actual MPG

hi guys

i am about to purchase myself a brand new octavia vrs but am torn between the dsg petrol or manual deisal, i was just wanting some info off you all on the MPG's your all getting esp motorway driving from either engines, all post on this is appreciated as i am quite torn and dont know which lol,

cheers guys

I would get low 40s in my cr and get low 30s in my tsi. Both were stage 1. If driven conservatively the tsi could easily do low 40s too. I drove from Newcastle to Blackpool last week and got 37 but was taking it steady.

IMO the increased performance of the tsi is worth it and I was disappointed with my cr [both in terms of performance and economy], but it depends what you want and how many miles you do and how important economy is to you.

Do 30k a year, covering anywhere south of Luton and average 55. If your easy on the accelerator getting up to 70 then high 50's

I did an easy run to Leicester, had to try and kill 30 minutes on the journey so sat just below 60 and averaged 72

Thrash it around and you'll get 40.

Have a vrs dsg diesel estate, still not really loose with 6000 miles. 70 mph on motorway with cruise control normally gets 50 - 54mpg depending on wind/weather.

TSI vRS I get 30+ on local trips and 40+ on long trips. I average 35 mpg and could get more if I didnt enjoy myself.

I'm the same, 35mpg average at the moment mostly A road and urban. Only got 4k miles on the engine so barely run in yet.

My CR vRS diesel averages (as indicated by maxidot though) 48-50mpg on the motorway and 42-44mpg locally but I don't hang around. If I drive like a priest I get anything upto 58mpg and 55mpg respectively. First figures are more realistic.

Regards

MY 09 CR Vrs DSG with 25k averages about 46-49 mpg on each tank. My usual drive is from Portsmouth to Witney and back with a few 1 mile journeys inbetween. This is with cruise set at 70mph for most of the way. I have just driven back from Telford to Portsmouth and averaged 57.7 mpg, again, cruise set at 70mph. My figures are not taken from maxi dot but are from working it out using fuel put in and miles covered so are acurate.

Hope this helps

less than 10k no way I would even think about diesel,put your foot down and you get 1 very small lump of power then its gone

It's close to 190bhp so not so small.

It's also not much slower than the TSI.

• Like 2

less than 10k no way I would even think about diesel,put your foot down and you get 1 very small lump of power then its gone

someone has never driven a cr then....

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

TFSi on a 56 and getting 23 even without thrashing it. In fact it doesn't seem to matter how I drive, it's pretty much the same.

Gonna get it checked out I think. Used to get 28-32........

2009 CR Vrs with 54k, i travel to work each day covering 20 miles returning 53 -55 mpg.

I did Blackpool to Lincoln last month and got 63 mpg.

On leave at the moment and just covering short town runs and still getting around 43 mpg.

• Like 1

Where is dislike button :think: the "lump" is very much there with the slightly lower BHP but massively higher torque. Driving style of the CR (especially stage 1) I liked better than the petrol but its a personal thing.

test drive both and see if one strikes you as better the combination of a DSG box in a petrol over a manual in a diesel might be enough to make you decide on its own but I still went for CR manual as I didn't like DSG personally and I didn't like the petrol.

See sig.

Typically 48MPG from a tank

Trips average 13 miles

Longer trips would see 54MPG easy if cruising at 60mph. Have had 58PMG on a run once

Shorter trips (10 miles and less) would get up to 50MPG

2.0 vRS CR 2010

It's close to 190bhp so not so small.

It's also not much slower than the TSI.

The cr is 168bhp or circa 205 remapped. In my opinion, and having owned both, the cr is a fair bit slower through the gears. In gear acceleration at motorway type speeds performance is comparable though.

My current commute is about 90 miles per day on a mix of dual carriageway, A road, B road and single track. Cruising at the speed limit I average 47mpg, 10mph slower I've managed over 60mpg but it's a bit boring. I find the on board computer reads about 4% high.

As with countless threads before about mpg it all depends on driving style and use etc. All other things being equal the diesel will do significantly more mpg as the figures in the brochure suggest. Against that it costs more (but probably will be worth more when it comes to sell).

Personally I get about 33-35mpg on the motorway out of my petrol. I would probably expect about 40-45 out of the diesel under similar use.

I picked up my Petrol TFSI (57 plate) last week and so far i'm happy with the fuel consumption, I reset the trip computer when I picked it up and at a steady 60-70 mph on the way home I was achieving 41-42mpg and in town I seem to be getting around 23mpg. Considering the 2.2 diesel Toyota Avensis (auto) I had before would only achieve a maximum of 37mpg even on a long run I am very happy indeed!

• Like 1

Not a VRS granted but my 1 month old 1.8 TSi Octavia has averaged 40mpg in just over 1000 miles

I did drive the VRS petrol and IMHO there did not seem much difference in everyday driving to warrant the extra dosh

TSi`s seem very cheap at the moment if you can find one that is!

I bought my vrs diesel new in august last year. I am averaging 52mpg. Most of my motorway drives at 70mph it will return between 54 to 59mpg, around town between 36 to 45mpg depending on traffic.

• 2 weeks later...

Had a couple of easy motorway runs the last two days: 380 miles and averaged 62. Just one way today I got 66.

This was through m1 roadworks, to and from the motorway, and sitting at 70mph.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk