jars' 2005 Fabia vRS

Titanium_Man

So after yesterdays fairly successful start, I had a bit of a lazy morning :bandit: and didn't start until 10:45 despite knowing I only had a short stint until I had to drop the good lady out, which was cool because I needed to pop into Skoda to ask about some bits. 

So I set about removing the headlights. Pretty simple job, IF you have a long enough torx screwdriver :( so I had to make do for the time being 

401144A4-E4D7-4FFF-A0DB-D73FDE622F90_zps

I had just enough time left to remove the crash bar and a cheeky alignment to see how it would look. I realised at this point that installing this thing was a lot more involved than I first thought and required complete removal of the plastic and metal radiator surround..... but decided I was going to tackle that once I was back. 

9CBA0311-A467-465C-8323-E4E0F0E3EAE9_zps

Whilst I was out, I picked up an angle grinder and popped to the local Skoda dealer. Ordered myself a new window switch surround for £3  :rock: but was told it was going to be £70 for a new fog light  :devil:  

Upon my return I tried to attach the 'cooler brackets, which was supplied with two different size screw thing and was obvious which size went where, although one size didn't fit through the hole and had me scratching my head for a little while  :giggle:

EF14AD5E-5267-4411-9445-B79104B9E410_zps

I eventually removed the metal washer thingy and all was good :D  and after removing a fair few screws, the radiator surround and slam panel were released.

43976953-D4D7-4278-A669-441F2321A520_zps

At this point I thought the hard work was done.... I had attached the 'cooler mounts not realising more cutting was required, as illustrated below with my amazing skills :giggle:

baccdd49-154a-4bb5-ada2-09076f9051bb_zps

e61b7b5d-3648-4bdf-b706-597cf0b3a80d_zps

So I've stopped again for another day and plan and early start with a hand from my neighbour (just for a 2nd set, not useful to me other than that :( ) and hope tomorrow will feel more productive........

• Like 1

You might need to cut the back of the bumper out too! I had to with mine but I've got 57mm pipework :)

Yeah I think where the smic intake hole is there's a plastic flap which will go.... hopefully not much else :wonder:

Yeah I think where the smic intake hole is there's a plastic flap which will go.... hopefully not much else :wonder:

Yeh that will need to come off. You going for an Ibiza crash bar? The Fabia one needs quite a bit of trimming.

Should of thought sooner I've got a Fabia crash bar all trimmed for a seat sport cooler and pipework.

• Like 1

Yeh that will need to come off. You going for an Ibiza crash bar? The Fabia one needs quite a bit of trimming.

Should of thought sooner I've got a Fabia crash bar all trimmed for a seat sport cooler and pipework.

I was going to trim my current bar as it didn't seem all that much. Just the lip pipe end?

Well that's an awesome thought dude :)

I was going to trim my current bar as it didn't seem all that much. Just the lip pipe end?

Well that's an awesome thought dude :)

Your might be different to mine again, the forge is probably made for the least amount of cutting. Ibiza crash bar looks much tidier though. You going for a wide mouth?

Your might be different to mine again, the forge is probably made for the least amount of cutting. Ibiza crash bar looks much tidier though. You going for a wide mouth?

Well I'm I'm going with the "fit and see" method :D If I need to change it at a later date, so be it. I've read a few SS install threads and the one I've come back too only trims the crash bar, so I've touched some wood ;):rofl:

No, not going wide-mouth. Want to keep a standard-ish look :)

So another day, another face palm :D 

With my enthaustic neighbour keeping me company this morning, I went down (a little earlier than yesterday, but not much :P ) to my garage to make a start on grinding away the radiator surround to allow the 'cooler bracket and pipes be free to do their thing. After lining it all up, marking with some chalk, I got the grinder out  :rock:  At first, it was nice and easy going through the plastic like a hot knife through butter. A little awkward at times, but nothing too difficult. Then came the actual cutting.... lots of noise mixed with a some sparks. Awesome! Surprisingly, again not as hard as I thought it was going to be :) 

Anyway, after a couple of hours taking my time, I was left with this...

F50CED4E-C5E5-4651-81DC-29ECE73DE1C2_zps

ECBC8424-A8C6-46A1-BC2E-4854A6AC027D_zps

.... and she's in  :sun:

3586D0BF-0459-44C8-8ED2-E14D1F02A13F_zps

That picture was taken at around 1pm today when I stopped for lunch and a brew, then it was on to the crash bar. I have pondered over this for a while as I didn't really want to cut it up. I had research other ways, read that I could fit an Ibiza crash bar etc etc but if I am honest, all the parts just came together all at once, more or less, and I just got going and here I am :rofl:

So, after fitting the 'colder, I put the crash bar up against it and chalked the bits which needed to go as it was obvious the silicone wouldn't last long if I didn't. At this point, being inexperienced at this  :peek: I only had one cutting and 1 grinding disc, which didn't last all that long and brought a sudden stop to the days work at around 4pm today :( I haven taken any pictures of the crash bar as it is yet, but I have a bit more to go on the top, then I move onto the lower lip and do the same.  

I have started to look at retrofitting the OEM Xenons I have sat in my garage and have changed over the silver indicator blubs and high beam lights but I have been stumped by this little lead... 

Old lights with little lead and a place to put it

66CFE9C2-2281-42E7-848C-336157C331B1_zps

Xenons with the same lead, but no place to put it?!?

F30788B4-9A81-4AB7-A025-328B8C19E35D_zps

DEEFB788-D1EB-4501-91B3-CAE3FC3A7AA2_zps

Anyone have any ideas?!

Thanks Charlie. I bought Bowen's OEM ones B)

Do you know what.... after I posted that above, I got up, walked over to the lights and I realised what I need to do! I think I need to put that grey box in the Xenons :wonder: Now to work out how to get the grey box off..... I know Bowen said something about it :giggle:

• Like 1

Yes you need to swap the level adjustment motors over.

I can't quite remember, it's either twist then pull, or just pull to get them off?

Definitely get them on an MOT beam aligner, if even just to check,  Makes the world of a difference!

• Like 1

Another day spent in my garage... love it :sun: After popping to B&Q to pick up some supplies, I returned home, got changed and got on it again.

Me rocking my garage gear :)

AD2A6386-3152-40D6-880C-A2A7EF40A7F6_zps

Knowing that I didn't have a full day today, I set about finishing the crash bar. After a couple of hours lining it up, marking, cutting grinding, it was done and ready for a lick of Hammerite rust paint for the fresh bits. Essentially, I have cut off the lip on both sides as it was catching the pipe to 'cooler, plus cut a very small section out of the bar itself as it was going to rub.

Top lip already removed and smoothed, bottom lip being cut into smaller strips to make it a little easier...

0B6FC4C7-241E-4AFB-900D-3790AA56EC64_zps

And this was the finished product...

F36E5658-BC4D-48D2-B39D-E7EAC62D78EB_zps

037AAB8A-2FDA-40E6-AA41-6A7B97DCF832_zps

Lunch time came, so popped up for a quick brew and decided to transfer over the light motors into the Xenon's ready for install... and then there was a knock at the door ....

9AC3FFF2-9EFD-4628-B4FE-B0A67ACA3121_zps

..... it was the postie delivering Korban's "coming home lights" and will be installed once I'm done what I'm currently up to.

CB6592E2-AA47-43F7-B87D-0A232EAB69E9_zps

After my cuppa, it was time to test fit the lower boost pipes.... the top will have to wait for now as the top silicone pipe to the 'cooler was not sent with the rest :wall: After a very quick line up, it was obvious that the pipe to the turbo needed trimming as I couldn't get it in the hold, past the chassis leg. So out came various tools, eventually settling with a giant hack-saw :giggle: After removing 15mm from the pipe, I quickly put it all together again to check none of the pipes were catching anything, anywhere.... all good :rock:

C04753E6-02B2-4E0F-A18E-ED9CCE143A8C_zps

Once this was done (although not tight until I can do the rest) I had about an hour left, so thought I would start to remove the EGR valve.... top two bolts were no issue, but I am stumped for now as I have massive hands and I am struggling to get in behind the valve to undo them, so have given up for the day as I have to go out.

4FAF2203-270C-4DB8-9BF7-B0DA1FAACD67_zps

Not working on her tomorrow as I am tied up, but if this weather keeps up football will be cancelled on Sunday so will get on it again then if that's the case.

Edited by jars
  • Like 3

Excellent progress. Looks so handy having your own garage

Cheers dude.

Excellent progress .... hmmmm, more like slooooow progress :rofl: but this is my first attempt at anything like this, so patience is the key :)

Yeah I love having an integral garage, makes things nice and easy. My missus insisted on the area where be bought our house, so naturally I insisted on us having a garage :rock:

• Like 1

I've read your thread from start to finish, very interesting :) Your one brave guy to fit all the parts in your Fabia, keep it up ;)

I'll be keeping an eye on your thread, look forward to your next mods. 

Edited by Zuhayb
  • Like 1