Hello

Just looking for a few votes from the friendly people here on the below 2 cars

If you had the choice between :

1. 2010 Skoda Octavia Elegance 1.8 TSI Manual Hatchback

2. 2010 Skoda Octavia vRS 2.0 TDI Manual Hatchback

Which one would you choose and why ?

Annual mileage is the decision maker for me. At 25K a year it would have to be the diesel vRS.

However if I was doing less mileage I'd go for the petrol Elegance (the 1.8 TSI is much more sprightly than it sounds!), although I'd be putting on 17's!

Annual mileage is the decision maker for me. At 25K a year it would have to be the diesel vRS.

However if I was doing less mileage I'd go for the petrol Elegance (the 1.8 TSI is much more sprightly than it sounds!), although I'd be putting on 17's!

Have you driven the 1.8 TSI engine ?

What diesel car is it comparable to in terms of accleration ?

the VRS and remap it and 0-60 times .... when do you intend to put those to the test car wont last that long if its a daily intention.

ps most find far better stock 0-60 on the diesel vrs than published don't know if thats the case for the 1.8 petrol

the VRS and remap it and 0-60 times .... when do you intend to put those to the test car wont last that long if its a daily intention.

Hey, I don't understand what your saying here in the 2nd part

ps most find far better stock 0-60 on the diesel vrs than published don't know if thats the case for the 1.8 petrol

Are you saying that the real world 0-60 in the VRS is faster than what's quoted ?

The way fuel prices are going.. if you dont do the miles the TSi is streets ahead for a few reasons

No cambelt, no DPF or DMF problems (although the TSi does have a DMF its not under as much strain as the TD ones)

If you like the way the derv pulls then fine.... case closed

I drove both and the VRs is harder on the ride and dare I say it on most roads occasionally bone jarring on the skinny tyres.

I saved 5K and got virtually the same experience as the TD VRS

however this is only my opinion...

The way fuel prices are going.. if you dont do the miles the TSi is streets ahead for a few reasons

No cambelt, no DPF or DMF problems (although the TSi does have a DMF its not under as much strain as the TD ones)

If you like the way the derv pulls then fine.... case closed

I drove both and the VRs is harder on the ride and dare I say it on most roads occasionally bone jarring on the skinny tyres.

I saved 5K and got virtually the same experience as the TD VRS

however this is only my opinion...

Thanks 

I do 8000 miles a year ; ) 

I'm in Ireland and diesel is slightly cheaper than petrol but prices are getting very close now. 

Yeah, the dervs have a nice pull and I love that !

I have a Audi A3 2.0 TDI 138 BHP and I like the pull in that. 

But from this website, it seems the 1.8 tsi has good "pull" as well

Are you saying that the real world 0-60 in the VRS is faster than what's quoted ?

First bit was asking if the 1 second differenced in published stats for 0-60 really made a difference (whats a second of your time and car will not last if your trying to achieve this 0-60 time every day)

Also said the 0-60 times for the diesel VRS published at wrong anyway and lots of people get better results norm under 7 sec in them at santa etc. I dont know if the petrol one is quicker than its published times but tbh it could be the other way around. Saying as the diesel has a lot more torque and more bhp id think it hard.

As I said remap the diesel on top of all that you will get 205bhp safely and just under twice the torque of the 1.8 petrol and for me torque is where the pulling power is!

Much as I'm a diesel fan, for 8000 miles a year I'd probably go for petrol as there's quite a few horror stories of people having DPF issues when doing lots of short journies and never getting the system hot enough.

As for 0-60 times, a diesel usually looses out by needing to change gear sooner. Unless you intend to be racing everyone off the lights acceleration from higher speeds is more relevant in the real world, ie 30-50 and the like, which the diesels do very well..

Yes, see my 0-60 time in my sig. Launch Control and DSG help a lot though. I reckon this can be improved upon as i only had 2 runs down the qtr mile and it was only on a concrete surface so not the best.

With the diesel you are getting the in gear acceleration due to the massive amount of torque compared to the TSI. Day to Day the TDI is quicker everytime regardless of published figures which are always taken with a pinch of salt.

Edited by jrw
  • Like 1

I think you will find that driven hard the TSI will be quicker, however under lazy driving conditions the derv will be quicker.

A lot of people also quoting remapped against std, not a fair fight! compare like with like pls. Also IIRC the OP is not interested in remapping.

I think you will find that driven hard the TSI will be quicker, however under lazy driving conditions the derv will be quicker.

A lot of people also quoting remapped against std, not a fair fight! compare like with like pls. Also IIRC the OP is not interested in remapping.

Mine isn't mapped - totally standard.

I think you will find the 1.8 slower but nobody will prove it (ie lol).

Mine isn't mapped - totally standard.

I think you will find the 1.8 slower but nobody will prove it (ie lol).

not referring to you on remapping.

I think a jrw v lol santa pod run is well overdue!!!!!

not referring to you on remapping.

I think a jrw v lol santa pod run is well overdue!!!!!

Me too, i have offered it up many a time but always full of excuses......worried about something methinks.... :D :D :D

Thanks for that 999pooch. Yeah, no interest in re mapping, I suppose I should have said that in my opening post ; )

Me too, i have offered it up many a time but always full of excuses......worried about something methinks.... :D :D :D

haha. I'm sure I read that the 1.8TSI is being traded for a more 'economical' car, so probably won't happen (as if it ever would)!

haha. I'm sure I read that the 1.8TSI is being traded for a more 'economical' car, so probably won't happen (as if it ever would)!

Yes, a totally more economical car :giggle:

A Fabia VRS with a smaller tank than the octy.....a great choice for doing 1k miles a week :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: