How good is the traction control in snow and ice?

Has anyone driven the vRS is heavy snow and ice like we had a few years ago.

How did it go? How did the traction control cope?

Sounds odd question for this time of the year but Im interested how it manages.

Thanks

Crap, but I did have summer tyres on, if you are really stuck after a while it gives up and flashes, but is ok again after 15 mins, to be fair some idiot had parked too close in front of me in a car park, we had 2 foot overnight so had to do a zillion point turn , or have a helecopter winch the car out! :giggle:

That's helpful if it gives up :)

Was hoping for something like the lamborghini they tested on fifth gear where they tried to give it the beans and it just said no. I guess that's why they cost 100k more lol

How do you get the TC off but leave ESP on? Don't plan to any time soon though as I'm only picking it up tomorrow. Can't wait.

Edited by dany2010

It probably won't have ESP - I'm just saying from a general point of view. The ASR traction control is very, very simple - if it detects wheel slip, it cuts the power, which can mean you sit there in snow because the ASR won't let the wheels turn :rofl:

ASR is pretty good in anything but snow.

Best to turn it off as I found it cuts in much too soon and you loose momentum.

ASR didn't kick in once for me in the snow in January, had about 10inches of snow round the car... Mine isn't sensitive at all, never kicks in at full throttle on a dry day either, car just pulls :-)

ASR didn't kick in once for me in the snow in January, had about 10inches of snow round the car... Mine isn't sensitive at all, never kicks in at full throttle on a dry day either, car just pulls :-)

it's either broken or you're not trying hard enough :)

• Like 3

ESP FTW :thumbup:

If that kicks in then you know you're going a bit mad.

It's saved my car from spinning on at least 4 occasions in the

time I've had it. Twice in icy conditions and twice in the wet.

ESP also incorporates EDL which helps a bit with unfavourable

icy conditions and getting the power down.

• Like 1

I find mine not good in snow/ice. Tyres are too wide, suspension a tad stiff (mine's not standard) and the engine too torquey. Plus the steerings muted.

I had fun in snow in my AX GT, I crap myself in snow in the VRS. At the least it needs narrower winter tyres IMO.

J.

Has anyone driven the vRS is heavy snow and ice like we had a few years ago.

How did it go? How did the traction control cope?

Sounds odd question for this time of the year but Im interested how it manages.

Thanks

Crap with summer tyres but a lot better with narrower winters. Had to turn it off when going up some hills with the summers but in sheet ice it was fine with winters as the ultimate grip is better due to the softer compound rubber and sipes.

Had terrible problems with my Mk5 Golf Gti equiped with ESP and snow, it was good for keep you in a straight line, cornering and pulling away but it wouldn't stop when braking downhill on fresh snow. Just tobogganed away firing the ESP randomly until I switched it off and a wedge of snow build up in front of the tyres and it stopped. Saved my from the barrier on several other occasions though.

Edited by djdazzy

A couple of winters ago, before I got steelies and winter tyres, I got caught out, was away from home and a lot of snow fell, getting home with wife's Polo fitted with 195/55 X 15 Michelin Pilot Primacy(s) was proving tricky, on final hill on road leading up to our house the car just would not keep going, ESP on or off, so in desperation I left it switched on and the car started moving okay, but one word of warning, with ESP etc, the throttle gets limited as and you really need to keep your throttle foot planted - if you don't, and I didn't, when the ESP gets the car under control, it will pass the actual throttle setting back to whatever position you are demanding. Now, I was trying to "aid" the ESP so was trying to have the throttle set "lightly" so when control was passed back to the pedal, the car stalled! The comments about ESP etc working intermittantly or so is due to the system needing to protect the brakes from overheating - so it only helps for so long, then is inactive to let the brakes cool down, there is no thermal monotoring of the brakes so this system works on the worse possible scenerio. Winter tyres, and narrower than normal winter tyres are best for snow/ice etc.

Just got my car. It's fantastic.

Just been reading the manual and it says to turn it all off in the snow to give a bit of slip. Will be leaving it on the rest of the time. I see it lighting up when giving it a bit of power. Would wheel spin everywhere.