Some advice please - Oil light, low coolant & thick cream on the oil filler cap

porlkertus

Hi All,

Hoping someone can give me some advice - I have a 2001 Fabia 1.4 16v on about 70k miles.

It started with the oil warning light coming on briefly - checked the oil level its ok.

Then the oil warning light started sticking on so I looked further and I noticed the coolant is very low and on removing the oil filler cap I found a thick creamy substance around the thread. I cant see any cream in the coolant reservoir.

Is this head gasket?

Thanks,

Porl.

If your coolant level's low and there's a creamy substance in the engine as well as the oil light on how can that be considered normal? I've only been a mechanic 22 years so what would I know but I wouldn't be taking it a long run to see if it clears wether it's a 1.4 or vrs. Your coolant's going into the sump that's why you're not getting gunk in the coolant tank.

Ok, worst case scenario is head gasket failure, but these engines are not prone to that.

Since oil pressure is significantly higher than water pressure then it's usually oil that ends up in the water rather than vice versa.

If the dipstick came out creamy then ok, but not just the filler cap, as I said mine has a creamy filler cap right now and does every year during frosty winters. Mine also slowly loses coolant, it's usually from the thermostat housing, but it definitely doesn't have any head gasket issues.

I know that for professional mechanics worst case scenarios pay best, I'm simply suggesting the problem may lie elsewhere.

There is a serious problem with the oil pressure or the oil pressure sender if the light is on and if you have got enough water in the oil to put the light on permanently the oil is not doing any sort of job at all. This needs checking immediately with the absolute minimum of driving. Driving the vehicle with the oil light on is a recipe for total disaster far beyond the cost of a head gasket replacement. Going for a brisk drive to boil off the mayonnaise on the cap is a quick way of totally wrecking the engine-a con rod through the side of the block is not a pretty sight, I know, I did it to a Mk2 Golf GTI.

There is a serious problem with the oil pressure or the oil pressure sender if the light is on and if you have got enough water in the oil to put the light on permanently the oil is not doing any sort of job at all. This needs checking immediately with the absolute minimum of driving. Driving the vehicle with the oil light on is a recipe for total disaster far beyond the cost of a head gasket replacement. Going for a brisk drive to boil off the mayonnaise on the cap is a quick way of totally wrecking the engine-a con rod through the side of the block is not a pretty sight, I know, I did it to a Mk2 Golf GTI.

Thank you :thumbup:

Pull the dipstick out and check that for traces of water coolant, if its down there 90% your headgasket, if its just on the top, clean it all off, and take it on a decent blast.

Is your car misfiring?

Could also be your oil cooler

Firstly, apologies for poorly describing the problem in the original post. It seems it wasn't the oil light but the coolant light that was coming on.

I got the car back this afternoon from my local independent. It turns out the coolant was being lost from where the temperature sensor fits into the radiator, tightening this up should have solved that issue.

As described by sepulchrave, my independent agrees that the emulsified oil around the filler cap is normal for this engine. Short runs and condensation mean mayonnaise.

Apologies for having been a dipstick and thanks for all the replies.

I was going to say - creamy gunk on the filler - condensation and short runs..heh. Same happens to the 8Valver Astras (all 3 of mine did/do it), and I've noticed our new 1.4MPi Fabia does it as well.

I also lose coolant on the Astra, but it looks to have a leak at the thermostat housing. Take you car for a long run (We did Wales and Back in the Astra), and the gunk will vanish.

I wish people would understand that just because there is a "mayo" type substance on the oil filler cap IT DOES NOT MEAN HEAD GASKET FAILURE!!!!.... :dull:

If there is a drop in coolant level always look for the leak!

As I have owned my car from new since Jan 2001.........I think I know this engine and they DO LEAK from the sensor half way down the rad on the passenger side, and they are NOT prone to head gasket failure...........thats the 1.4 8v MPI!!!!!

"sepulchrave" was just trying to point out the first easiest/cheapest ways to fix the problem........THEN IF YOU STILL HAVE THE PROBLEM get the head gasket checked!!!

But if you only drive the car gently and do short journeys in it then the engine will defo suffer from condensation and produce lots of "mayo".........mine doesn't.... :p .........But I "rally" it (once engine up to temp) and do a min of 15miles on "B" roads!!!........ :D