jars' 2005 Fabia vRS

Titanium_Man

Yeah sure have :rofl: I have scrapped it twice so far; once on the new entry into my private parking area which was initially too steep, and once driving along and went down a big drop in the road :( Thankfully no damage.

I've not had any problems with removing g the key since the first and only time. Does it keep happening, Zeb? Maybe worth consider taking something to smooth it out a bit like a dremel sanding bit?

• Like 1

Yep, mines keeps happening I have to apply pressure to make it flip. Think I will drop Action man an email and see if he can sort it out. Not very good at DIY, as I tend to break things lol. 

• 4 weeks later...

Now really updates from me for a while as life has gone crazy busy.... 

Anyway, had a few deliveries, taken a few snaps and got the green light on a tasty upgrade :rock: (by the garage, not the missus :P ) 

The weather this winter in Bristol was mild to say the least. I've been sat on my winter wheels for two years now and not used them in anger, not once! I was unable to drive last winter and the temperature this winter only dropped below 7 on a couple of occasions. So I decided in February that they needed to go back into storage.... eventually putting them away last week :angel: 

IMG_3057_zpsfa310ec5.jpg

A couple of recent deliveries...

IMG_3064_zps954b87ab.jpg

It's been a while since I've soldered anything.... I left school in '97 and don't recall doing any since.... so I've been building up to install my "coming home lights" made by the amazing Korban :thumbup: Great piece of kit which comes as standard on my missus' knackered Fiesta Zetec S  :devil:

My spare and still chromed grill with OEM badge  :blush:

IMG_3063_zpsc028932c.jpg

So, the good and exciting news..... after Danham's new GTB turbo arrived at Dirty Torque this week, I can finally confirm that I am the proud owner of his old (although actually still pretty new) billet wheel'd hybrid and it's going on next week as I'm driving up this Saturday :rock: 

Although Dan had this turbo RR'd showing around 245 with his map from DT, as my OEM clutch was brand two weeks after buying my car, I will not be mapping to that level just yet as I see no point destroying a 20k old clutch just for fun. So the plan is to map it with that in mind, replenish some funds in the meantime and upgrade it once the OEM once is done. Meanwhile I'll be having a long, hard think about fitting an LSD at the same time  :think:

One thing I did give some thought too is my exhaust. When I had her up in the air at my mates garage, I noticed there was a build-up of soot on the down pipe. Although this was initially hard to spot, we had to give it a proper look as my car still sounds a lot different to my mates vRS and eventually found it, so that will be coming out and being replaced with something that will be able to cope with the power later on. I'm hoping it's the exhaust causing this change in sound and not something else like a cracked manifold :wonder: 

What has become very obvious though is the leak from the N/S driveshaft/seal which is leaking, as you can see on the left of the under-tray

IMG_3058_zps74562621.jpg

This will be looked at once the turbo is fitted, along with some other little niggles. 

I've also ordered a new jet washer thanks to Sparkly pointing out a cracking deal the other day, so need to get on and purchase a snow foam lance and finish modding my garage so I can get her looking gleaming again :) 

• Like 3

So whilst Im currently between jobs I've spent the morning with a Mr Grr666 looking at motorbikes and I'm not gonna lie, it is tempting to stop what I'm doing and jump onto two wheels again..... but not just yet :P

Whilst I was out I got a nice little picture from LLoyd55.. my catch can had arrived :) So on my way home I popped in, had a chat, perved at his lovely motor and shiney new wheels B) and picked this up....

62C8513E-DE94-4C9B-ACF4-B5A7E527BBC7_zps

I've spent a bit of time looking at other installs of these and think it's gonna take a wee while for me to find the time to install it properly if I am honest :( What isn't possibly going to take as long as expected is my new turbo :rock: Had a text from DT this morning and there's an outside chance I can drive home tomorrow evening :sun: so watch this space.......

• Like 4

I thought my alarm was a cruel joke and had forgot to turn it off for work when it went off at 6am this morning in my quest for more powar! Although DT said they would let me know if he would be able to turn my car around in a day and that if the head bolts had arrived in time, but as I understand it, he was hard at work til late on Dan's car and at it again this morning. No worries, I forgot to pay him last night :rofl:

But none of that bothers me, this is gonna be a nice day out in the British countryside :D and I get to road trip the crap out of my car on the way home..... google maps says 2:45 depending on traffic and the exact route, but I won't be in a rush with the missus and her Civic following behind.

Right then women, get out the shower as you're making us late........

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

So no real change since my trip to Shrewsbury, apart from going out this morning to fill her up ready for my daily 5/6 mile commute to work each day and popped the hose connected to EGR delete. 

Note to self.... check in the engine bay to make sure it's not a top hose come off before jacking her up, removing the wheel and arch liner after assuming it was the bottom one :rolf: 

3DAC67DA-2CC2-4134-B05B-D3341FCCAEF5_zps

One thing I want to point out to those who want to run Spiders with coilovers and considering tyre sizes... 

E8593830-7DAD-4517-9321-AB3095B39B02_zps

0727C3C8-6E0D-4875-BCB4-4061FCA21A86_zps

.... as you can see from the first picture I am not running particularly low, with the second picture showing where my tyres are catching the arch liner on full lock. This does my head in and was previously sorted when I had the suspension aligned last year (by sorted, I mean the arch liner had a hole put in it :D ) but when I installed my Airtec 'cooler, I replaced the liner as I didn't like the look of it. 

Anyway, this is all down to my tyre choice I reckon. I'm currently running 215/40's as that is the only size I could get the tyres I wanted in, so with 205/40's I think this may stop, or alternatively, put some spacers on there. I'm leaning towards the latter as I really rate my current rubber and was thinking 10/15mm spacers would be nice. 

I've been living with the new power for a week now and have noticed a few things; It doesn't take much right foot to get me into dangerous territory :D The downside to all this is that I need better brakes. The 312 & 256 set-up just does't scrub enough speed off quickly, or at least I don't feel it's quick enough. This sucks because I already had decent callipers up front previously  :wall:

I also now find myself pottering along in 3rd or 4th which keeps me very very close to 30 as this seems to be a nice and economic speed and protects my OEM DMF, whereas before I found myself chasing 5th gear for economy so more like 35 on a flat (if the engine started to labour I always changed up a gear ;) ) So this is a positive :) 

As many have written before me, using the increased power uses soooo much fuel! I do mostly potter around, now more so than ever my missus has just commented, but a tenner doesn't last long if driven enthusiastically  :bandit: So I've messaged Techie1 to get cruise fitted as most of the 7-9k miles a year my car does is on the motorway and just a little dab with the right is enough to send my flying and guzzle the fuel, so need to put measures in place! 

My hose kept popping off my egr delete too. It happened every time I went out! So got a custom pipe made up in the end

Just back from seeing Garry, a 15/20 minute blat on the ring road from North to East Bristol and held up fine, so hope I don't have to go down that route, but we'll see. Will keep a screw driver handy :D

• Like 1

Just back from seeing Garry, a 15/20 minute blat on the ring road from North to East Bristol and held up fine, so hope I don't have to go down that route, but we'll see. Will keep a screw driver handy :D

You could also just get a silicone hose and trim the plastic pipe a bit

You could also just get a silicone hose and trim the plastic pipe a bit

TBH once Combe be over and done with will be putting my car in my garage for a few weeks as I'm sending Joel my OEM top boost pipe for development of a replacement B)

• Like 1

I thought I would share my little gaffe with you all... but the question is, have you done this......

B2C57C59-A359-4B7D-BEEC-169352FC452E_zps

Yes, when I leant over my open bonnet, my car keys dropped out of my coat side pocket into the little gap between my 'cooler and bumper  :wall:  My arm is too big to fit in that hole, so I got out a few instruments to try and pry them out. I was hard pushed for time as I was due in a meeting after school, so left my missus to it, only for her to drop one of my tools in there. 

Fast forward to today and I've found time to take the bumper off and fish it out :rofl:

0EEDD6B0-D72F-49F2-B8C4-BB7C82DD64AB_zps

See you at Combe B)