Fabia mkI 4x4 Turbo Petrol. (from idea to build...)

BossFox

Did you drive it back?

No, it's not road legal.

It's a Rallycross car so it's for parts and to give us an idea what alterations to the floorpan are needed and how to set up a 4x4 system in that bodyshell.

It's a Rallycross car so it's for parts and to give us an idea what alterations to the floorpan are needed and how to set up a 4x4 system in that bodyshell.

Just rear end changes I reckon :D Already a tunnel for the propshaft to go down. Worry about the exhaust afterwards. :D

Just rear end changes I reckon :D Already a tunnel for the propshaft to go down. Worry about the exhaust afterwards :D

Yeah, right.

If it was that easy you'd have done it years ago! :D

Thank god my computer is waterproof. Now nothing will happen when I see the pics and drool all over the keyboard...

Unfortunately it's not an ex-WRC car, they are still fetching £50k++. Now that would be heaven.

It's rather more humble than that, being a well used rallycross car. But it has the info and bits I need... I hope.

Before I sign off for the night, a couple of shots of a cup car from CZ that show the hefty transmission tunnel (RHD footwell size !?!).

Yes, it has no rear doors.

web1o.jpg

Plus you can see the rear subframe bolts up to crossbraces that have roll bar bracing lined up with them that go from the flat boot floor up to the rear turrets.

web2l.jpg

This is NOT MY CAR. Just pictures I now have.

It is going to take some serious rear end fabrication. I imagine the whole back end / boot floor will need to come out, and bracing put it to hold whatever rear beam you need, and the associated differential. Possibly having the donor car takes some work out as in theory you could cut & shut, AND be able to see what needs taking out the UK car to fit.

I would never have looked into 4mo had it been easily doable. Simply out of my reaches without a much much deeper wallet.

There's currently a thread on SEATCupra.net about someone doing basically the same conversion on a Mk1 Leon (4WD Leon was only available in Europe as an LHD car, never made as a RHD). So he's chopping the bootfloor out and welding in the equivalent parts from a Mk1 S3. Obviously it's not a direct comparison but might be worth a read as it may be that you come across some of the same problems with getting a 4WD powertrain into a chassis that wasn't really designed for it.

Unfortunately it's not an ex-WRC car, they are still fetching £50k++. Now that would be heaven.

It's rather more humble than that, being a well used rallycross car. But it has the info and bits I need... I hope.

Rallycross, you say? Somehow that makes it even better. Did a few races last year and I loved it. But unfortunately I lost my licence when I failed my med-eval. Never got around to retaking it.

Just sorting pictures now... but here is one the guy bringing it over for me took waiting for the ferry.

skoda1b.jpg

I am seriously chuffed.

It may be a bit well used looking, but it's come with spare driveshafts, suspension components, a subframe and numerous other things including a brand new front bumper and a set of flared wings! :rock:

I was going to bring it back myself, but the cost was about the same and I've never have fitted all the spare parts in the Yeti.

There were also far more parts than I expected, so it would have put me over the 2000kg towing limit anyway.

Its absolutely brilliant. It doesn't look like much at first glance, but the underlying beauty is astounding. I'd love to build one of these from scratch one day.

Great find, mate. If you don't mind telling, how much did it set you back?