Fabia mkI 4x4 Turbo Petrol. (from idea to build...)

BossFox

Quiet day at work, so the mind has been drifting.

Anyway, I'm planning a project to produce a brilliant mkI Fabia for next year.

Starting this post here to get the ideas out of my head.

It needs to be:

• Hatchback mkI Fabia
  • Full time four wheel drive
  • Under 1300kg
  • Petrol powered
  • Over 350bhp.

Updated plan from post no.11

• Right hand drive
  • 0-60mph in less than 4.5 seconds
  • Santa Pod quarter mile of less than 13 seconds.
  • Road legal
  • Seats two
  • Roll cage

Already had a chat with Jabbasport who built my blue one and they are keen. So that's a good start. :D

Need to start looking for a donor vehicle... could be interesting.

(I think I'm losing my marbles)

• Like 2

Would the 4motion rear setup be able to be used or would it have to be complete custom setup?

The Haldex system can be locked in 50:50 torque split between front and rear tyres, so that should be OK.

Just have possible modifications to floorpan to allow a drive shaft going to the rear and the rear drive components.

I'm having a look at a European rallycross car in a couple of weeks to see how they do it.

Do it! could you go down the 1.8(well 1.9) turbo route of steevie wonders octy vrs? Which Jabba built didnt they, its producing over 400 bhp!

Edit: not sure if the engine would fit in the fabia mind, but im sure Jabba could make it work!

There was a very nice 4x4 Fabia in CZ that we saw at a Dorsky meet,

I belive Jason (Devonutopia) had a go in it, also has some very cool rotating No. plates on it.

Not sure if the guy ever came on here.

Think this was it,

post-4467-0-05810500-1333033533_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Big project, and something I was planning if I came into some money. I was basically going to buy the cheapest 1.4 Fabia I could find, and go to town. I really wanted to use the S4 2.7 twin turbo engine, just for something a little non 1.8T which is quite common as a conversion generally, but perhaps better suited to a fabia.

There was a very nice 4x4 Fabia in CZ that we saw at a Dorsky meet,

I belive Jason (Devonutopia) had a go in it, also has some very cool rotating No. plates on it.

Not sure if the guy ever came on here.

Think this was it,

post-4467-0-05810500-1333033533_thumb.jpg

Yes, that's the one. It's pretty cool.

But for me it's too smokey when used as it should be. Plus I can't realistically get the bhp I want from a 1.9 diesel.

So I'm probably going to need a well tuned 1.8T or a 2.0 TSI/TFSI. (will also keep the nose weight down)

The steering wheel is also on the wrong side, the same issue all the WRC/Rallycross Fabias that come with 4x4 suffer with.

Could be wrong, but I'm not sure there actually is a 4x4 Fabia with RHD. ??

Which leads me onto some more bullet points for the build list... :D

• Right hand drive
  • 0-60mph in less than 4.5 seconds
  • Santa Pod quarter mile of less than 13 seconds.
  • Road legal
  • Seats two
  • Roll cage

• Like 1

Roll cage? No good for the weight target? :D (unless it is aimed at keeping the chassis straight long term)

For santa pod, a 2.7TT conversion would be pretty cool. A comfortable 600bhp is not too out of reach on those lumps But would be a handful as a regular trackday car.

Roll cage? No good for the weight target? :D (unless it is aimed at keeping the chassis straight long term)

For santa pod, a 2.7TT conversion would be pretty cool. A comfortable 600bhp is not too out of reach on those lumps But would be a handful as a regular trackday car.

Yes, I want to be able to drive it on the road, take it to track days and do Santa Pod too. Everything I can do with my diesel.

A roll cage would not be that bad, around 30-40kg max and the weight would be in the right place, behind the seats.

Those big engine conversions would be amazing, but as you mentioned it's balancing the weight. A 1.8T or 2.0 TFSI conversion would actually end up being lighter than a regular 1.9Tdi.

I have been offered a low milage 2.0 TFSI from an Audi TTS that makes around 270bhp standard. Same engine as the Octy VRS, but strengthened by VAG to take the higher output. Looks like the engine would be about 30-40kg less than the Tdi that we run.

I've already ordered a pair of front seats. 3kg each, plus 1kg for the mounts. :)

Sounds like a good plan.

I guess it would mean custom driveshafts? Or would you get the wide body kit to go with it?

I'd look to source a wide kit like the old mkI Fabia WRC cars had. But paint the whole car one colour so it was not too obvious.

I believe you can (or could) still get the kit as there are Rallycross cars being made with it as projects.

Well that's the idea anyway.

This should be made a sticky, so we can follow this thread from An Idea to Completion :rock:

That's a good idea...

Maybe a mod could move it to the "Fabia Projects" section?

When would be a realistic start date for this to go ahead? :) can't wait for the build thread lol

I have already ordered the front seats (Carbon Fibre, very sexy)

Over the Easter holiday I'm in the Czech Republic looking at Rallycross cars for ideas.

So within a month it'll probably start. Well, I'll have some parts and a project vehicle anyway. :D

Over the Easter holiday I'm in the Czech Republic looking at Rallycross cars for ideas.

So within a month it'll probably start. Well, I'll have some parts and a project vehicle anyway. :D

Brilliant :) I cant imagine how excited you are! EnjOy it :)

Quality project, I wish you all the best with this, if your SE is anything to go by this next project will be a cracking car.

I will keep an eye out for the progress/build thread. And well done for having the balls to do it!

So within a month it'll probably start. Well, I'll have some parts and a project vehicle anyway.

You really are serious about this aren't you!!

Good luck to you I say. I probably can't help in anyway except by offering moral support and encouragement.