reminded me that I had planned to paint it fluorescent orange - must do that now. I would guess yes RAC or dealer would have a way around it.

no idea what the name of the bolt type is but it's basically an oversized spline drive. I'm about to head out to the car again (with my wife (can always find things!)) to tear the car apart to find it. If not will find a suitable sized bit of metal to hammer into the head and wrench it out (fingers crossed it's not too seized)

I'm in melton mowbray, so if anyone's got a bit of kit to sort this out there are plenty of beer tokens available!

On my car there is a specific place in the polystyrene insert that sits in the spare wheel where the locking bolt fits into, is there not one on your car.

On your car's last visit to a garage have they put it there or in the spare wheel well?

car has now been emptied - definitely not in there. (not even in the spare wheel well!) think i might have to get mediaeval in its arse

I once was in the same situation. I got a lock wheel nut removal tool as mention above from halfords. Worked a treat :thumbup: Only about a tenner to!

I had the assistance of an impact driver though so might of made it easier.

Where are you in the country?

There may be a member nearby who could lend you theirs? (I'm assuming the spline is a standard pattern?....)

Worth a shot?

Niall

thanks for all of the replies - been to hellfrauds - apparently have no suitable tool. Giving up today ad will head to TPS tomorrow...

If they can't do it the spline hammered in will be the next choice

;Niall - thanks for that - have tried my wife's leon key and father in law's touran key with no luck 0 theirs are splines but mine's got castellations on it

Replacement from dealer?

Sounds like the standard locking nut rather than an aftermarket McGard type.

Try Skoda Parts - I had same problem with Octavia spline and they sent parts arrived next day.

Otherwise weld a nut to wheel spine bolt to remove.

http://www.skodaparts.com/product/locking-wheel-nuts-21098

AMI

Thanks all. TPS Leicester saved the day in the end , had the box of bolts as shown above. Luckily I have got spacers on the rear wheels with long bolts so I had a spare locking bolt for comparison

Thanks for all of your help

A