Seat Comfort

awfabia

Wife complaining that Fabia 2 driving position gives backache, anyone like to comment on Yeti v Fabia 2 comfort having had both cars?

Thinking of petrol 1.2 or 1.4 - any comments?

I love Fabia 2 but would like to continue with Skoda, wife wants to go back to Golf Plus.....

We have both Fabia 2 and Yeti Elegance - Yeti seats are much better, offering much more support and adjustment (especially the electric option) but not a patch on the Recaro style seats in previous Golf GTi's :thumbup:

We had a Fabia 2 and a Yeti... we now have 2 Yetis. Draw your own conclusions. :rofl:

For maximum comfort get an Elegance and spec the electric seat which gives more movement options.

• Like 1

I have found the seat way more comfortable than my previous Octavia, which was also fitted with an electric seat, and way better than the best executive car of its time, the BMW 5 series e39, of which I had 2.

I prefer the seat comfort in our Fabia Elegance to either the previous SE or current Elegance Yeti (manual seat). The deeper and softer padded seat base offered with the Fabia set-up has less of a tendency to pull at my lower back, which I can often suffer pain with from an old injury. Admittedly there is less side support but I'm no racer so not so much an issue. The wife on the other hand is equally as comfy in both.

TP

I cant directly comapare to the Fabia but in terms of overall comfort they are the most comfortable Ive ever had in a car. My longest times behind the wheel have exceeded 12 hours a day (24 hours of driving in two days in fact) stopping just for fuel and food and Ive gotten out at the other end feeling surprisingly fresh and ache free! :)

Can't comment on the Fabia, but due to a spinal injury (alergy to falling off ladders) I have problems with all seats. The drivers seat is the biggest reason for me buying a Yeti. I need a seat where I can remove/negate the lumbar support. By far the most comfortable seat I have owned (and the car that came with it is pretty good too). :sun:

• 1 month later...

Hello

I suffer from lower back stiffness; I think it is old age! The Fabia 2 Comfort seats are Ok when new but get softer as time goes on. To replace them costs a lot because they have air bags in the sides.

The solution I find is to buy an 'Orthopedic Seat Support' purchased from the manufacturers, for about £60 two years ago, in Southport, Lancashire or by mail order, there details are below.

Hope this helps.

Brian

MEDESIGN LTD

Must be me, yes the seats are very comfy but is the seat base too short. I then tend to recline the backrest and get a pain in my neck!

Maybe I should lower the seat and try a different angle of approach, so to speak!

Wife complaining that Fabia 2 driving position gives backache, anyone like to comment on Yeti v Fabia 2 comfort having had both cars?

Thinking of petrol 1.2 or 1.4 - any comments?

I love Fabia 2 but would like to continue with Skoda, wife wants to go back to Golf Plus.....

I have owned my 1.2 Yeti for three weeks and while I can't comment on the Fabia I have a couple of observations. I find the Yeti seats quite comfortable and prefer them to those in a Superb that I had for the day while the Yeti was back at the dealers having a problem sorted - the superb ones looked similar but felt firmer. However, if comfort is an issue bear in mind that some including myself find the Yeti to have a firm ride. I actually now find it to be so firm that if I could turn the clock back two months I would have gone for the golf plus which I did have a test in. For some reason I thought the Yeti was OK when I tested it but now feel that I made a mistake. I would say that if you have back trouble, make sure you try the Yeti over a good range of road surfaces. When I drove the Superb I realised just how serious a mistake I have made as while I would not say it has a soft ride the suspension has a degree of compliance that the yeti lacks. Speed bumps are particularly problematic for the Yeti and have to be treated with a degree of caution that one would not expect in a 'crossover' style of vehicle intended to make light of humps and bumps. Should I expect the Yeti to be better over poor roads than a superb? Perhaps my expectations are too high. Mind you don't pay any attention to me - while waiting for the Yeti I had a Roomster Scout (very low profile tyres) on loan for a few weeks and the Yeti ride is at least better than that!

Edited by warley

I know it's easy to be smart after the event but when we had our (extended) test drives I made sure we drove the model we wanted and a greenline (with 16" rims").

Several posters on here had commented about the softer ride with the 16's.

Having driven both we made the decision to seek the "special" option from SUK.

Ours has not been delivered yet, so I can't comment on long term usage.

Perhaps you should consider swapping the 17" rims for some 16's, perhaps over the winter with winter tyres on?

As with all things these choices are very subjective - just look at the thread for bonnet bra's!

Have a look at the "Sports" seats fitted as standard in the Yeti Urban, but not available as an option on any other Yeti as far as I know. My mate says mine are exactly the same as the ones he had in his VW Scirocco (Skoda raiding the VW/Audi parts bin I suppose). Whist they are not electric, I find them very comfortable - plenty of side support. Urban is available as a 1.2 petrol as well.

PS: I was the guilty party re Bonnet Bra thread - now waiting to list on e-bay!

Edited by Truthseaker

I know it's easy to be smart after the event but when we had our (extended) test drives I made sure we drove the model we wanted and a greenline (with 16" rims").

Several posters on here had commented about the softer ride with the 16's.

Having driven both we made the decision to seek the "special" option from SUK.

Ours has not been delivered yet, so I can't comment on long term usage.

Perhaps you should consider swapping the 17" rims for some 16's, perhaps over the winter with winter tyres on?

first, sorry for going slightly off topic (seats)

Thanks , I'll have a root around for posts re 16/17" wheels. I'd like to find out how marked the difference would be. Trouble is you are supposed to tell your insurer if you change spec and then your premium can go up. I know that technically one could have ordered the car that way but insurers probably still won't like it. Something else that I think I read somewhere was a comment that the diesel engines being much heavier probably stabilise the ride over the lighter 1.2 tsi units so perhaps the latter tend to bounce around a little more more. I'm clutching at straws here. Of course if I were 20 years younger the ride might seem fine - especially as it doesn't half corner well - but my boy racer days are long gone.

Edited by warley

I have both cars also and I find the Yeti seat ok, I sometimes get a dead leg on a long journey and I do a lot of them! I also find the steering column could do with moving out the dash just a little further, I find myself leaning forwards when I drive the Yeti.

As for the Fabia 2, it is a VRs and if I could put those seats in the Yeti I would be very happy.

I have also had other VAG cars and mostly they are all comfortable.

I have both cars also and I find the Yeti seat ok, I sometimes get a dead leg on a long journey and I do a lot of them! I also find the steering column could do with moving out the dash just a little further, I find myself leaning forwards when I drive the Yeti.

As for the Fabia 2, it is a VRs and if I could put those seats in the Yeti I would be very happy.

I have also had other VAG cars and mostly they are all comfortable.

Do you have the electric seat?

I have owned my 1.2 Yeti for three weeks and while I can't comment on the Fabia I have a couple of observations. I find the Yeti seats quite comfortable and prefer them to those in a Superb that I had for the day while the Yeti was back at the dealers having a problem sorted - the superb ones looked similar but felt firmer. However, if comfort is an issue bear in mind that some including myself find the Yeti to have a firm ride. I actually now find it to be so firm that if I could turn the clock back two months I would have gone for the golf plus which I did have a test in. For some reason I thought the Yeti was OK when I tested it but now feel that I made a mistake. I would say that if you have back trouble, make sure you try the Yeti over a good range of road surfaces. When I drove the Superb I realised just how serious a mistake I have made as while I would not say it has a soft ride the suspension has a degree of compliance that the yeti lacks. Speed bumps are particularly problematic for the Yeti and have to be treated with a degree of caution that one would not expect in a 'crossover' style of vehicle intended to make light of humps and bumps. Should I expect the Yeti to be better over poor roads than a superb? Perhaps my expectations are too high. Mind you don't pay any attention to me - while waiting for the Yeti I had a Roomster Scout (very low profile tyres) on loan for a few weeks and the Yeti ride is at least better than that!

If, like me, you had come out of a Mercedes SLK with sports suspension and 17" wheels, you would think the Yeti has a magic carpet ride by comparison across the Pembrokeshire tarmac - or lack of it! I think the ride is great, it reminds me a bit of my old Citroen 2CV!

If, like me, you had come out of a Mercedes SLK with sports suspension and 17" wheels, you would think the Yeti has a magic carpet ride by comparison across the Pembrokeshire tarmac - or lack of it! I think the ride is great, it reminds me a bit of my old Citroen 2CV!

Having previously owned two Dyanes and an Ami (both Citroens for younger viewers) all I can say is that if the Merc were that firm a ride you are lucky to still be walking! This week I was able to have a ride in a Tiguan with a sport pack to compare the the yeti over the same circuit There was not a huge difference in general feel but I thought that the Tiggy felt as though the dampers were working better than in the Yeti which I find to be a litte 'bouncy'. I still think my 'issue' is something to do with the petrol engine being much lighter that the diesels and in the case of this Tiggy a DSG as well. However the Tiggy owner thinks I am looking for a problem that isn't there. I think I am being rational l but I could just be going mad. I'd rather have a liitle more comfort and a little less handling. I did (as an experiment you understand) throw the Yeti into a corner with a bit of enthusiasm just to see what happened and it felt as though it was on rails with very little roll. I'm sure It could have gone through a fair bit faster but I don't have the bottle to try! Instead of the Elegance, I should have gone for an SE Plus (16" wheels) with a 2.0 tdi and I think I'd have been as happy as larry!

Edited by warley

No Rockhopper I don't have any electric seats, why do you ask?

Probably because the electric seat has more adjustable parts and more variation of seating positions which give more support.

I find it noticably better than the manual seat we had in the previous Yeti.

I can spend hours on end driving with no discomfort at all, which I couldn't in the previous Yeti or Fabia.

Having previously owned two Dyanes and an Ami (both Citroens for younger viewers) all I can say is that if the Merc were that firm a ride you are lucky to still be walking! This week I was able to have a ride in a Tiguan with a sport pack to compare the the yeti over the same circuit There was not a huge difference in general feel but I thought that the Tiggy felt as though the dampers were working better than in the Yeti which I find to be a litte 'bouncy'. I still think my 'issue' is something to do with the petrol engine being much lighter that the diesels and in the case of this Tiggy a DSG as well. However the Tiggy owner thinks I am looking for a problem that isn't there. I think I am being rational l but I could just be going mad. I'd rather have a liitle more comfort and a little less handling. I did (as an experiment you understand) throw the Yeti into a corner with a bit of enthusiasm just to see what happened and it felt as though it was on rails with very little roll. I'm sure It could have gone through a fair bit faster but I don't have the bottle to try! Instead of the Elegance, I should have gone for an SE Plus (16" wheels) with a 2.0 tdi and I think I'd have been as happy as larry!

Warley, Are you suggesting the Citroen Dyane's and Ami's have firm rides? If you are, I think I can see why you think the ride in a Yeti is poor! Citroen Ami/Dyane/2CV are renowned for the soft -rolly-polly' ride, a joy to go bowling down country lanes as fast as you can, as long as you don't suffer from car sickness that is.

I've tried going quickly round country road bends in the Yeti (2.0 TDi 4x4), I do it every day on the way to work, and yes it rolls a bit. but it does stick to the road & the DSG box is just wonderful.

I tried a DSG Tiguan before choosing the Yeti - no comparison in my opinion, it wallowed and I just didn't feel part of the car.

But of course, you pays your money and......

Warley, Are you suggesting the Citroen Dyane's and Ami's have firm rides? If you are, I think I can see why you think the ride in a Yeti is poor! Citroen Ami/Dyane/2CV are renowned for the soft -rolly-polly' ride, a joy to go bowling down country lanes as fast as you can, as long as you don't suffer from car sickness that is.

I've tried going quickly round country road bends in the Yeti (2.0 TDi 4x4), I do it every day on the way to work, and yes it rolls a bit. but it does stick to the road & the DSG box is just wonderful.

I tried a DSG Tiguan before choosing the Yeti - no comparison in my opinion, it wallowed and I just didn't feel part of the car.

But of course, you pays your money and......

No, I was suggesting that if your Yeti felt like a 2CV after the Merc SLK then the Merc must have been truly rock hard! The old 2CV/Dyanes/Amis did indeed roll like ships in a gale and one of mine once failed an MoT because it bounced up and down so much with little actual damping. I went to the main dealers to have it fixed and they said there was no point because there was nothing wrong and fitting new dampers would be exactly the same as the ones that were on it and advised me to try a different MoT station! I appealed to the DVLA but could not get the test fee refunded! The Dyane once made my sister car sick or maybe it was sea sick! Back to the Yeti, just to recap, I'm finding the 1.2 TSi Elegance somewhat firm and bouncy - I definitely don't think it is rolling very much, the opposite in fact as it corners on rails. I find the car to be entirely admirable in almost every other way.

Edited by warley

No Rockhopper I don't have any electric seats, why do you ask?

As BossFox states above, with the electric seat you can tilt the seat base up or down at the front and rear giving a much better range of adjustments.

There is also much better lumbar support, up down in and out.

(not forgetting the programable settings and the dipping near side mirror for reversing).

As BossFox said, I also can drive for many hours in total comfort. It is the most comfortable car I have ever driven over long distances. Better than my similarly equipped Octavia L&K.