Naughty Me,3 Points? :-[

MarkMac

Was Just on my way to work this am when in a 50mph zone [it used to be a 60mph !] i spotted a police speed camera van lying in wait on the brow of a hill,i must have been doing about 57/58mph saw it and stamped on the brakes but im sure the camera will have already got me in that split second....oops naughty me ;-[ so that will be 3 points and a £60 fine im guessing?

Mark

Have you ever checked the speedo accuracy using a GPS receiver? With luck it will have been overreading by a few mph which could bring your speed within the 10% + 2mph leeway if that applies in this case.

You may just get away with nothing if you were doing 57-58mph in a 50mph zone. That is around the bordeline limit for getting a NIP.

If you get offered a speed awarenes course it costs £75 instead of the £60 fine but then you do not receive any points on your licence. The course lasts approx four hours and is held at numerous at different locations around the country. :thumbup:

Another cost factor is the question on your next insurance renewal- Have you had any convictions for speeding in the last 5 years? Guess it depends on insurer if or how much it adds. Double whammy for me when I got caught 7 yrs ago as I ride a ZX9R as well as drive a car.

As said, if you were doing 57(ish)mph on the speedo you may be fine.

Your car probably over reads by 2-5mph so you may not be enough over the limit for them to bother.

You'll just have to wait and see... good luck. :)

You might get away with it at that speed, I was caught doing 59 in a 50 - im waiting for a reply to see what they give me but everyone seems to think I'll get the awareness course as I was only 3mph over technically, if you don't hear anything by Monday the 6th of March you'll be ok :)

The speedo is out by around 3-4MPH at 50. ACPO guidance is to FPT at 57 in a 50 limit.

Putting those together your speedo would have to be nudging 60 or slightly over to be of interest.

IMO you "should" be OK. You were speeding however, so if Mr Plod is trying to make a point/have tea with the local school mums and OAPs/wheelchair NIMBYs, you may still get an FPT.

J.

I have a lovely photograph that I requested when I was done for 71 in a 60 - it's taken at 403 metres according to the imprinted info. At that distance you can't read the registration number - but you can on the follow-up one taken a few seconds afterwards - and see me driving!

I have a lovely photograph that I requested when I was done for 71 in a 60 - it's taken at 403 metres according to the imprinted info. At that distance you can't read the registration number - but you can on the follow-up one taken a few seconds afterwards - and see me driving!

Lovely those photos aren't they! all you could see was me breaking, I thought it was a 60 as well until I noticed the speed sign while going through the camera :(

I'd have made you go twice for having a pink car

I asked if I could do the course when I got copped for doing 96 on the M62, the answer was NO, £60+3 points

Pink? Think you need to stop doing that thing to yourself Goldfinger (as i know your ban is still on) your eyesight is going!

Oh and 96? I'd have banned you. :sun:

My mate got caught when he was 17, driving a group 12 car at that time so pretty high insurance, he got £60 and 3 points, told his insurance and it went up by a staggering £12 for that year. So you could be okay in that respect.

Concerning the photo's from the speed camera's I have been told that if you can clearly make out your face in the picture then it constitutes as taking a photo without your permission and can be deemed invalid. I've only ever heard of this working once and its from a fairly dubious source however someone with a legal background could perhaps shed some light on whether this is true or not. I can sort of see where the idea is coming from but sounds a bit like an urban legend, however thought it was worth mentioning.

Concerning the photo's from the speed camera's I have been told that if you can clearly make out your face in the picture then it constitutes as taking a photo without your permission and can be deemed invalid. I've only ever heard of this working once and its from a fairly dubious source however someone with a legal background could perhaps shed some light on whether this is true or not. I can sort of see where the idea is coming from but sounds a bit like an urban legend, however thought it was worth mentioning.

Sounds like an urban legend.

A road is very much a public place, and you can take photos of who and what you like in a public place :)

Scotland has (or had?) laws pertaining to the direction of travel when a speed camera takes your photo but not England, as for the ACPO *guidelines* they are exactly that, a guideline, 10% and + 1mph was the figure quoted but it's not law, it's just a suggestion on the margin of error that's permissible. Also GPS varies in accuracy relative to the curvature of the earth and altitude of any given point, just because it differs to your spedo doesn't make it right and your spedo wrong or vice versa, a spedo is a best guess with a safety margin built in by the manufacturer and can be affected by the driver fitting tyres/wheels of a different size along with the difference in circumference between a brand new tyre and one on the legal limit.

Oh and I feel your pain, they got me too for doing 38mph in what I believed was a 40mph zone. It made no difference to my insurance but I now have points which don't mean prizes :( If the new speed limit didn't have signs up informing you of a recent speed limit change then you've got a reasonable change of getting the case overturned on appeal, our local force knew a road was being changed from 40mph to 30mph overnight with no additional signs to warn of the change in speed limit so set up a camera van for the next week doing quite literally hundreds of people, eventually they were forced to drop all prosecutions and apologise.