vRS Oil Temperature - No Way

I have been following the postings about the Maxidot oil temperature readout on the Fabia II vRS with interest. Some owners seem to have it from day of car purchase, and others have been told it is not available.

My vRS was first registered in January 2011 and does not have this included in its Maxidot readouts. At a recent visit to my dealer I asked if it could be switched on. They reported that the option was not available on my menu, however, on further inspection they discovered that there was a temperature sensor in the oil sump.

The dealer then contacted Skoda who confirmed that indeed it is not an option on the model.

And there the investigation has stopped.

Whilst I can live with it I do find it extremely puzzling.

Have any other vRS owners had a similar situation?

Yep I had exactly the same situation and SUK said exactly the same. After months of badgering the dealer and tech1e's help they switched my car to variable servicing rather than fixed and surprise surprise it works!!

Edited by VRS-Powered

Mine was first registered 30/09/10 and it has the oil temperature display - really useful to have (I don't give it any beans until the temp hits about 70) - from my childhood I remember MGs and other cars having an oil temp gauge - don't know why this was dropped.

Ours is there but not switched on

Dealer told me only available on variable servicing cars!!

TBH..Rediculous!!

Is the mkII VRS the only Fabia that can have variable servicing then?

Hi, I've had the exact same problem and it does need to be activated from the dealer even though you may have selected it from maxidot. If it's not turned on from their computer, you will just be seeing "--.-" forever... So what I can tell you is:

1) The sensor is definitely there for the vRS model.

2) The indication can definitely be activated from the dealer.

The above mean that either SUK is telling you ^%&% or the dealer never bothered contacting them, something tells me its the 2nd one...

3) When I visited mine to ask for the activation, they found that there is a separate setting which activates oil temperature without having to switch from fixed to variable servicing and they did just that! I now have Oil Temp showing up as it should while the car is still in fixed servicing. So you should know that it works and that it just needs a little less lazy dealer to get it done...

All Fabias can run it, just not in the UK.

As been said many times in other threads it's can be done.

Thanks Tech1e.

I didn't think the regular Fabias had the sensor needed for the oil.

i have it (oil temp on maxidot that is) on both my vRS (Reg Mar 11 but built probably Nov/Dec 10) and the new Monte i picked up yesterday.

I think Auric is correct and you can turn it on/off yourself. To do this press and hold the bottom of the trip toggle switch, and i think you can get to the settings screen. Press the B button underneath the wiper stalk to select. To go back just press and hold the bottom of the toggle switch again. Sorry this is vague but i've only been in the menus a few times so i am not overly fmiliar with the process. Tech1e may have more info/experience though.

Your dealer should be able to do it quite simply once they get the car plugged in. I along with the dealers Tech set a number of other things yesterday on the Monte such as auto lock at 10 mph/15 kph, all unlock when you pull the key out of the ignition, single press of the remote to unlock all doors, and finally to make it give a little 'peep' when you lock the car (can also be set for unlock as well if you want).

Don't think there is much else that can be done though but and i can't think of anything else I'd want, but i bet there is :D .

I think Auric is correct and you can turn it on/off yourself.

If he has "Oil Temp" indication showing up, but the measurement is always "--.-" that means he has done everything that needs to be done from his side but the option is turned off "internally". I had tried resetting Maxidot settings, enabling/disabling the Oil Temp indication (from Maxidot) and I always had "--.-" showing up, even after hours of driving...

If he never even sees Oil Temp in his maxidot then yes it could be a maxidot setting but I understand he's already done that and still sees nothing but dashes, so in that case it needs to be activated from the dealers (or vcds I suppose)

If he has "Oil Temp" indication showing up, but the measurement is always "--.-" that means he has done everything that needs to be done from his side but the option is turned off "internally". I had tried resetting Maxidot settings, enabling/disabling the Oil Temp indication (from Maxidot) and I always had "--.-" showing up, even after hours of driving...

If he never even sees Oil Temp in his maxidot then yes it could be a maxidot setting but I understand he's already done that and still sees nothing but dashes, so in that case it needs to be activated from the dealers (or vcds I suppose)

I stand corrected. However in my defence no mention was made of the '---' being displayed and in the OP. Also from the time i started typing my response a load of others had been added that i did not see (i only saw up to Aurics).

I'll get my coat.

I stand corrected. However in my defence no mention was made of the '---' being displayed and in the OP. Also from the time i started typing my response a load of others had been added that i did not see (i only saw up to Aurics).

I'll get my coat.

I don't see the point of excusing! You said "I think" anyway...

From what I have been told if your car is set up for fixed millage servicing i.e. every 10,000 mile then the oil temp is on. If you are on variable service times then it is off.

Not sure if this is right but car is on a fixed service plan and the oil temp is switched on. It would be interesting to see what other people’s compare.

From what I have been told if your car is set up for fixed millage servicing i.e. every 10,000 mile then the oil temp is on. If you are on variable service times then it is off.

Not sure if this is right but car is on a fixed service plan and the oil temp is switched on. It would be interesting to see what other people’s compare.

I have seen this in different threads but it really seems idiotic for the temp not to be available on variable servicing. The oil temp readout has nothing to do with service interval, or am I missing something?

Also slightly different subject but I was playing around with the Anroid Torque App and my OBD2 device. Had a graph set to show up the oil temp, but didn't get anything even when maxidot was showing it well above 50 degrees C.

As I have explained many time in other threads on this ill explain again and expand a little.

There are two service regimes we use. Fixed and Variable.

Variable uses the sump sensor, it monitors the quality of the oil and adjusts the service interval as required. Seeing as this sensor monitors temperature on vehicles with the appropriate dash it can display it.

Fixed service, a sump sensor isn't required but many engines have one anyhow to monitor oil level etc but the temperature pick up is not connected to the dash cluster. This connection if possible just requires enabling the wiring etc is there.

In the dash cluster there is an option via self diagnosis to make the connection, it's called TOG.

Remember UK Fabias do NOT run variable servicing. However on other models that do such as the Yeti, Octavia and Superb they all leave factory set to variable, this naturally has the connection activated as it has oil quality monitoring. If one of these vehicles is set to fixed servicing it can default the oil quality to poor and thus turn the sensor off so you loose the temp display.

Basically any settings a dealer does should really be done in guided functions on our diagnostic machine, it's normally simple yes or no answers and the coding is done. This is the approved method by the factory. We can access self diagnosis which is more akin to the likes of VCDS and change it manually. The only thing is by turning service regime to fixed manually and then resetting the oil temp is it leaves the oil condition as poor, they are not sure if this is ok and if this will effect the service indicator, however as its set to fixed, I.e 10k or 12 months I think that's unlikely anyhow, oil condition is irrelevant.