Mobile Phone - Back to Basics

Royston

The Mrs managed to put her iPhone 4 on a 40 degree wash recently, causing it to cease to be an iPhone. It looks like an iPhone, it certainly still has the same monthly tariff as an iPhone, but it is no longer a phone, more an iBrick.

So My iPhone 4S has now been commandeered by SWMBO as she simply cannot live without the features of the iPhone for more than 24 hours, and I have been forced to purchase a cheap replacement pending a contract renewal in June.

So £15 in the O2 shop has bestowed me with the awesomeness that is the Nokia 100. It is a phone that sends SMS texts. And that is it. No mp3. No GPS. No Email, No maps, no Google, no camera. No picture messages, no Facebook, no games, no video, no YouTube, no sharing, nothing. Except calls and texts. Oh, and it lasts 5 days on a single charge!

It's like going back 10 years. But I like it. In fact I love it. I'm not constantly tethered to the Internet, checking what boring strangers have had for their tea, how badly NUFC have lost and trying to beat my latest highs core on Fragger.

I've had more conversations and seen more of my family than I have for a long time. I've been able to concentrate better at work, and felt an overriding sense of calm. I still check in with the iPad when I get home, but I don't spend half as long online as I did. It's like living actual life instead of virtual life.

I'm not sure I want to replace the Nokia 100......

Still have a Nokia brick as a 'stunt' phone for holidays, nights out etc.

It gets a better reception than my smartphone, voices are clearer and can go 2 weeks + on one charge. Seems to be pretty much indestructible too. I'm often tempted just to sell the smartphone and go back to basics.

I have a Samsung red coloured brick/IP rated Mil spec thing...has a basic cam, MP3, and I thing WAP/internet (don't really know as don't use these bits).....very tough....got it unlocked and sim free!!....they also do a new "Solid" version even tougher and a 3mp cam!!!....and slightly bigger.......thing is you can use the buttons on these phones without having to get a pen!!...(and i've got slim fingers)!!!!!! B)

falls-to-the-floor-break-the-screen.jpg

Too true - the old Nokia was the standard mobile seen on rail blockades for years . It survived anything that the weather or the staff could throw at it ,and came back laughing .The only thing that failed was the battery .

...they also do a new "Solid" version...

I have one of these. Battery lasts for weeks (don't make many calls but I do use the torch a lot). I like the 'button' phones; you don't have to mollycoddle them. My last two phones (Nokia) 'drowned' so the waterproof thing is good also. If I go swimming I just stick it in the pocket of my shorts!

Haha,

I've still got many 6210, a couple of 6310 and an old banana phone nokia.

I use an E series at the moment and the biggest thing is that it actually lasts for days.

Yes I have a smart phone for work, but it's not all that.

Calls are poor, typing is a mare (A BB is much better for e-mail) and battery life and signal are IMHO aweful.

I'd have a symbian nokia any day over the smart phone junk.

That was the 7110, but it was the 8110 (modified to spring out) that was used in the film.

FWIW, I think one of these would be a good phone and they do a version with a normal keyboard too:

http://europe.nokia.com/find-products/devices/nokia-asha-303

A month quoted standby time on GSM and 3G is even longer at 35 days.

Sure it might not get that in real terms but it's going to be at least 2 weeks standby or a week with typical non business/teenager useage.