Alternative to Snow Foam (hosepipe ban)

hpoom

With my new car ready for collection any day now, and also with a Birthday coming up soon, I was going to ask for a Snow Foam gun from my wife. Issue now is it looks like we are getting a hosepipe ban here in Kent so Snow Foam and the pressure washer will be useless.

So my question to those more in the know then me, is what should be on my Birthday list?

My requrements for products are:

• Clean the car quickly
  • Minimal effort
  • Car looks as clean as it was new after it is washed.

I am looking for a list of products, eg 2 buckets, mitt, shampoo etc that I would need to get my car looking brand new with minimal effort.

What products would people suggest, which mitt, which shampoo, should I uses a shampoo without wax and then wax and polish the car seperatly. If somebody could give me a shopping list I would be very happy. I really need products that would be hastle free and quick as I am lazy. Is self drying shampoo any good?

Thanks in advance!

If there is a hosepipe ban, i would avoid washing the car. Leaving it dirty will be better than covering it in swirls.

We seem to be ok, so I will be charging cheap rates for my Karcher ;)

Same here!

If there is a hosepipe ban, i would avoid washing the car. Leaving it dirty will be better than covering it in swirls.

Swirls is what I would like to avoid, but with something other then snow foam.

Swirls is what I would like to avoid, but with something other then snow foam.

I wouldn't risk it. Unless you can rinse the car off before washing to remove dust then i don't really see how you could avoid them. I certainly wouldn't trust these waterless washes.

I wouldn't risk it. Unless you can rinse the car off before washing to remove dust then i don't really see how you could avoid them. I certainly wouldn't trust these waterless washes.

So the question then is, how can I rinse the car off with a bucket of water (or many). And if that is achievable then what products should I use once the car is rinsed.

I am looking for a list of products, eg 2 buckets, mitt, shampoo etc that I would need to get my car looking brand new with minimal effort.

What products would people suggest, which mitt, which shampoo, should I uses a shampoo without wax and then wax and polish the car seperatly. If somebody could give me a shopping list I would be very happy. I really need products that would be hastle free and quick as I am lazy. Is self drying shampoo any good?

Thanks in advance!

Basically what i use is (minus the snow foam):

Lambswool wash mitt

Meguiars Gold Class or NXT Wash

Meguiars wheel brightner

Meguiars All Purpose Cleaner (believe Tesco Daisy APC does the same)...but you wont need this for a while on a new car

Meguiars Glass Cleaner

Meguairs Last Touch Quick Detailer (spray on after rinsing as a drying aid and protectant for a weekly wash)

Fluffy/microfibre/waffle weave drying towel

For preserving the paint finish:

Poorboys Black Hole Glaze or Auto Glym SRP

Auto Glym Extra Gloss Protection

Collinite 476s wax

Then finally Meguairs Tire Gel for the tyres.

I have loads of other stuff too but this is a list for weekly washing and quarterly or bi annual polish/wax. The Collinite lasts forever on a well polished and sealed surface.

Basically what i use is (minus the snow foam):

Lambswool wash mitt

Meguiars Gold Class or NXT Wash

Meguiars wheel brightner

Meguiars All Purpose Cleaner (believe Tesco Daisy APC does the same)...but you wont need this for a while on a new car

Meguiars Glass Cleaner

Meguairs Last Touch Quick Detailer (spray on after rinsing as a drying aid and protectant for a weekly wash)

Fluffy/microfibre/waffle weave drying towel

For preserving the paint finish:

Poorboys Black Hole Glaze or Auto Glym SRP

Auto Glym Extra Gloss Protection

Collinite 476s wax

Then finally Meguairs Tire Gel for the tyres.

I have loads of other stuff too but this is a list for weekly washing and quarterly or bi annual polish/wax. The Collinite lasts forever on a well polished and sealed surface.

Thanks a lot

may be worth investing in some optimum no rinse car wash.

Directions:

Add 1 oz. of Optimum No Rinse to 1-2 gallons of water to make a no rise car wash. Soak Optimum Xtra Large Microfiber Towel in the wash bucket. Wash one car panel. Soak the towel in the wash bucket again and do another panel till the entire vehicle is washed. Use a fresh Xtra plush Microfiber Towel to dry the car. You can also dry and wax your vehicle by spraying Optimum Car wax on each panel as you are drying it.

Add 1 ounce to wash water made with your regular car wash. No Rinse Wash & Shine's advanced polymers and lubricants offer more surface protection and slickness than ordinary car soap alone. It acts as a water softener and conditioner to improve the quality of the water that touches your vehicle to provide the ultimate safe wash.

Add 2 ounces of No Rinse Wash & Shine to a gallon of water to make a super-slick clay bar lubricant. Wet the surface of your vehicle to provide a slippery protective layer beneath your clay. After you've clayed each section, simply wipe it dry. This solution is as effective as any clay lubricant you can buy!

Add 6 ounces of No Rinse Wash & Shine to a gallon of water to make an excellent quick detailer. Fill up a spray bottle with this mixture and use it to clean and shine your vehicle, just as you would use a traditional detailer. The proprietary polymers bond to the paint surface to protect it from abrasion and micro-marring as you clean. The incredible formula leaves your vehicle extremely slick and glossy, like you just applied wax

I invested in some ONR myself last month for similar reasons to you. I'm in Kent and wanted to do my bit to save water. I was sceptical about ONR but having now used it a couple of times I am a convert. :thumbup:

I would recommend getting some ONR and a decent sponge as it doesn't work as well with a sheepskin mitt. I went for a Dodo Juice Supernatural sponge. I also invested in a hand-held pump garden sprayer from B & Q that I use to spray a mist of ONR onto each panel before I wash it to help loosen up any dirt (a bit like snow foam)

If you still have a bit of cash left over then how about some Gtecniq C5 Wheel Armour? Like Baker I have been testing this for a few months now. It is great stuff and works well with a rinse-less wash like ONR as brake dust can be a pain to get rid of without a lot of washing.

Get yourself a water butt and fill it up before the ban ;)...

Or better still get an IBC. They hold 1000l and can be had for about £30. There are always plenty on eBay. If you really want to wind up the neighbours, put a pump in it and water the garden with a hosepipe :) 

I am put off lambswool. I have the gtechnique one and it has done nothing better than put micro scratches in the paint. Currently correcting the paint because of it.

• 1 month later...

I've invested in some citrus de-greaser and a nice new sprayer, I'll see how it goes. I'm in Kent and am missing my snow foam and karcher washer..... :@

I've invested in some citrus de-greaser and a nice new sprayer, I'll see how it goes. I'm in Kent and am missing my snow foam and karcher washer..... :@

You can use the Karcher with a bucket of water - you don't need mains pressure.

You can use the Karcher with a bucket of water - you don't need mains pressure.

Hand on heart I never knew that!!! Must give it a try!!

I'm pretty sure you can use Karchers from Water Butts too, it's in the adverts and gets round the ban.

I'll continue to use my hose :giggle: