Sick and tired of Skoda in Manchester!

Right, I can't decide if I'm loosing faith in Skoda Manchester or the car!

I've had my car about 1 year now and have taken it back to Skoda in Manchester for a major service and MOT. They have advised me of the following:

1. both upper and lower turbo seals need replacing

2. coolant fluid recommended for changing

3. n/s outer cv boot needs replacing

Firstly, the turbo seals were replaced by Skoda last March, so I've managed to get them sorted under warranty. My only doubt now is the fact they were only changed 12 months ago, so will this keep happening?!

Secondly, the coolant fluid doesn't need changing as the header tank and coolant were changed by Skoda Bolton November 2011.

Finally, they've advised me that the n/s outer cv boot needs replacing as it's split slightly and may fail the MOT! They want £135 for this (supplied and fitted).

As you can imagine, I'm extremely annoyed with Skoda in Manchester, but am starting to feel down about owning a Skoda! Before owning the Fabia, I've been a Ford man since I started driving 12 years ago and never really had any issues like these, especially within a twelve month period.

Am I just unlucky and that everything has started going wrong with the car or are Skoda Manchester trying to pull the wool over my eyes?

Sorry to rant and rave, I'm just sick and tired of all this!! :sweat:

Well, I would certainly get the CV boot changed asap before it splits more and sprays grease everywhere and gets muck into the CV. Find a decent independent to do it if you don't like their price. The coolant shouldn't need doing at all as it should have G12 fluid in. I'm not qualified to talk about turbo seals but they don't appear to come up on here much.

Skoda dealers are ****e threw and threw mate I had the same problem they wanna charge an arm and leg for everything the turbos can be a bit Iffy but if you extend your warranty you'll have no problems and as far as the little nik bits you can buy from any motor spare shop cheap as chips eg my regulator went on my window last week ( the passenger window fell out ) I went to skoda he wanted 170 just for the part and he just kinda shrugged his shoulders **** !! I managed to get the whole regulator and door panel all fitted to gether for 55 how the got 170 I don't no but don't lose faith in your skoda mate you can't beat them there great fun cheap as chips to insure and tax and if your really brave you can remapp them with some out standing results .

Recommendation on coolant is based on age/mileage, they remind you because the system reminds them, they aten't psychic so give them the benefit of the doubt for not checking your service book. Turbo seals are warranty so great they pointed it out while you're under warranty, i'd be grateful. CV boot is a few quid for a universal but not a quick job. The last CV boot I did was a shaft out job on a meganne but the wheel bearing was knackered as we're the driveshaft seals so I needed to do the gearbox fluid as well, at dealer rates that's probably the going rate but an Indy should be able to do it for a lot less.

Non of the above is a 'woe is me/my car/dealer' event.

vRSvurgin29 if you ask a dealer for the price of a new part they'll give you the price for the part you asked for. In your case you more than likely only needed the fix kit so it would have been significantly cheaper, without looking at it the dealer wouldn't know so how are they at fault?

I'm no dealer fanboy but some of the 'issues' people have are pretty minor in the overall scheme of things, try having the dealer change your pads, discs and fluid and suffering total brake fluid within 15 miles writing off another vheicle in the process then a 4 year legal battle followed by your insurance company dropping it and admitting liability as it's cheaper.

I'm no dealer fanboy but some of the 'issues' people have are pretty minor in the overall scheme of things, try having the dealer change your pads, discs and fluid and suffering total brake fluid within 15 miles writing off another vheicle in the process then a 4 year legal battle followed by your insurance company dropping it and admitting liability as it's cheaper.

Yeah To be honest you (OP) dont really have a lot to complain about, try some in London you'd be really pi$$ed!

Had my turbo explode on the garage forecourt after a service, once that was finally fixed i get the car back (after deathtrap courtesy car) to find the wheel bearings whining away where they hadn't before the service, I thought they were swapping my parts for ones on another vrs they had in, told them so & magically the wheel bearings were fine again, 3 months later I take car in for new tyres & the fitter tells me the bushes needed replacing after i had paid for them to be replaced during the service :S never been back to a main dealer in London.

Gave up on skoda dealers but never gave up on the car :)

Edited by pieman[vrs]

Well, I have the Fabs back with an MOT pass! The CV Boot was just an advisory, so I'll be getting that sorted next week (by my local garage obviously).

After complaining about things at Skoda in Manchester, they stripped and cleaned my o/s rear caliper as it was sticky and gave me 25% of my major service as a goodwill gesture. So, I've got to say they've turned my experience around!

Anyway I do feel better now about things. When I got back into the car, it feels a great car to drive which put a smile back on my face!!

Thanks all for your comments and apologies for moaning :thumbup:

alex lawrie wanted £115 from me for the same boot IIRC, the part is only £10-£15 and the shaft doesnt even need to come off, the joint splits off at the end, got it done at work

• 2 weeks later...