Touchscreen Tablet Advice.

kevberlin

My laptop may have given up the ghost. As I have PCs elsewhere in the house, the laptop was used for browsing, banking, e bay and so on......

Having taken a look at ipad it seems to me this is now all I need to replace the laptop.

Can anyone advise me on touchscreen tablets? My ignorance made me assume the ipad was the only one, but I see there are loads on the market ranging from circa £170 upwards. Any thoughts greatfully received.

Thanks boys and girls.

Galaxy Tab is something you should consider as well. You could pick up 10.1 inches, from ebay for half the price of iPad.

Like this one: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Samsung-Galaxy-Tab-GT-P7511-16GB-Wi-Fi-10-1in-SUPERB-CONDITION-LEATHER-CASE-/251035585303?pt=UK_iPad_Tablets_eReaders&hash=item3a72e30b17

My advice would be to wander along to somewhere like Currys or PCWorld and have a play with them side by side. You might want to consider how easy you find it to use (be it iOS, Android or Windows), the size of screen and the weight if you plan to use it while holding it. My other half was considering an iPad for her commute but found that when she tried to use it, it was too heavy to hold for any length of time, and opted for a smaller Samsung Galaxy Tab.

Whatever you get, you might also want to get a case for it - they all feel fairly fragile :rofl:

Chris

Have just bought a tablet and been through weeks of the decision making process - here's the abridged version....

Wife has a Asus Transformer Prime which is lovely but does feel flimsy and I'm sure I would break it, so after much looking around at Ipad and Android (and not really having a preference for either operating system) I bought a Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet because of the build quality which was better than anything else I could find. It really is a solid machine and I wanted something to use outside of a folio case.

They're nice things to use, but keeping them in a folio case (as my wife does) seems to take away half the fun, so I bought the best built machine I could and just bought a small zip case to transport it around.

The thinkpad was a little more costly than an iPad, but know it's suited to my needs better - each to their own!

And then search for deals on line. The pace of model refresh means that there are many 'onsolete' models from just a few months back at bargain prices. I got this machine (32 gb 3g motorola xoom with Bluetooth keyboard and mouse and a 16 gb memory card) for £303. It's a great bit of kit but more solid than the latest skinny tablets

Sent from my MZ601 using Tapatalk 2

If you're looking for the smoothest and most enjoyable experience you should go for the iPad. I have the 3rd generation iPad and it's amazing. If you're looking for a good price and it's just for browsing go with a 16GB Wifi only model for £399. It may be a bit more of a premium price but you also pay for a quality built product and a great customer service.

• Like 1

If you're looking for a good price and it's just for browsing go with a 16GB Wifi only model for £399.

Tbh, if you just want something for browsing, shelling out £400 for an iPad 3 is probably a bit overkill. If you have your heart set on iOS, save yourself some dosh and get an iPad 1 or 2...

Chris

Putting it in car lingo. Fiat - android Ferrari - apple :)

This is a funny comment.... Fiat and Ferrari belong to......Fiat Group.... enough said for the "car lingo" :rofl:

• Like 1

This is a funny comment.... Fiat and Ferrari belong to......Fiat Group.... enough said for the "car lingo" :rofl:

Haha. *facepalm*

As said above there are some bargains to be had at the moment as newer models are released the the "obsolete" ones are put on sale.

I have seen/heard that the Samsungs are a bit stuttery and not very smooth (which I have experienced on their phones too).

Phil

The iPad 2 brand new is not that much cheaper than the iPad 3.

A difference of £70 for the basic iPad 2 vs 3 buys you a lot of apps!

Saying that though I did spend the extra £70 :)

I have sourced a refurbished ipad1 from a trusted source for £220. Does this seem about right?

Thanks again for all the replies from the "geeks" out there!

I was looking at getting an Asus Transformer Prime TF201 until I started digging and reading the forums.

Seems like the spun aluminium back shell is not such a good idea.

People have been having all sorts of problems with WiFi reception, low data rates, drop outs, not working with many routers and problems with WPA2 encryption.

The GPS is very poor, to such an extent that this feature has been dropped from the advertising literature, and customers are being offered a free external GPS module.

Also the case is flimsy and can distort if the tablet is picked up with one hand in the corner.

And reports of case cracking when flexed in the hinged docking statio/keyboard.

A newer model Infinity 700 has just been announced too !

At £500 and all those negative comments I'll pass thank you.

I'd rather get a cheap and cheerful Chinese tablet off ebay that has a proven record of being rooted successfully.

http://www.asus.com/Eee/Eee_Pad/Eee_Pad_Transformer_Prime_TF201/

I have sourced a refurbished ipad1 from a trusted source for £220. Does this seem about right?

Thanks again for all the replies from the "geeks" out there!

Depends on the size. Apple sell refurbs ipad2, 16 gb for 289. http://store.apple.com/uk/product/FC979

220 for a 1 with 16 gb is not a bargain but provided it gives you retail rights sounds about right. If you're prepared to wai and go used i don't doubt you can get cheaper

Putting it in car lingo. Fiat - android Ferrari - apple :)

I would say Apple = VW and Android = Skoda tbh :hi:

I was looking at getting an Asus Transformer Prime TF201 until I started digging and reading the forums.

Seems like the spun aluminium back shell is not such a good idea.

People have been having all sorts of problems with WiFi reception, low data rates, drop outs, not working with many routers and problems with WPA2 encryption.

The GPS is very poor, to such an extent that this feature has been dropped from the advertising literature, and customers are being offered a free external GPS module.

Also the case is flimsy and can distort if the tablet is picked up with one hand in the corner.

And reports of case cracking when flexed in the hinged docking statio/keyboard.

A newer model Infinity 700 has just been announced too !

At £500 and all those negative comments I'll pass thank you.

I'd rather get a cheap and cheerful Chinese tablet off ebay that has a proven record of being rooted successfully.

http://www.asus.com/...er_Prime_TF201/

I have had the transformer prime from day one of launch and GPS was never even on the spec list it was reported as you have said to have been later removed from spec list but tbh it was never officially on one lol GPS signal works fine for me if in car or outside not as strong inside. Wifi signal is not as strong as my old Archos 101 but tbh not far off and stronger signal than my Galaxy SII. As for flimsy cracking holding by a corner etc... I can hold mine right at corner with tips of finger and its rock solid no flex no creaking no distortion. The dock hinge cracking I know mine will not crack the only way on earth its possible is if someone tried to open it too far and puts a fair bit of force into it. I would give for solidness of construction the ipad 9.5/10 and transformer prime 9/10 BUT transformer prime is far more powerful, substantially longer battery life, expandable memory, better rear camera, better front camera, brighter screen, thinner, lighter and out of the box (one of my main reasons for buying) will play any type of video format no need for transcoding/converting and no need for itunes or expensive doc connector accessories. They are offering customers a extended warranty for free because of gps thing. But its like all some have more issues than others if you want wifi issues try the Sony one!!! OMFG in same room as router not even full signal flippin joke!

I am happy with the Asus Transformer Prime and would happily buy another if it was stolen (won't break ever I look after my stuff)