Windows mobile phone any good?

justinbarrow

Thinking of changing my phone at the moment I have a samsung wave 3 running bada operating system but have heard that the new windows mango software phone seem to be good.

Just wondered if anyone here had one and how they rate them as the software seems to be much quicker than the bada software on the samsung wave 3, Thanks

Well, permit me to be succinct. Its bolIocks.

I went crazy after two days, even if the build I was running was heavily modified. I haven't seen a more paralysed operating system in my life. Compared to this, the stock Windows Mobile 2002 was a masterpiece. And I'm sure you've heard the horror stories of WM02.

I'm ashamed to admit that it took me two days to finally install Android. But I'd rather run Android and lose the ability to run Debian, Ubuntu and later Meego, than spend another minute with this rubbish. *shivers*

PS: Your honor, on the charge of using WP7 Tango, I plead not guilty on the basis of temporary insanity.

Edited by DaKKs_152

Personally i've run WP7 for about 18 months and love it.

If your comparing to android, its definitely not good. Android allows you to do everything you want. WP7 is much more like iOS. With the exception of the apps, WP7 stands up pretty well against iOS (although the hardware is generally not as good).

I'm hoping Microsoft make sure that any Window 8 apps can be simply ported to WP8, therefore overcoming the one pitfall of WP7, the fact its doesn't get apps anywhere nearly as quickly as iOS/Android.

You can get some good deals on the nokia phones too, which look quite well made.

I'll be hunting a symbian, but I'm just a bit weird.

You are not the only one :) After 4 years running E71 I upgraded to E7 and now running Symbian Belle. I love Nokia, as you mention they are built to last, no one else make phones like them. I still have my German made almost 10 years old 6310i and is still the best phone I've ever owned.

Back to the topic...I've tried the new Lumia for few days and didn't like it so I went for E7..never regret it.

No personal experience but when I was at a security conference earlier in the year even the phone company reps were talking it down.

No experience of them but one thing to consider is that rumour has it that the current batch of Windows phones won't be able to upgrade to the new release (Apollo?) which is due to land towards the end of this year. May or may not be a concern if you can bag a bargain and you like 7.5 :)

Chris

It does seem that windows phone 7 seems to get a good write up - Would be nice to be able to upgrade to the newer Apollo software when it comes out when I asked at the carphone warehouse they told me that all current Windows Phones will get the free upgrade.

Im not after app s just the ease of use and synchronise between PC and to make a phone call :)

I have a windows 7.5 phone, much better than the windows 7 phone it replaced. One of good features is that you can set it up as a wi-fi hotspot and link up to 5 devices ( ipad, pc etc) works really well.

It does seem that windows phone 7 seems to get a good write up - Would be nice to be able to upgrade to the newer Apollo software when it comes out when I asked at the carphone warehouse they told me that all current Windows Phones will get the free upgrade.

They'll be upgraded to Tango (aka 7.5) which is more of a service refresh but it's looking like nothing past that:

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/Windows-Phone-7.x-Windows-Phone-8-Upgrade-Windows-8-apollo,news-14348.html

Worth going to try one and see if you like it :D

Chris

No experience of them but one thing to consider is that rumour has it that the current batch of Windows phones won't be able to upgrade to the new release (Apollo?) which is due to land towards the end of this year.

As a WP7 owner, i read most of the news sites, and there are as many articles that say all WP7 devices (even the launch devices) will get WP8, as there are saying none will get it.

Being that theres only been like 2 or 3 chipsets in WP devices, theres no doubt in my mind Microsoft can support every single WP7 device for Windows 8, and its going to be down to the device manufacturers to update their drivers for WIndows Phone 8. I'd happily wager everything Nokia have made will be WP8 compatible, and i'd be willing to bet the only phones that don't get WP8 will be low selling launch units.

As a WP7 owner, i read most of the news sites, and there are as many articles that say all WP7 devices (even the launch devices) will get WP8, as there are saying none will get it.

I stand corrected :D

Today's news... http://thenextweb.com/microsoft/2012/04/18/all-windows-phone-handsets-will-run-upcoming-windows-phone-8-update Perhaps they have bowed to the pressure ;)

Chris

I've been a WP7 user for about 18months now, HTC Mozart 7, and have to admit that I love it.

Not having had an Android phone and not wanting an iPhone I can't make any direct comparisons but the OS itself is very slick and the Live tiles let you have a lot of information on the screen. Most Apps allow you to Pin a live tile to the main screen which is pretty handy.

I have a HTC Trophy 7 (level entry device) since last summer. I thought long and hard about what I wanted to replace my last Nokia (symbian) based phone with. iPhone, Android, WP7. WP7 is a ground up build, so not based on the old Windows Mobile, so some features were missing initially (connecting to a 'hidden' wifi ssid for instance), but wifi sharing is handy for devices without data connectivity). Mine only came with 8GB in it it, but I did a 32GB upgrade to it a a month or two back.

The only issue is that you can't easily backup the phone up, apart from when doing a firmware update. Contacts are stored in the cloud (hotmail, gmail, etc). I like the fact that I have the same contacts everywhere - phone, Outlook (on PCs & laptop), etc.

It does exactly what I ask for it, apps are maybe a bit on the limited side, but I am sure that will change over time.

TBH I've had the Lumia a week now and it's OK. Easy to use, pretty quick, decent camera and unlike an iPhone it's OK at actually being a phone. Bit on the big side though it's like having a half a house brick in your pocket.

Having used both IOS & WM7 I think WM7 is a breath of fresh air. If you were to compare it to IOS, then IOS has more apps available, but WM7 makes IOS look ancient & a little like windows 3.1 with its reliance on icons organised in folders.

Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak seems to agree:

http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/wozniak-windows-phone-is-more-beautiful-than-android-and-iphone-1078082

The one downside is that there aren't as many apps available for WM7 yet, but I suspect that will improve rapidly over the next 12-18 months.

I just bough an LG Optimus E900 windows 7 phone, i Have found it to be extremely slick and cool. There have been various comments rearding the windows phone, one of the gripes is that you cannot make your own ringtones from songs etc, well you can , you just need to use a converter, cut the section of song to 40 seconds and 1K or less, and then edit the properties in ZUNE and call it "Ringtone" load onto phone and it appears at top of ringtone list under the title of "custom". works fine probably quicker to do than describe. It can read my emails, texts ect to me, it can write texts, emails by converting audio to text. I can varbally iunstruct it to phone / text/email contacts etc, The list of capabilities is immense and the list of apps is huge and growing all the time. Mine is on pay as you go and i bought the phone for £130 (refurbished). Extemely pleased and impressed. :):rofl:

Hmm not so sure about the Lumia now I've had it a couple of week. I can't get the battery to last a full day, I charge it overnight and by about 8pm the thing dies unless I put it back on charge. It's beginning to do my head in. Wish I'd got something else now. Might flog it and buy something else.

I would have a windows phone like a shot if the hardware was up to the current crop of Android phones

Thats why i like WP7. Microsoft are spending all their time trying to lower the hardware requirements, so even though i've got an old 1Ghz WP7 device, the updates make it quicker every time (unlike my iPhones which got progressively slower). So you don't need a quad-core monster to have a super quick phone. Its very rare the Missus's iPhone 4s is quicker to do stuff faster than my old banger. That said, the camera on mine is %^&*.

Upgrades don't seem to have made much difference. EVERYTHING is switched off, there are no open apps. So far today I've made 1 call and sent 8 texts. In the 6hrs it's been off charge I've used 40% of the battery. If I have to make a lot of calls I can't get through the day, the battery won't last a full working day if the phone is used a lot. Though I've got another upgrade to download, see if that one works.