Roof Bars no Rails

Looks like you have to buy the rails as well!

http://www.accessories.skoda.co.uk/productsList.aspx?type=a&id=17&main=Transport%20and%20Towing⊂=Roof%20Rails%20and%20Roof%20Bars

BTW, My Octy has no gulleys but roof bars clamp into holes inside the top of the door frame.

Thanks for the replies. I was hoping something like this would do http://images.eselle.../914/smCBC1.jpg

These would fit if you have the holes in the top of the door frames for the locking pins to slide into.

I am thinking that the Roomster doesn't have these as nowhere online states these type of bars, only the bars that clamp onto the roof rails.

Ta. According to this video it just rests on the roof and hooks under the door frame. Looks to me like that would work. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtube_gdata_player&v=4MKDW15M9EA

As I said, this is how mine fit, but I doubt they would fit like that on yours as they only list bars that go with the rails.

Worth a phone call but check you have the mounting holes first on you door frames.

Steve, if a roof rack is important to you why not try to add roof bars to your order? I've looked at mine and the window/door lines look impossible for a hook under type of rack.

Retro fitting roof bars would involve removing the headlining - not a job I'd relish!

Certainly earlier on you couldn't fit roof bars to Roomsters but I'm surprised Thule for example hasn't come up with any yet. If not then I would assume it still isn't possible.

Ta. The car is an 08 so I will ask the dealer for a quote to retro-fit them.

You will probably find that a tow bar and a luggage trailer will be cheaper than having the roof rails retro fitted, even without buying the bars to go on them.

• 1 year later...

If anyone is about I wonder if we could resurrect this topic with a further question? I went through a similar process of enquiry for a Roomster c. 2010 without RoofRails. I have come out the other end with my reliable independent garage able to fit Skoda Roof Rails for £200. I will buy the Whispbars as I can recycle it on a future car. However, my Roomster has gullies. When the rubber strip is taken back there are no fittings for a roof bar without rails. So, is it a question of welding a secondary plate in there with spaces for the roofbar fixings to grip or some other way of drilling and waterproofing. Am I missing some reason for the Skoda Roomster having the gullies other than a roof accessory? Bit confused on this atm and could do with an answer prior to getting the roof rails fitted. Any thoughts?

Oh, and btw, for interest, Griffin Mill my local Skoda retailer's BodyShop refused to retro-fit the Roof Rails even tho they are official Skoda parts as, "there is the risk of consequential dmage to the roof and we don't want the hassle of you coming back to us claiming we have caused damage." Hmmmm, not very confident in their own skills! :-)

• Funnily enough I thought I had better read the guidelines and take down the name of the Skoda garage that refused to fit the roof rails to my four year old Skoda Roomster.My concern was that they would not have a right to reply if they didn't read it. So, if I can I will delete it. But on a different tack: what are people's experience of how effective a retro-fit of the roof rails are to a roomster? A Skoda retailer I approached said that "they would not supply and fit the parts as there was a risk of consequential damage, for which they did not want a question of liability." So, is there a known history of this work, that I am about to have undertaken, failing. Does anyone know if Skoda recommend that the roof bars are retro-fitted or not? Many thanks.

Oh, and btw, for interest, Griffin Mill my local Skoda retailer's BodyShop refused to retro-fit the Roof Rails even tho they are official Skoda parts as, "there is the risk of consequential dmage to the roof and we don't want the hassle of you coming back to us claiming we have caused damage." Hmmmm, not very confident in their own skills! :-)

I know several independents have told me to go to the actual dealership to get rails retrofitted as it involves drilling through the roof and whatnot, and they have seen several botched jobs where the holes aren't done properly and the roof starts rusting.

The dealership here in Reading (Parkview) has no issues retrofitting them, but will only do so for ones they source - you can't buy elsewhere and bring them in. Cost though is similar, I think last I checked in 2012 was around £250 inclusive of labor.

Yeah, thanks. That is good advice. My dilemma is that the local skoda who said they would do it want £388 whereas the independent wants £208. As he is a bodyshop and has serviced my cars for ten years I feel he will want to sort any issues that arise. But it does feel a bit of a risk. I wonder how many of them the Skoda dealer has actually done tho. I will ask that. I just had a message that the roof rails fit fine despite these odd gullies and rubber seals on the roof. I can't see why they need to be there in the metal press if there are never any accesories added to the roomster pre-delivery. Thinking about it, they probably use the same pressed roofs for the fabia. Maybe.