Eurotunnel height clearance

rayaring

I take delivery of my new Yeti in a couple of weeks and then head off for France via eurotunnel.

My wife has reminded me that at the Folkstone eurotunnel complex there is a low horizontal bar you have to drive under before loading onto the train that determines if you are a high vehicle or not.

Even when driving under it in our present Peugeot 406 estate the bar looks perilously low.

Will a Yeti, with just the standard roof rails and without a roof rack, be able to pass under this bar?

Edited by rayaring

I would imagine that the Yeti will have NO problem whatsoever. :)

Its vehicles like Range Rovers that are much taller that will have difficulties.

Never been on Eurostar myself so other than this, I've NO idea, sorry.

Hope you have a GREAT trip though Lyes:

Look at tbe Eurotunnel FAQ to check the latest information http://www.eurotunnel.com/uk/FAQ/

'Cars' up to 1.85m are their 'basic' category, although vehicles with heights above that also accepted. You state what your vehicle is when you apply for a ticket.

As the standard Yeti is shown in the Jan 2012 brochure with a height of 1.691m you should be fine.

I have used Eurotunnel but so far not with a Yeti, so as a pessimist I'd also hope someone who's actually done it would reply!

The bar looks low, even in a normal car yet if you were to get out and look the clearance is actually quiet a lot. My Superb drove under them with no problem, even the long radio aerial on the roof missed the cross bar. When you drive onto the train you'll see car a lot bigger than the Yeti in the standard carriages, and these have all been under the same bar.

The Yeti is 1691mm tall, and the bar is set at just over 1850mm, so thats nearly a foot above the yet.

I have used Eurotunnel with my yeti and it does go under the bar, however if you have a roof box on you pick high vehicle when you book and they put you in the high carriages. I've been across normal and high and paid no extra on the price

I have used Eurotunnel with my yeti and it does go under the bar, however if you have a roof box on you pick high vehicle when you book and they put you in the high carriages. I've been across normal and high and paid no extra on the price

Thank you for that reassuring information!

Yes tick the roof box option and you go a a van in the double height cars, rather than the standard double deck carriages. Thats our experience last year when we took the Yeti across with a soft box on the roof.

TP

We've just come back from France using Eurotunnel, and I can also confirm that a standard roof bar equipped Yeti fits under the bar (except for the aerial and that doesn't count!)

Skoddy is parked next to my Peugeot Partner and is much lower. The Peugeot goes through with no problem and there only seems to be an inch or so difference in the height of the aerials.

Maybe the short VW one is within limits.

Thread drift. Has anyone got a combined nav/radio sharkfin?

Haven't taken a Yeti through the tunnel but have been into car parks that have bars of varying heights across the entrance. The panoroof is very useful here: you can see exactly how much clearance you've got throughout the process.