Having to insure loan car, whats your dealers position on this?

markrh

My Yeti has got to go in for a service soon but also has lots of problems to sort out, strange noises from the 1.2 petrol engine (timing belt slipping possibly), dsg box acting up (??), noisy brakes, noise from front end on right hand turns, boot light... :think:

So I thought it might be in for more than one day so better get a loan car only to be told i need full comp cover off my own insurance for it. In all my years of new car ownership i've never been asked for this, not impressed at all. Is this standard Skoda dealership service? I know its a minor thing really but its a pain i could do without,

Mark.

The different dealers are all franchises and have their own policies independent of Skoda UK. Some charge a small amount to cover you on their policy, some will provide the car free of charge but with a large insurance excess, whiilst others require you to insure the car yourself.

Easiest way is to use something like dayinsure.co.uk , quiet cheap for normal cars but you'll need to know the reg number of the car in advance or sort it out at the dealer before driving away.

Not just Skoda that does this. Ford garages I've used do as well, but the company policy covers our cars and any loaned to the company so that covered it.

Some will levy a fee or instead of the insurance demands. Anything upto £25/day isnt unheard of. Local ford garages started limiting mileage to 50 miles, and charging 50p a mile excess as well so I had to start hiring cars as I do 100's of miles a day.

Some garages will give you a car for warranty work FOC, but charge for a service loaner. After all it does cost them to run a fleet of loan cars.

This is just plain out of order. My wife has the same problem with her Suzuki dealer - but she just rings her insurance company and asks them to cover her on the dealership's car for the day/2 days/etc. instead. They do this free of charge, but your insurance company may not. Worth a try.

Mine, two days ago, said free car for the day (Annual Service)...but £500 damage excess and they take CC details and make a dummy transaction which is cancelled upon safe return. Alternatively they'd collect and deliver (6 miles each way) without charge........(or should that be, without charging more than they already do).........(or should that be, the charge is already included in the Service).

It is quite common across lots of manufacturers/dealers/bodyshops so I don't see how you can blame Skoda for this.

I'm lucky in the my insurance from LV Frizzell actually covers me fully comp for a loan car in these circumstances. It even has the relevant paragraph on my insurance document.

Skoda Insurance policies cover you for driving a courtesy car provided by your dealer.

Allams also give you the option of paying a small fee and having no excess, or no fee and large excess, or use your own if you are covered, and they ask if you have Skoda insurance as they know it covers you.

lLlanigraham, it isn't about blame, more to do with policy of the dealers, Other dealers i've dealt with, BMW, Citroen, Renault, Porshe (indy garage) haven't asked for me to do this.

I wouldn't be asking for the loan car if it was only off the road for a day but with all the faults on the car, some of which are quite serious I think its likely to run to a few days.

IMHO if your car is undergoing warranty work then the dealer should give you a loan car and insurance cover FOC.

After all it is potentially the manufacturers fault that you need the car in the first place.

I know the dealer is possibly a franchise but they represent Skoda.

IMHO if your car is undergoing warranty work then the dealer should give you a loan car and insurance cover FOC.

After all it is potentially the manufacturers fault that you need the car in the first place.

I know the dealer is possibly a franchise but they represent Skoda.

This is the experience I have had in the past with Nissan, If it's under a manufacturer's guarantee and there is a fault you get the loan car with insurance free, if it's a service, or not under guarantee you have to pay for the insurance on the loan car. This makes sense to me, why should you be out of pocket when you have paid for the warranty under the purchase cost.

I'm lucky, my dealer supplies FOC. but i normally book mine in for a 1st thing service and sit and wait, or annoy the sales and parts guys, take the demo's out. etc.

As you can tell i have a very good dealer, and always made welcome, with free coffee.

I'm lucky, my dealer supplies FOC. but i normally book mine in for a 1st thing service and sit and wait, or annoy the sales and parts guys, take the demo's out. etc.

As you can tell i have a very good dealer, and always made welcome, with free coffee.

Will you tell any of us fellow Kentish folk which dealer it is!!! Not that I have had a problem with mine, other than not hearing from them since i got my Yeti

Will you tell any of us fellow Kentish folk which dealer it is!!! Not that I have had a problem with mine, other than not hearing from them since i got my Yeti

Sherlodge Garage, in Gillingham

If you have fully comp insurance for your own car it may be worth checking what it covers. I'm with LV and have noticed that it covers me to use the loan car from a garage when mine is in for work. T&C's are almost the same as my own car. this may be standard in most policies beacause I did not select this option.

However my Volvo dealer does not charge me for insurance but I have to sign saying i will pay firts £500 of any claim.