Going backwards?

Brijo

I can't find any comment about the efficiency of the reversing light(s) on the Yeti. We have to reverse up a rather bent driveway and it isn't much fun in the dark. Are we talking brighter than a couple of glowworms, or what? Any help welcome!

The fogs come on when you select reverse for some reason, so at least you'll be able to see where you've been. :)

Reversing light is ok, but not brilliant by any means IMO.

The FRONT fogs come on as part of the cornering lights system.

Since reversing lights are fixed at 21w by Law it can only be the reflector shape that affects "visibility".

I've never found a problem, but then I do have rear parking sensors.

I have to reverse down a dark lane for about 30 yards to get into my parking area. One of my must have's on a car is two reverse lights or a centrally mounted one. I owned a Seat Altea that had just one mounted below the bumper on the nearside with a smoked lense, it was almost useless early Ford Focus were also bad.

I find the Yeti reverse lights excellent even with the privacy glass, helped also by the reversing sensors.

Thanks for all that. Useful info.

I've just found a good pic elsewhere here showing the Yeti with two reversing lights. 2 x 21w (thanks, Llanigraham!) = 42 w, which would be more than twice as good as the current XT's one-sided 21w (presumably), especially for the final kink between the brick corner and the scratchy hedge.

In my experience reversing light(s) are to warn other road users that you are about to reverse. I have never found them to be good enough to be able to SEE what you want, therefore reversing sensors are a necessity.

Fred

Yes, definitely poor in my opinion. I got stuck down a track this week and struggled to reverse out. My solution was to put on the brakes every few feet - the brake lights are brighter!

I suppose it proves how people see things in a different way, but I've never had a problem with them, and certainly no worse than my last two cars.

Instead of using your brake lights try turning the hazards or rear fogs on if they appear that bad.

This maybe a sledgehammer to crack a nut ......

.........., but how about getting an aftermarket fog light (H7 55W bulb) and mounting it below the lower edge of the rear bumper, where a towbar fitting might be, and wire it into the reversing lights, or better still have a direct feed with a manual switch.

You'll then have a good bright flat beam to illuminate behind you.

This maybe a sledgehammer to crack a nut ......

But it's a bloody good idea. My other half's Kia Sorento (which started out with 2x 18w reversing lights which with privacy glass, it was difficult to see if they were on)

img0268f.jpg

.........., but how about getting an aftermarket fog light (H7 55W bulb) and mounting it below the lower edge of the rear bumper, where a towbar fitting might be, and wire it into the reversing lights, or better still have a direct feed with a manual switch..

I've used an old aftermarket foglight in the (distant) past for that. But wouldn't the Cambus complain if an extra load was put through the wiring system?

Wonder if there are more efficient 21W bulbs that could be used?

I've used an old aftermarket foglight in the (distant) past for that. But wouldn't the Cambus complain if an extra load was put through the wiring system?

Wonder if there are more efficient 21W bulbs that could be used?

it would depend on how you wire it?

If you were to wire it through a relay then I wouldn't have thought it would affect the canbus as the current draw to operate a relay is tiny and the main current for the light would be drawn through a separate fused wire running from the battery or fuse box.

Ian