your figures

Be even cooler if it were in English

I use Google Chrome and it auto translates sites to English for me so tip top tastic link. I am sure there are Google translate add ons for IE and FF etc to get same effect. The site seems to imply that they are actual timed records from each specific car not just manufacturer specs which is good (like the car weights are well higher than the published dry weights Skoda would list) so fuel driver etc all in play.

Another thing to mention is if you had these 2 cars head to head and the VRS was on its winter wheels at 205 not 225 most report back when firing the winters on that their car feels faster and mpg increases noticeably. Smaller contact patch less rolling resistance etc. That would well scupper things in a test though heheh.

Thats a cool link cheers But by the specs listed that's looking like a 2.0TDI PD not the CR TDi. Rev limit is correct for a PD but 500rpm lower than CR. CR is also lighter.

It's an older version of the 1.8TSI engine too, as the current one produces peak power at 4500 not 5000rpm.

Edited by Ultima

Right, lets put this to bed now as its got really tedious:

At the end of the day people buy the car that they want hopefully that suits the circumstances.

I've had diesel for my last 5 cars, inc last 2 cars that were 204 and 225 Bhp that went pretty well.

I have went back to petrol power and the difference in my circumstances is amazing, I don't care about mpg, as why buy a car that looks 'fast' but worry about mpg ? Yes, people may say it is close, but it isn't really, NA petrols v diesel maybe, but turbo petrols ?

I have 'played' with my mate in his VW Scirocco diesel on the dual carriageway (all legal.....) and it was night/day, he is close....he changes gear.....goodbye. Day to day is it that extreme? I dont know, but I would always enjoy passing a diesel !

No-one has questioned the performance of the 2.0TSI engine. It has 30 more BHP so stands to reason that it is quicker. I merely compared as i said before the only comparison i could do (and also Fubar) on the resale values, purchase price etc.

I bought a car as i need a car with good MPG, the £600 difference was enough for me to justify it over a petrol instantly. Yes it has 30 less horsepower but day to day this makes zero difference on my commute to work on the motorway.....the only difference you would see this 30bhp is on a track or on a strip.....I also think that DSG totally changes the car and makes it a lot more eager.

I will try and get on the sprint again this year to re-prove my timings (not that I should need to as no-one else has bothered to prove theirs).

You are right people buy the car they want, but when researching cars and engines, i like to see factual info on forums like this, not total guff.

Tbh jrw, look at the distance on that track that the Gti destroys the Gtd !

Well a second over that distance is pretty telling......how many car lengths?

You keep saying no one wants to try you, well I reckon the 1.8 would be equal if not faster, the 2.0 well we won't talk about that will we?

I personally think you (jrw) disrespect (lol), opinions are what count and we all buy different cars for diff circumstances.

If opinions count in this thread ? Then the diesel is pretty slow but enjoy your mpg, I don't miss my 330d.

You are totally right, i have ZERO respect for lol due to the fact that he can prove nothing that he rights. All he does on this forum is give people false impressions of the 'glorious' 1.8tsi which he incessantly bangs on about at every oppurtunity on every TSI/TDI/MPG thread on here. Without people like myself, Fubar and many others that have ridiculed his claims then people could take his posts as gospel. After many people have asked him many times to prove his '600 mile range', '50+ MPG', 'Some rubbish about coasting', 'some even more rubbish about inertia', 'some labour politics thrown in for good measure', 'fuel costs', 'business tax' etc etc .....time and time again he has failed to prove any of it.

He has been asked by me and others about a million times to set up a fuelly account to prove his claims....time and time again its excuse after excuse.

I have no doubt that the 1.8TSI engine is a good one and i wouldn't put anyone off wanting one but people really should know the full facts when purchasing a car, i know that i like to know everything.

I haven't driven the 1.8tsi so can't provide factual comment in way of comparison but it wouldn't surprise me if it was as quick, if not quicker than the CR, looking at the figures and knowing the CR as I do.

I found the CR to be a compromise, it didn't give particularly good mpg and it wasn't very quick compared to my previous tfsi and my current tsi (when standard). I averaged 37mpg over 2.5 years which wasn't enough to make up for the lack of thrill factor.

My remapped CR made 204bhp and whilst it made a reasonable difference I was convinced it still wasn't as quick as my standard tfsi or tsi prior to remap so peak figures don't tell the whole story.

From experience of my CR I am very surprised a late 6's 0 to 60 is possible but then mine wasn't DSG and I suppose that makes a difference. If it is possible then I fully expect other models such as the 1.8tsi to achieve times also significantly less than the manufacturers claimed figures, this stands to reason. I look forward to seeing jrw do a repeat performance at Inters this year anyway (btw looks like we are both on the ukmkivs stand - i am Black V5 on there). Really makes me wonder what mine would do but I won't be putting it down the strip.

Don't get me wrong, the CR vRS is a good car and it's a nice engine but it just wasn't for me. As for comparisons with the 1.8tsi after all said I would still probably take the CR as it is a vRS at the end of the day and there's not sufficient difference performance-wise to go with the non vRS.

Different people, different needs. I can average 55-60mpg (even had 64mpg on a trip home the other week) on my commute but can also have fun when i need/want to. This is why i bought the diesel version. I don't see the point of buying a 1.8tsi, bang on about the performance of it and then have to granny it everywhere to get this magical 600miles out of a tank. You may as well have bought a 1.2tdi tbh.

And yes, I wanted a VRS so this is why i bought the diesel. Yes, i could have bought the 1.8tsi and stuck a 'fin' (I presume this is a spoiler) on it and pretended i had a VRS and boast about how wonderful it is and it can do better mpg than the diesel but this simply doesn't cut the mustard. If you go out to make your car look like a VRS, buy the VRS. If you aren't worried about mpg, buy the petrol, if you are buy the diesel.....simples.

Why not put your car down the strip?

Sounds like this needs to be settled the old fashioned way..... with a drag race.

I have asked many a time and no-one is willing :wonder:

Edited by jrw

Different people, different needs. I can average 55-60mpg (even had 64mpg on a trip home the other week) on my commute but can also have fun when i need/want to. This is why i bought the diesel version. I don't see the point of buying a 1.8tsi, bang on about the performance of it and then have to granny it everywhere to get this magical 600miles out of a tank. You may as well have bought a 1.2tdi tbh.

And yes, I wanted a VRS so this is why i bought the diesel. Yes, i could have bought the 1.8tsi and stuck a 'fin' (I presume this is a spoiler) on it and pretended i had a VRS and boast about how wonderful it is and it can do better mpg than the diesel but this simply doesn't cut the mustard. If you go out to make your car look like a VRS, buy the VRS. If you aren't worried about mpg, buy the petrol, if you are buy the diesel.....simples.

Why not put your car down the strip?

I agree it's horses for courses and each to their own but I just didn't see the point of having a CR vRS and having to granny it everywhere to get 45 - 50mpg. If I was that way inclined I would get a 1.6CR greenline or whatever it's called. In the end I decided the compromise in performance wasn't worth the extra 7mpg over the tsi. I drive my tsi vRS just as hard but get 30mpg and performance-wise there's no comparison. I appreciate that we're not comparing the CR vRS with the tsi vRS here though.

Just never fancied putting it down to be honest and the thought of ragging the nuts off it when it's not properly warmed up puts me off.

We should try and get ours next to each other on the UKMKIVS stand.

Going back years I remember in bike mags the did power torque graphs and in gear acceleration graphs so you could do comparisons.

don't remember seeing these for cars.

(can't find an example on-line)

I agree it's horses for courses and each to their own but I just didn't see the point of having a CR vRS and having to granny it everywhere to get 45 - 50mpg. If I was that way inclined I would get a 1.6CR greenline or whatever it's called. In the end I decided the compromise in performance wasn't worth the extra 7mpg over the tsi. I drive my tsi vRS just as hard but get 30mpg and performance-wise there's no comparison. I appreciate that we're not comparing the CR vRS with the tsi vRS here though.

Just never fancied putting it down to be honest and the thought of ragging the nuts off it when it's not properly warmed up puts me off.

We should try and get ours next to each other on the UKMKIVS stand.

There must have been something wrong with yours! Driven hard i have only seen below 45mpg a couple of times and lowest i have seen was 42mpg. As i said, grannying it i can see 64mpg.

I will speak to Tabs and I am sure we can get the cars next to each other.

I took mine down the sprint in the morning so the engine was still warm from the drive to the show. Are you camping? If so i am arranging camping somewhere that isn't the official one if you are interested!

There must have been something wrong with yours! Driven hard i have only seen below 45mpg a couple of times and lowest i have seen was 42mpg. As i said, grannying it i can see 64mpg.

I will speak to Tabs and I am sure we can get the cars next to each other.

I took mine down the sprint in the morning so the engine was still warm from the drive to the show. Are you camping? If so i am arranging camping somewhere that isn't the official one if you are interested!

I just drove it hard ;-)

Will be camping at Bruntingthorpe just makes it easier and always a good laugh you should try it.

I just drove it hard ;-)

Will be camping at Bruntingthorpe just makes it easier and always a good laugh you should try it.

I used to do it when it was at Ipswich and also given up on camping at Ed38 due to the amount of k-heads there stealing stuff from cars, keying cars and generally vandalising cars and tents.

Whether this has changed over the last couple of years or at Brunter's i don't know....

I have so far gotten about 32MPG across two full tanks (second click) from my 1.8 TSI DSG. I've found several journeys getting 39-41MPG was usual (early morning on empty A roads sitting on Cruise at 35 - 45mph) as well as my 108 mile round trip from my house to Reading yesterday also getting 40MPG. That was mostly on Cruise at 75-80 indicated.

What I find is that my journeys home come out a little worse because of the traffic and much more stop start driving.

The journey to my other work place is mostly 40-50mph and at 06:00 in the morning so I'm interested to see how it does then. I've not yet had to make that journey.

Regardless I'm happy, I didn't buy it to have incredible economy but it's beating my 1.6 Focus while also having more beans to play with on occasion.

I used to do it when it was at Ipswich and also given up on camping at Ed38 due to the amount of k-heads there stealing stuff from cars, keying cars and generally vandalising cars and tents.

Whether this has changed over the last couple of years or at Brunter's i don't know....

Last two years at Bruntingthorpe has been absolutely fine. I don't leave tent or car unattended though. ED38 has got itself a bit of a reputation for that that's why I've never bothered with it. Inters tends to be an older crowd, i.e not full of kids as it's them that tend to be the knobs.

OP here.

Yep, all I wanted was how many miles one gets out of a tank of petrol :angel:

And then carnage ensued :giggle:

well this thread lead on from your other threads thinking between the diesel and petrol so not totally innocent :bandit: