I'm having a nightmare...

carnivorous

I may add that I was informed on Friday by a source inside BMW Headquarters in Munich, that UK dealerships (in BMW's case) have the worst rate of warranty repair diagnosis in Europe.

I can believe that. My MINI (bought from new) was in three times to get a tailgate rattle fixed, but it still rattled :wall: . An hour on google and one piece of sticky tape later and the rattle was fixed! I'll probably have to replace it every few years but it works. And you mentioned an X1, I tested the X1 against the Yeti and much preferred the Yeti. Good luck.

Edited by Timmy 7

As others have said, one of the problems is that modern cars are just so much better made than of old--with long service intervals etc

The techies just aren't getting the experience in fixing things. It's a long time since anyone in a main dealer actually repaired something instead of just replacing it.

There's also a definite lack of customer care at main dealers,at the service desk; generally with a pretty obvious,thinly diguised, " tell him owt" and "fobb him off" attitude. I apologise to dealerships which aren't like that, but in my experience they're few and far between

In my present car it took 12 months to get the towbar electrics working properly! :wonder:

I have yet to decide what I am going to do about this. I love the Yeti and would ideally prefer them to replace it like-for-like. However, Yetis are so thin on the ground that won't be easy.

I'd wager, given your credentials, SUK probably have your exact model, currently available as a press car, for such a like-for-like replacement, but whether you'd want one after the driving antics of some of your colleagues ... :giggle: :giggle:

Hahaha. I'd never want a 'press car'. Some or even most are indeed treated very badly - but then again surely that's kind of the point? ;)

@Yetiscot: I once (years ago) had a dealer lying to me so badly/constantly, I decided to start recording the conversations. The blatant lying then ended up being played at a meeting with the brand manager only to be met with a very embarrassed "I'm sure the dealer are just trying to keep your mind at ease and not flood you with technical jargon..." etc. etc.

Damage limitation is the new mantra...and the best bit is when you catch them out in their hole they seem to put up their defenses and keep digging themselves in deeper rather than just admitting their faults and sorting them out.

The frightening thing about my case at the moment is, just about everything under the bonnet that affects fuel pressure has now been replaced - and the rattle is gone but the fuel pressure is inconsistent. Of course nobody ever even tries to ascertain the "cause" of the problem rather than just replace what they think might be broken and leave whatever caused it to break in the first place untouched.

So something is causing inconsistent fuel pressure, which in turn led to damage to one of the fuel system components under the bonnet.

Ironic then that I asked about the fuel pump noise originally and was told "it's normal some cars do it, some don't":

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/229492-is-it-normal-that-i-can-hear-my-fuel-pump/

In my experience, if only "some cars do it", it isn't "normal".

I'd put money on Skoda replacing the fuel pump in the tank next....you know, the part I said was noisy weeks ago. :wall:

Edited by carnivorous

"I'd put money on Skoda replacing the fuel pump in the tank next....you know, the part I said was noisy weeks ago."

Well I'd keep at it-- looking on the bright side-you'll have a new fuel system on the car at this rate and have a few thousand miles less on the clock than you would otherwise

Try and be positive--yea I know you're positive you are pi$$ed off :@

This fuel system problem is familiar!

My Yeti misbehaved last summer, went into 'limp home' mode and was found to have low fuel pressure. Local Skoda repairers proceeded under the guidance of Skoda Technical Department to replace the fuel system bit by bit till eventually (after FIVE WEEKS!) found that there was a leaking fuel injector. All the injectors were replaced and the car has run perfectly since. The garage told me their hands were tied as they had to follow Skoda's instructions or the repair would not be accepted as a warranty claim. However, as I was out of the country for 3 of these weeks and I was given the use of another yeti till my car was fixed, I don't really feel too aggrieved.

Unfortunately I am in the country and there are no Yetis for them to give me. Looks like I'll be taking up their offer of a refund as they have told me they have no idea how long it will take for the issues to get sorted. :-/

Right it's pretty much over. I'm getting a full refund as Skoda are not in a position to give me a date for when the car will be fixed and can't put me in a suitable car for the forseeable future. It's hard to get a well-priced nearly new Yeti at the moment as the residuals are so high - so I've been looking and am going elsewhere.

For what I paid for my 03/2010 20k mile manual Elegance 140 4x4, I've managed to secure a 11/2011 6k mile Toyota RAV4 AWD 2.2d Auto with every extra including heated leather, nav, reversing camera etc. and the remainder of the 5 year 100k warranty - at a substantially lower APR.

I'm sad to see the SM go but the RAV is a lot of car for the money and their reputation for reliability is also very good. I think it's a good deal and it just seems a better option for me at the moment. I had looked at the Yota originally but the prices seem to have dropped by 3-4k in the last few months.

I need to give credit to Mark Fox at Skoda CS, who has been very accommodating and has agreed that the current situation is unacceptable. He has made a lot of effort with the odds stacked against him and was kind enough to arrange the refund for me.

Sorry to see you leaving the Yeti fold, but I reckon you've made a sensible move!

In the relatively short time you've been here I think you've contributed a lot to the Forum - stick around and keep us posted on the hopefully fault free Rav4 :thumbup:

Oh no!!!!! This is very sad. I'm glad you got it sorted, though sad to see you leave the fold for a RAV4! I for one can't ever live with that impractical side hinged rear door. But sounds as if you got lots of toys to play with. I hope the Toyota is as fault free as their reputation would have us believe.

Sounds like a result, albeit a sad one.

I owned 3 RAV4s in sucession (2lt Petrol) and was happy with them until I had a dealer experience similar to yours!

In those days I was a quite, retiring sort of person ( :happy: ) and so I voted with my feet rather than get further involved.

I did consider another RAV when I got the Yeti but it couldn't compete on any front and certainly not on value for money.

Good luck.

Fred

You have done the right thing. I had a problem with my last bmw, a rattle I was not prepared to live with as 8 dealer visits failed to sort it for more than a couple of weeks! I ended up selling the car. I agree with your comments about dealers and technical service I also feel this is very poor and that they are all to happy to fob you off!

No matter what brand you choose there is always the chance of something like your problem happening unfortunatly!

We all as car owners should remember it could quite easily happen to our vehicles!

Michael.

Sorry it has ended up like this for you, and I hope you have better luck/technical service in future, As mentioned, your posts have been quite informative, so keep in touch and let us know how you get on, esp regarding the article. And i can say that I as, many others here, would be interested in some of your extra's.

Good luck

Edited by angrybeard

I actually like the hinged door on a high vehicle...you rarely have to open it all the way to put shopping and stuff in anyway. But the japanese interior is going to take some getting used to after a germanic one. LoL

I actually like the hinged door on a high vehicle...you rarely have to open it all the way to put shopping and stuff in anyway. But the japanese interior is going to take some getting used to after a germanic one. LoL

I agree on the interiors. I go to many a motor show and always find the Japanese interiors very patronising when you're used to German interiors. Things like the huge font they use suitable for near blind people. And then the cherry on the cake is the words ON OFF on the radio and AUTO on the windows that have one touch up and down... I mean really. Everyone knows how to do these things in a German car without the huge explicit white writing on all the buttons! But after a while you'll get used it I'm sure! I'm used to it on the MX-5 now, though at least it does not have the huge blind people font. Enjoy the Toyota. Pity to see you go.

The same way they used to have a badge on the boot to tell you it had ABS? Better than the Americans writing "Fuel Injection" down the side of the car in massive letters...

Ah those were the days. :)

The same way they used to have a badge on the boot to tell you it had ABS? Better than the Americans writing "Fuel Injection" down the side of the car in massive letters...

Ah those were the days. :)

Oh and don't forget 16V badges!!! :giggle:

Sorry to read this story and good luck to Carnivorous with his next car, and good luck to whoever buys his old one (perhaps Carnivorous should post its license plate number here for future reference!).

I have a friend from Germany staying here at the moment (I am German much as I hate to admit it), who spent many years in the automotive trade. He is absolutely gobsmacked at how things seem to work "over here". I am inclined to agree with him as I have found dealers in Germany to have technicians with vastly superior competence and technical knowledge, let alone dedication and efficiency. I suppose it's partly down to the British mentality of letting people get away with bloody murder before uttering so much as even a peep, whereas Germans simply won't stand for this kind of shoddy service and incompetence.

My dad's Audi once broke down while he was in England (he is based in Munich)....and after Audi had it for 6 days he rang his dealer in Germany, who promplty rang the dealer in England and said "have you tried this?". Twenty minutes later the car was fixed - needing zero parts, but not after they had replaced god knows how many random parts over the course of a week.

Does the German government have some sort of "trades license" for things like auto mechanics - I believe it does for trades like plumbers and electricians, who are also of a "variable quality" in the UK in my experience. This poor service is a failure at multiple levels:

- so-called mechanics who must have near-zero pride in their work

- so-called car company "management" who allow defective business processes to continue in their territory

and indeed

- so-called motoring journalists who don't campaign to improve the situation in this country

Having ranted the above, it is possibly something to do with our national psyche as mentioned above. So when an electrician bungled a light fitting in my house, I didn't phone him up to tear him off a strip, demand some redress, or complain about him to some trade body - I just fixed it myself. But with a ~£20K car, the situation is different...