Water availability in the UK

heresmo

Hi

Not wishing to hijack Des's thread, I was interested in Laurence's comment:

Always amazes me how lush things are by hotels with the irrigation etc.Same in most hot holiday destinations.

How come rainy UK always goes into panic mode over 'drought' and talks hosepipe bans if we have two days of sun :confused:

I noticed in Tenerife that the "grass" is really mini cactus - i.e. very thick and able to hold water - which does indeed look lush and green, but feels like Astroturf if you walk on it - or maybe it is Astroturf :rubchin: :D

Water shortage is reservoir-size isn't it? There was much discussion IIRC about transferring water from one to another, but as this would upset the natural ecological environment of the receiving reservoir, it would have a significant effect on the quality of the water (not to mention the wildlife etc).

It doesn't seem that difficult IMO to build more reservoirs if areas are reliant upon rain-water, but heck running out of water is a totally new phenomenon after all :rolleyes:

Just wondering, I guess like Laurence, what you all think.

Regards

Mo

Hi

Not wishing to hijack Des's thread' date=' I was interested in Laurence's comment:

[i']Always amazes me how lush things are by hotels with the irrigation etc.Same in most hot holiday destinations.

How come rainy UK always goes into panic mode over 'drought' and talks hosepipe bans if we have two days of sun :confused:[/i]

I noticed in Tenerife that the "grass" is really mini cactus - i.e. very thick and able to hold water - which does indeed look lush and green, but feels like Astroturf if you walk on it - or maybe it is Astroturf :rubchin: :D

Water shortage is reservoir-size isn't it? There was much discussion IIRC about transferring water from one to another, but as this would upset the natural ecological environment of the receiving reservoir, it would have a significant effect on the quality of the water (not to mention the wildlife etc).

It doesn't seem that difficult IMO to build more reservoirs if areas are reliant upon rain-water, but heck running out of water is a totally new phenomenon after all :rolleyes:

Just wondering, I guess like Laurence, what you all think.

Regards

Mo

United Utilities pump water from resesvoir to resesvoir. In times of shortage they also have the ability to apply for permission to remove water from rivers.

I presume the Southern water companies have this ability too.

United Utilities pump water from resesvoir to resesvoir. In times of shortage they also have the ability to apply for permission to remove water from rivers.

I presume the Southern water companies have this ability too.

Thanks Andy, didn't know that. Does the Utility Co explain why no more reservoirs, or just happy to survive as is? It still sounds problematic to me given climates changing - like what happens if they all dry up? (Including profits and investment drying up if not enough rain.)

Apparently they are seriously considering reducing water pressure across London so that we will all have to run around in the shower. Still, wouldn't be the first time I'd personally run around in circles...

I think most of London water is recycled though, so maybe people here are drinking less beer :eek: hint hint!

Regards

Mo

I think most of London water is recycled though' date=' so maybe people here are drinking less beer :eek: hint hint!

Regards

Mo[/quote']

I remember doing a tour of a water treatment plant in London years ago and being told that the water in your glass IS recycled and has been through at least seven people by the time you drink it :eek:

And people wonder why I drink alcohol :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Ps: we have plenty of water in Cumbria and if it means we don't have to pay water bills we can pipe some down to you :cool:

I think like oil, gas and coal water may well become a very tradeable commodity in the not too distant future...........

PPs: I remember my late father telling me in the early 70's that one day we'd all be paying for water........ oh how we laughed :rofl::rofl::rofl:

If the water companies wanted too they could use the canels to send water from north to south(they would have to clean them up) but they would rather put the price up and cut the pressure so people in high rise flate would have to have a water pump.

Wol

I remember doing a tour of a water treatment plant in London years ago and being told that the water in your glass IS recycled and has been through at least seven people by the time you drink it :eek:

And people wonder why I drink alcohol :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Ps: we have plenty of water in Cumbria and if it means we don't have to pay water bills we can pipe some down to you :cool:

I think like oil' date=' gas and coal water may well become a very tradeable commodity in the not too distant future...........

PPs: I remember my late father telling me in the early 70's that one day we'd all be paying for water........ oh how we laughed :rofl::rofl::rofl:[/quote']

Hi Stan

Re-cycling-wise, I always remember it being 12 times, so things must be looking up if it's only seven times now :thumbup: Though with evaporation and hopefully some new input (don't even ask, think rainwater), I haven't a clue how they measure these numbers of cycles.

Apparently the finally stage of the natural cleansing process is to pass the water through reed-beds (as a natural anti-bacterial), so I guess we need more reed-beds in London rather than reservoirs. Food for thought methinks, preferably to ponder with a G&T...

Finally, isn't that why we used to have public utilities so that money was not required to be drawn off for shareholders and each person wherever could expect a reasonable level of fundamentals needs being met? That one, I just throw into the air.

Tradeable? You mean from our council tax we might have to pay consultants and lawyers fees as well as necessary technicians' fees and I guess some bureaucracy fees?

:weeping: (adds to the water supply)

LOL

Mo

I understand Southern Water " Import " water from France via pipes in the Channel Tunnel

Hi

I really don't know, so must rush off and do research... Are you saying this as fact? There is more rainfall in France? :confused: (Evian I don't believe that one, though accepted there might be more mountain streams...)

Silly, but just wondering if you are thinking of the much vaunted Guinness pipeline from NI to the UK... :)

Mo

Errrrh???

wasn't it Perrier or Evian water that at one time contained more benzene than unleaded petrol??? :eek:

And imagine drinking water passed by a Frog :eek: :eek: :eek:

Nope, I'll stick to alcyhool, fank yoo :rofl::rofl::rofl:

If the water companies wanted too they could use the canels to send water from north to south(they would have to clean them up) but they would rather put the price up and cut the pressure so people in high rise flate would have to have a water pump.

Wol

Hi Wol

For what it's worth, I don't think this will happen about water reductions requiring water pumps, if the cost of such pumps quoted are anything to go by. There is already too much of an outcry and at the moment, the media is emphasising the outcry.

It seems to me that we have a best and worst scenario: Best is they will scrap this and realise that sufficient water is a "necessary" for life and hygiene safety - far reaching IMO.

Or, the reported plan will be scrapped, but water will be reduced fraction by fraction so we complain about water pressure without realising what "they" are doing. It's at that time we're glad to have a free press and investigative journalists.

I guess we watch this space. My two cents.

Best

Mo

Hi

I really don't know' date=' so must rush off and do research... Are you saying this as fact? There is more rainfall in France? :confused: (Evian I don't believe that one, though accepted there might be more mountain streams...)

Silly, but just wondering if you are thinking of the much vaunted Guinness pipeline from NI to the UK... :)

Mo[/quote']

I think southern water is owned /Part owned by a French Company and are cabable of moving Water through the Tunnel.

I'm not convinced by all the water shortage talk:

there has been a report recently that one of our local reserviors has been allowed to silt up so its and got 1/2 capacity anyway so when it does rain it wont have the capacity

as well as that - if the cpmpanies caused a panic and everybody cuts back on water use....the companies have to treat less water....which costs them less........more money for the shareholders.......or is it me thinking its all exagerated?

Thanks Andy' date=' didn't know that. Does the Utility Co explain why no more reservoirs, or just happy to survive as is? It still sounds problematic to me given climates changing - like what happens if they all dry up? (Including profits and investment drying up if not enough rain.)

Apparently they are seriously considering reducing water pressure across London so that we will all have to run around in the shower. Still, wouldn't be the first time I'd personally run around in circles...

I think most of London water is recycled though, so maybe people here are drinking less beer :eek: hint hint!

Regards

Mo[/quote']

United Utlilities has no need for more reservoirs.

I think one of the problems these days to building new ones is all the objections they would receive. In the olden days people just accepted the need and put up with moving house and seeing their village flooded.

If I get chance today I'll have a look at our dataloggers and see how much water we have in the North West.

In foreign countries you often find that the water in the mains isn't fully treated, whereas ours is all suitable for drinking -this is why it's so cheap over there, and it's used willy nilly. If you pass through the military districts in Cyprus, you see signs by the playing fields saying, "this field is watered with treated sewage"!

Water has to be pumped through the Channel Tunnel for cooling purposes -the friction of the train passing through would otherwise raise the temperature to 80 degrees Centigrade in there!

Phil

Both Mid-Kent Water and Southern Water have been all over the press explaining that there will be water shortages during this summer in Kent - and the first hose pipe bans have already started. The explanations that has been given is that there was so little rainfall during the winter that the main reservoirs are half empty already - seen the pictures on telly and it doesn't look good :(

Both Mid-Kent Water and Southern Water have been all over the press explaining that there will be water shortages during this summer in Kent - and the first hose pipe bans have already started. The explanations that has been given is that there was so little rainfall during the winter that the main reservoirs are half empty already - seen the pictures on telly and it doesn't look good :(

You need to get your local council to build some mountains. ;)

Isn't one of the lakes used to pump water to geordie land?

Yes!!!

It's the one I often swim in and you can guess what I do when I' m swimming and miles from the nearest public conveniences :rofl::rofl:

:D:D:D:D

These are the latest stocks for the northwest.

Hi Andy

Interesting statistics - are there similar ones available for other areas please to give a country-wide picture, or these stats over a longer period?

I note that only about 8 of the 50-odd are shown to have increased their level, but as it is only over a one-week period, it would be foolhardy IMO to draw too many conclusions, even though current levels seem quite good.

Thank you

Mo

Hi Andy

Interesting statistics - are there similar ones available for other areas please to give a country-wide picture' date=' or these stats over a longer period?

I note that only about 8 of the 50-odd are shown to have increased their level, but as it is only over a one-week period, it would be foolhardy IMO to draw too many conclusions, even though current levels seem quite good.

Thank you

Mo[/quote']

I'm not sure if the companies generally have the information available.

The only reason I can get those figures is because I'm working on a remote monitoring system for the water company.

• 17 years later...

Loads of news stories on the ban on Hose Pipes / Sprinklers / Car Washing, paddling pools in domestic circumstances. 

Never once does the report mention swimming pools indoors or outdoors being part of the ban. 

Ones with water in now are obviously filled already and that will be able to be used for flushing lots of toilets.